Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What to get for $3000 in parts...

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 04:30 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Originally Posted by BeitzelGT
Will the boss intake help with a street race from a dig or 40 roll?

Also, I guess thats why the Pypes is so much cheaper than other stuff.. not as good of gains.
Yes it will, from a dig you'll be down a little on power at the lower rpm, so if it's a short run like 0-65mph it might hurt you there where the first 40mph are spent in first gear and you are in the area where you lose power till about 30mph. but over a longer run up to around 80 or 90mph you should be better than w/o it. at a 40mph you are at the top of first/start of 2nd. so thats a good spot, you are well out of the area where you lose power down low so it should be good.

Yeah I haven't used any pypes products but if they do have an O/R X I'm sure it would be fine, but that one isn't, it's a partial mid-pipe that ust replaces the factory H with an X and leaves stock cats in place. There really isn't any way to improve on a full mid-pipe though so they should all be the same. Headers and axle-back are another story. Stainless Works and Kooks makes good headers.

Oh yeah, and as someone else said, with the #8 cyl issue I'd recommend BAMA, (american muscle) for tunes, they are the only ones who offer warranty against that happening.

Last edited by Mishri; 02-29-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:15 AM
BeitzelGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
Yes it will, from a dig you'll be down a little on power at the lower rpm, so if it's a short run like 0-65mph it might hurt you there where the first 40mph are spent in first gear and you are in the area where you lose power till about 30mph. but over a longer run up to around 80 or 90mph you should be better than w/o it. at a 40mph you are at the top of first/start of 2nd. so thats a good spot, you are well out of the area where you lose power down low so it should be good.

Yeah I haven't used any pypes products but if they do have an O/R X I'm sure it would be fine, but that one isn't, it's a partial mid-pipe that ust replaces the factory H with an X and leaves stock cats in place. There really isn't any way to improve on a full mid-pipe though so they should all be the same. Headers and axle-back are another story. Stainless Works and Kooks makes good headers.

Oh yeah, and as someone else said, with the #8 cyl issue I'd recommend BAMA, (american muscle) for tunes, they are the only ones who offer warranty against that happening.
Whats all this about the #8 cyl. issue?
Old 03-01-2012, 07:29 AM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

Whats all this about the #8 cyl. issue?
Most of the major tuners have had an issue with piston misfires in the number 8 cylinder. It has been in very few cars, I emphasize very few cars. I'm not saying there isn't something wrong but with such a small sample of an issue there has to be something else going on besides Just engine failure. American Muscle from what I understand guarantees agains #8 failure. I would say however I called them yesterday to ask about that and the dude had no idea what I was talking about so that makes me a bit skeptical. I think there are cases with people using the wrong octane gas. If you are set up for a 93 race tune your knock values in the cylinder are specifically set and locked to the higher burning combustion of 93 octane fuel. If you were to put 87 in the car the combustion cycle would be off and could cause a piston misfire. I can see this happening with people. And the statement about pypes and less power isn't true. Headers, xpipe, and cat back through pypes is a gain of 45-49hp and 15-19 torque. Not many setups your gonna get that could lay that down.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:16 AM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

It'll be a DD until it's paid off, then used as a 2nd car/project toy..

But I will drag it some and most likely a street race every once in a while..

So, a good ride is just as important as power.

Will just the lowering springs not increase handling, only lower?

The eibach kit, maybe due to my lack of knowledge seems to have small gains.
Dude, if your car is a street/strip ride, you should just call us at UPR Products - 561.588.6630. Trust me, we can hook you up. (literally AND figuratively)

I will be getting an auto. May order new on my deployment and if I do, I'll have 3.73s in it. How common is it for people to have drag radials on a dd lol. I've thought about the boss intake just since intake and exhaust will make up for the lost low end power and on a drag, the boss intake would help

The Boss intake is nice, but I'd spend the money on other parts first.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:40 AM
BeitzelGT
2nd Gear Member

Good deal or no....

Stainless Works LT headers with o/r midpipe $1390... seems like a fair price for what you're getting..I know a lot of people have adviced against LT's but I think I will end up going that route, LT, mids, catback exhaust, intake and tune and call it a day for a while.......when the time comes

Also, going to look up UPR's site right now and shoot you an email soon!

Last edited by BeitzelGT; 03-01-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Id go with springs, adjustable dampers etc for suspension

then good lightweight rims and actual good tires, not sumitomos, get pilot supersports

then save up for that frpp 624 hp supercharger

Last edited by Andy13186; 03-01-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

nod a bad choice beitzelGT should be good. sounds like a reasonable price on Long Tube Headers. (for these cars anyway... really reasonable is $750 but we wont see that for a long time)
Old 03-01-2012, 09:54 AM
BeitzelGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
nod a bad choice beitzelGT should be good. sounds like a reasonable price on Long Tube Headers. (for these cars anyway... really reasonable is $750 but we wont see that for a long time)
Yeah, SW got awesome reviews and from videos, they sound amazing.. so I dont want to spend more on the ARH or SLP...

I would like to go with some black saleen wheels in the budget but Im a more performance first, looks second kind of guy.. so the wheels will come later down the road.. but I highly doubt when buying time comes, I stick to my $3000 budget lol, it will def. be HARD.

From UPR's site, i got a intake/tuner, SW headers w. O/R x pipe, magnaflow comp. catback exhaust and a catchcan for $2,996.14 NOT BAD!