V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

02 Mustang MAF MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR STILL CODING AFTER REPLACEMENT

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 05:23 PM
cadreamin

Question 02 Mustang MAF MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR STILL CODING AFTER REPLACEMENT

Have a 2002 V6 Mustang that I was driving two days ago when it became gutless on the freeway. Service Engine Light cameon , Then Temp gauge plummeted to Zero "C" and no power when I hit the gas. pulled over and had it towed to repair shop. They ran a code check, changed the MAF Sensor and it still codes "MAF sensor problem"

Service Engine is off
Temp gauge working
Idles good.
Just there still is a code for the MAF sensor

Not sure if the guy just tried to clean it, or possibly touched the new part with his hands...

Could it be a fuel filter maybe? Any ideas?

Anyone else had this problem... I am not a mechanic, just a girl who bought the car 5 years ago from a friend after getting hit by a semi in my old car...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.....
Old 09-30-2012, 06:57 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums, glad to see you came out ok after a run in with a Semi. x_x

Have the shop check it out again, they did not fix the problem and you have rights in this case.

You could have a wiring problem, there is a little pigtail harness that goes between the MAF and main harness, they are cheap and easy to replace, you could very easily replace it on your own if that is the case, they can also check it for problems.

You also have a right to know where they got the new MAF, how much it cost and what they did with your old MAF.

Always ask for your old parts to be sure that you do get new ones, girls are prayed on the most by bad shops.

Good luck, hope it all works out for ya.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:16 AM
cadreamin

Default 02 Mustang losing mpg and gutless

Had the MAF fixed in September. Ran fine thereafter. Last night I got on the freeway (had just driven 20 fwy miles) got back on freeway and when trying to accelerate, and could not go faster than 50. Finally I was able to get to 60 then 65.

I noticed the last couple of days my car was really sucking gas. I usually get 22 on the streets and 28 on the hwy. I am down to 11 mpg. It has 88,000 miles on it.

Any suggestions on what I should look for besides a mechanic?

Thanks

PS I got hit by a semi in 07 and bought this car from a friend because she took such good care of it. Otherwise I would still be driving my other car
Old 11-06-2012, 02:52 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Take it to sears and have them scan for codes for you, they will do it for free.

I hate that you cant just borrow one from the parts store here in Cali like you can in every other damn state.

Good luck.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:09 AM
cadreamin

Took the car to a repair place they said "Because there is no check engine light, they would not check the codes. Even if my mileage is bad.

This was not Sears. Can you check if there is no light?