Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 03:27 PM
krshelbykr

Default Warranty question

Will taking off my cats void my warranty? Could I just put the stock cats on if I ever have a major issue? And finally, can the dealer see if I ever had a tune on it? And will they refuse to do warranty work if so?

Hopefully my dealer understands because the mustang mechanic and the dealer are heavily involved in the local mustang club.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

This is an age old question which elicits a LOT of opinions and posturing by forum members. And I'M usually one of the first to call people that worry about warranty concerns due to mods panty-wearing wusses. But enough of that...

Legally, a dealership can't deny you warranty work unless they can prove that the item(s) being repaired are due to the mod. However, most dealerships know that most people are... well... panty-wearing wusses.

Stop by your dealership and talk to the service manager. Express your concern. If he says he'll void your warranty, tell him that he's a focking idiot and that you'll find a REPUTABLE dealership to buy from and spend your money on service at. Unless, of course, you're a panty-wearing wuss.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:01 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

First off I don't see a reason to remove cats. When filling out warranty pre approval claims for major repairs on the online form it asks the tech if there is aftermarket equipment installed, it's not up to dealer it' up to Ford. Can they tell if there was a tune? No one has been able to give me a straight answer but I lean towards the "no" based on my experience. That being said I've had a Mustang come in to shop with a P0605 similar to that that states " An attempt has been made to recalibrate this ECM"
Old 06-03-2013, 07:10 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Nuke, not trying to throw gas on a fire here. You know my opinion on the warranty opinion. I have found out recently that ANY Ford dealership can deny you warranty claim / repair service for any reason that they choose. I know that this is a lot different that voiding a warranty, but it can be done and apparently happens from time to time. Not really sure how you can cross that threshold with a dealership, but they can do it. Even to a bone stock vehicle. This has happened to two people I actually know now. Apparently it is the dealerships call and not Ford's. Really leaves me scratching my head to tell you the truth. Sorry if it is a little off topic OP.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:52 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by krshelbykr
Will taking off my cats void my warranty? Could I just put the stock cats on if I ever have a major issue? And finally, can the dealer see if I ever had a tune on it? And will they refuse to do warranty work if so?
Hopefully my dealer understands because the mustang mechanic and the dealer are heavily involved in the local mustang club.
Hello krshelbykr,

Aftermarket parts don’t automatically void any of your warranties. However, if they cause a concern, that specific repair will not be covered. You can refer to your Warranty Guide on page 13 for further info, which is why I recommend speaking with your servicing dealer before installing any aftermarket parts to your vehicle.

Deysha