General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'99 SVT dying after ran out of fuel??

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 01:50 PM
GoGuard

Default '99 SVT dying after ran out of fuel??

Hello, we have a 1999 Cobra and have been experiencing problems with it dying while idling or when you engage the clutch. The only thing we can connect this to was when it was run out of gas a month or so ago. We don't drive it often but drove it for a week straight and it died 2 or 3 times every time we had it out.

It has a new air filter recently installed and we just put some fuel injector cleaner in. Any other suggestions or idea's?

At first it was dying while waiting at a red light (still does) but twice now, it has died while I was in the middle of turning (had the clutch engaged to turn) and fortunately I could go straight because I couldn't turn the steering wheel with the engine off and another time I was at about 30 mph and was down shifting as I pulled into a turning lane.

Any suggestions or ideas greatly appreciated!!

Lori
Old 10-27-2015, 07:43 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Have you pulled any codes yet? That's where I'd start. I don't think this has anything to do with you running out of gas, but then again, the fuel pump needs gas to cool it. If it ran for an extended time without fuel, it could have been damaged.

Just to clarify, your car will just die at or near idle ?
Old 10-27-2015, 10:02 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

May be worth trying a new fuel filter, it's possible some sediment from the tank got sucked up when you were on empty and is now plugging the filter. $15 part and about as many minutes of your time to replace, it's probably where I'd start.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:45 AM
GoGuard

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
Have you pulled any codes yet? That's where I'd start. I don't think this has anything to do with you running out of gas, but then again, the fuel pump needs gas to cool it. If it ran for an extended time without fuel, it could have been damaged.

Just to clarify, your car will just die at or near idle ?
Haven't pulled any codes, don't have the code thingie, left it somewhere when we moved and haven't bought a new one or haven't taken it to where we normally get it serviced.

Yesterday, it died 3 times, one at a red light while waiting (I was in neutral) and the other 2 times were when I pulled into the driveway and I was able to coast the last 10 feet to where I park it so had the clutch engaged and I'd guess going about 10 mph.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:47 AM
GoGuard

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
May be worth trying a new fuel filter, it's possible some sediment from the tank got sucked up when you were on empty and is now plugging the filter. $15 part and about as many minutes of your time to replace, it's probably where I'd start.
My honey says it has one that is almost brand new but you got a point, it might have gotten clogged completely when we ran out of gas. Will try to get one today.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:52 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

If my understanding of your post is correct, this is a random stalling issue. Could be the IAC valve. (idle air control valve). I just had to replace mine do to idle issues coming to a stop. But it still won't hurt to replace the fuel filter.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:44 PM
GoGuard

Originally Posted by DRAGUL
If my understanding of your post is correct, this is a random stalling issue. Could be the IAC valve. (idle air control valve). I just had to replace mine do to idle issues coming to a stop. But it still won't hurt to replace the fuel filter.
Absolutely a random stalling issue. Can I ask what the cost was to get that replaced? We are saving for his son's school tuition so trying to decide to take the car in and get it fixed or can we live with it until January. It's definitely our secondary car but if the cost isn't much we could go ahead and get it fixed as it is a nuisance. It also died when I was in middle of turning onto a street off a major highway and that could have been bad. Thank you for your reply.