Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

Turning 2000 Mustang into Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Zombiefro

Default Turning 2000 Mustang into Project

Hey everyone, So I have a buddy with a 4.6 4v 2001 Cobra Stock Motor and Trans

Currently I have a 2000 V6 Automatic , I was wandering two things.

1. Is it worth it/possible to do this switch and what would I need to make it happen
2. Am I better off supercharging the V6?

Any positive advice is appreciated, def checking back to see some responses.
Thanks!
Old 10-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Hill x 21
1st Gear Member

Possible? Yes. Expensive? Yes.

A little while back I bought a 99 V6 with intentions of dropping in a 5.4, ended up flipping it before I even got to the engine bay.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:50 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Its actually an easy, and not so expensive swap honestly. youll need an ecu, wirring, k frame, and some fuel system components, gauge cluster and a few odds and ends. It would probably be cheaper to supercharge, unless your friend is giving you the drivetrain for next to nothing.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:41 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

Is the car itself worth it? If it needs much restoration, or has a lot of miles, adding the cost of that to the engine swap might not be worth it.

Supercharging can make a HUGE change in the feel of the car. My son put one on a V6 and it was AWESOME.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:21 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

How might it not be worth it? A chasis is a chasis, unless its falling apart. If your talking about re-sale value its not worth modding any mustang unless its a desireable classic, period.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:28 AM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
How might it not be worth it? A chasis is a chasis, unless its falling apart. If your talking about re-sale value its not worth modding any mustang unless its a desireable classic, period.
A good car project is a great source of enjoyment and satisfaction, My point is to make sure in advance that the starting car is worthy of your time and expense. Guess how I learned this?

I agree with you about the chassis. If that were the primary source of expensive repairs, you would be home free. You seem to have a pretty good handle on the major mechanical systems. Yet I find that its more likely the ancillary bs that eats me alive--computer problems, fuel injection/sensor problems, electrical issues of all kinds, or a string of failures that never ends.

Some cars make a habit of failures and these are the ones to avoid...Of my 3 modern Mustangs, there is one I would never do as a project car. In addition to needing more repairs than the others combined, it just doesn't have that solid, "will run forever" feel. Yet it has less miles and gets driven less.

Good luck!
Old 10-13-2012, 09:57 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by rbowmar
A good car project is a great source of enjoyment and satisfaction, My point is to make sure in advance that the starting car is worthy of your time and expense. Guess how I learned this?

I agree with you about the chassis. If that were the primary source of expensive repairs, you would be home free. You seem to have a pretty good handle on the major mechanical systems. Yet I find that its more likely the ancillary bs that eats me alive--computer problems, fuel injection/sensor problems, electrical issues of all kinds, or a string of failures that never ends.

Some cars make a habit of failures and these are the ones to avoid...Of my 3 modern Mustangs, there is one I would never do as a project car. In addition to needing more repairs than the others combined, it just doesn't have that solid, "will run forever" feel. Yet it has less miles and gets driven less.

Good luck!
If the swap is done right there really shouldnt be any "new" wiring or sensor issues. All the mustangs from 96-04 use the same chasis harness when it comes to the electrical, u simply bolt the proper engine harness into the connection in the passenger corner of the engine bay. With the proper harness all your sensors should be fine, and also are sensors on the new engine, most are interchangeable between 2v and 4v. When it comes to a computer if you have the proper computer its a plug and play situation, if not a dyno tuner can use the existing computer to get you up and running. So generally when trying to deside if the base is "worth it" the ONLY wirring problems that can hold u back are wirring problems with the chasis electrical system. Any problems with the engine portion of the harness or sensors is irrelevant because its being swapped out in the first place. a 96-2004 mustang is FAR from modern technology, its not to far in the evolution chain from a OBD1 car.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:18 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
If the swap is done right there really shouldn't be any "new" wiring or sensor issues. All the mustangs from 96-04 use the same chassis harness when it comes to the electrical, u simply bolt the proper engine harness into the connection in the passenger corner of the engine bay. With the proper harness all your sensors should be fine, and also are sensors on the new engine, most are interchangeable between 2v and 4v. When it comes to a computer if you have the proper computer its a plug and play situation, if not a dyno tuner can use the existing computer to get you up and running. So generally when trying to decide if the base is "worth it" the ONLY wiring problems that can hold u back are wiring problems with the chassis electrical system. Any problems with the engine portion of the harness or sensors is irrelevant because its being swapped out in the first place. a 96-2004 mustang is FAR from modern technology, its not to far in the evolution chain from a OBD1 car.
Thank you for your thoughtful analysis. You are correct that the concept of this swap is sound and that these cars are excellent prospects because they are simple, well made and last a long time. The chassis and its parts are plentiful, inexpensive and easy to work on.

I believe this is a sound project and that it worth doing.

That said, Having allowed my enthusiasm to get the better of me more than once, I suggest, "Before you get started, check one more time. A problem car with a new v8 is still a problem car. "

An example would be an 01 I had that developed a network of fine cracks in the paint all over the car that would have required full stripping and repainting. Fixing a problem like that can add substantial expense to the project.