V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Clutch problem? T5 Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 01:53 AM
Kodon

Default Clutch problem? T5 Tranny

Hey guys, just bought myself an '03 v6 5spd for my bday and have a few ?'s...

I understand that these cars are basically F150's in a prettier body, but ...

I've driven manuals all my life, but this clutch is by far the most heavy, yet touchy, yet strong, yet "i don't even know how to describe it" I've ever had. Is it normal for the bite point to be all the way out? I have to release the clutch a few inches before it even starts to engage. Is there any way to tighten this up and lower the bite point?

The car also tends to shudder in 1st and R on occasion. I'm not letting the clutch out too quickly. Hell, if anything, I'm burning the crap out of it by riding it for too long. But sometimes when I take off, the car will shudder as if I was trying to take off in 3rd gear or something. When it does this, it normally shudders in 2nd gear too, but much worse. My best friend, a life long stick shift driver drove it today, and I swear I thought she was going to drop the tranny right there on the street. She let the clutch out too quickly in 2nd, and was able to replicate the "first time stick driver bucking" that we all make fun of. I laughed 'til I almost puked once I was sure she didn't rip the tranny out. lol
But on a serious note, what's that all about? Do I just have to learn to feather the clutch more, or is there something going on here?
When I'm in R, the car goes insane. I can't reverse quickly without fear of the "clutch slapping the tranny too hard" if that makes sense.

Also, go under 20mph and 2nd gear whines. I mean a whine you can FEEL in the gear stick.

I have a lot of Ford motor knowledge, and have done a fair share of work on manual trannys, but never on the t5. I don't want to jump to conclusions and try to fix everything when there really isn't anything to fix.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Kodon

Bump it up!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Danielsmustang
2nd Gear Member

Most likely its your throwout bearing. Its the bearing that rides on the input shaft and is being held by the clutch fork. Its really inexpensive. 20 bucks or so at your local auto parts. The whining could be your pilot bearing? That im not to sure of. If i where you, i would take it down and inspect everything, Replace everything, check your clutch, make sure they aligned it right. Check the flywheel for hotspots. Replace all the bearings. It should be fine. My car had a horrible shake 1st, 2nd and 3rd. After that it wouldnt shake, Because i was going faster. reverse was like an earthquake. I replaced my throwout bearing and my car shifts smooth now.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:36 PM
Kodon

Originally Posted by Danielsmustang
Most likely its your throwout bearing. Its the bearing that rides on the input shaft and is being held by the clutch fork. Its really inexpensive. 20 bucks or so at your local auto parts. The whining could be your pilot bearing? That im not to sure of. If i where you, i would take it down and inspect everything, Replace everything, check your clutch, make sure they aligned it right. Check the flywheel for hotspots. Replace all the bearings. It should be fine. My car had a horrible shake 1st, 2nd and 3rd. After that it wouldnt shake, Because i was going faster. reverse was like an earthquake. I replaced my throwout bearing and my car shifts smooth now.
I was thinking tob as well, a friend and i are gonna take it down and check it over the weekend.
If the fly does have hot spots on it, is that something I can "resurface" or do I need to get a new one?
Thanks man
Old 03-15-2012, 08:11 AM
Danielsmustang
2nd Gear Member

Well i have heard of people resurfacing their flywheel. Your best bet would be taking it to your local machine shop and ask them to resurface it. Unless now that the flywheel is down you put a aluminum flywheel
Old 03-15-2012, 10:44 AM
V6Stang93
1st Gear Member

I just replaced my clutch a month ago and got mine resurfaced for a total of 25 bucks. Dunno how much it'll cost around your place.