General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Current 5.4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 02:20 PM
MarcusM
2nd Gear Member

Default Current 5.4 swap

My 5.4 block is currently at the machine shop. I am debating on 2v or 4v heads. I would like to have a power adder in the future, but not 100% sure yet. It will be low compression though. What are your opinions on the 2v/4v heads? Either way I will have to buy cores, and have the head work done. I do have the forged kit for the motor, so I'm not worried about breaking something with a blower. What is the difference between 2v/4v heads on the 4.6/5.4. Is there a difference? Any suggestions on my project. I've read the post on the guy that put a stock 5.4 in a 2000.
I am using the stock 5.4 intake and fuel rails.
Suggestions on Aftermarket injectors, size?
Throttle Body?
MAF?
On the ECU, I will need suggestions too. Would I run a piggy back style computer on my 4.6? Use the 5.4 computer?

Old 08-18-2005, 04:05 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Default RE: Current 5.4 swap

Use the MAF out of a lightning. They're already calibrated for 42 lb injectors?

My vote would be for 4v heads. If you get a p&P job on them, they'll flow much better with FI than the 2v heads.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:34 PM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

ECU: www.megasquirt.info
Megasquirt will run your EFI and ignition, even your traction control. ECC-V will handle guages. Let me know if you need help building and installing megasquirt. People run race cars with that, very impressive.

MAF: You don't need one if you are using megasquirt. All it needs is manifold pressure and rpm reading.

INTAKE: Intake for 5.4L 2v engine on 98 expedition is a 2 stage variable resonance intake. It operates on the same exact principal as intakes found in yamaha duratec engines in Taurus SHO. They have a valve in the plenum which open two halfs of the plenum and forces second resonance which enhances your top end. I never seen ford computers actually use that, perhaps it is another emissions issue. You could flip the valve using a relay circuit and one of the programmable outputs from megasquirt. I bet your intake has that valve too, check the plastic plenum, it is either on the front or rear.

FORCED INDUCTION: Megasquirt has programmable outputs which you can use to activate nitrous when needed, and you can program it to add more fuel as more nitrous flows. Same is true for blowers.

AL
Old 08-19-2005, 11:11 AM
MarcusM
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info on the ECU. Do you personally run MegaSquirt on one of you applications? Seems like it's pretty much fully adjustable.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:53 PM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

i ran it on my crown vic before i wreck it. i had the older version though, i'm waiting for ms2 to be released and that will go into my stang. they released ms2 in march, but i missed and they sold out, now is another chance for it, a new release is just a week or so away.

megasquirt will run anything from your lawn mower to a formula 1 v12 engine.

problem with ecc-iv and v is that there is no way around their stock emission complient program. there are tricks, but they don't work very well, and all the tuners of ecc-v are only really providing data for that croppy emissions complient computer. it amounts to you not utilizing full potential of your engine. all those that went aftermarket ecu way are making more power and last longer, there is a reason for that.

the install i'm doing to my stang will be as much stock looking as possible, i'll achieve this by using stock engine harness and building a chassy for ecc-v and megasquirt and megajolt and fuse boxes. this will bolt up to the location where ecc-v is currely located. as far as tune goes, there is a tune from ecc-iv for year 93 cobra is available out there, somebody cracked the data and posted it on the web, tom cloud has an article on that one. that tune will get you moving fast, you can fine tune using wide band o2 and if you want a more advanced tune, a dyno. though keep in mind, in performance applications there is no single tune that is the best, little things are always adjusted here and there to make you faster, a specialized tune could be even made for the street and particular driver's driving style.

al