Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

SCREWED UP MY VINYLS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 07:14 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: SCREWED UP MY VINYLS!!!

I can relate...tried tinting my rear window(first attempt on a curved piece of glass) what a royal pain in the...took what seemed like forever, and I had a few hissyfit wads of tint on the floor when I was done...think I wadded up 3 times more than I used...next time I'll take it somewhere, as much as I loathe having anyone do anything on my cars for some stupid reason...

A friend of mine has a bodyshop, I asked him about tips for putting on vinyl(bought a roll of black reflective, kinda pricey, not enough ectra to allow for mistakes) anyway, he said its a lot like tint- few drops of dawn dishsoap in a gallon of water, spray it on real wet, 'float' into position, then squeegee out...now I just have to find a safe way to diagonal cut a 4"x20' roll of tape to match the huge paper cad plot I had made of the layout...the stuff is like 200 bucks a roll, just havent had the confidence to take a knife to it yet to top it off, I'd cutout the first cad plot to tape it on the car/verify fit, pencilled in some adjustments, carefully rolled it up took in the house, went somewhere...apparently didnt tape the roll very well and the paper template I had messed with for a couple hours unrolled off the table andbecame bedding for our miniature schnauzer...she never tears anything up, but guess that thin drafting paper was too tempting. never fails...'the dog ate my homework'...
Old 07-05-2007, 09:08 AM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for ALL the tips everyone...

As you can see in my new sign photo...I finally figured it out - YAAAAAA!!!! Boy I tell, using a hair dryer really made a difference. It was like magic. I would hit the difficult areas (around the bumpers) with the hair dryer, rub a little with my thumb, and the stripes would lay right down...

Thanks again....
Old 07-05-2007, 09:09 AM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: seniorsmith

As you can see in my new sig photo...I finally figured it out - YAAAAAA!!!! Boy I tell, using a hair dryer really made a difference. It was like magic. I would hit the difficult areas (around the bumpers) with the hair dryer, rub a little with my thumb, and the stripes would lay right down...

Thanks again....
Old 07-05-2007, 09:10 AM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

As you can see in my new sig photo...I finally figured it out - YAAAAAA!!!! Boy I tell ya, using a hair dryer really made a difference. It was like magic. I would hit the difficult areas (around the bumpers) with the hair dryer, rub a little with my thumb, and the stripes would lay right down...

Thanks again....
Old 07-05-2007, 12:52 PM
Eleanor06
3rd Gear Member

Looks sharp!!!!!!!! Congrats
Old 07-05-2007, 11:53 PM
BlackSpirit
2nd Gear Member

Looks good! glad to hear the hair dryer worked out for ya!