Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Pics of quarter window louver install

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 01:00 PM
ahkitekt
1st Gear Member

to quote Jet21, who was a HUGE help...

Regarding your post about the hubcapsplus.com/wheelskin.com louvers. I bought a pair of them 2 weeks ago. They look the closest thing to flush mounts than all the others. The paint match(my car is Alloy Metallic) was perfect. Mounting is simple, just make sure you do a couple test fits first. The only bad thing about these louvers is that they are NOT painted on the inside. They are grey inside, so when inside you car looking out you see grey louvers. Not a problem though because you can get some Krylon spray paint and paint the inside to match your interior before you install them. I emailed them about this and they said Krylon paint is good to use. I painted mine flat black on the inside. Here are a couple of tips that might help you:

1) Before painting the inside, use plastic wrap on the painted side of the louvers. I cut 5 pieces for each louver and applied them to the painted side making SURE to cover the louver slot so no paint can overspray onto the painted side. Begin painting using light coats. I think I did about 7 coats totally...just paint per the instructions on the paint can.

2) To align them on your window. Cut 6 1" pieces of scotch tape. Stick one on the middle end of the small end of the louver at the very edge, then stagger the other two pieces of tape on the large end of the louver. Now you should have your louver with 2 pieces of tape on the large side and one on the small. Now align your louvers on the window. Place the other 3 tape pieces on your car body across from the tape on your louvers. When you are sure they're aligned properly, take a magic marker and draw a straight line from each piece of tape on the louver extending to the tape pieces on the body. These will act as alignment lines when you actually install the louver. Next, peel off the 3m tape cover and install the louver using your alignment marks. You'll be happy with the results.

-the tape pieces allow you to draw dots or lines to use when slowly applying the 3m louver to the glass perfectly. then press hard, but not too hard. let sit for up to 24 hours.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:19 PM
DylanFan
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahkitekt
I spent 2 days this weekend working on the car. Wash, wax, clay bar, Oil Change/filter, K&N Air Filter, interior, etc. Everything.

Then I did the louver install on the side quarter windows. I followed the advice of site member Jet21, and the install was quick and successful. Doing numerous mock-ups, and using painter's tape with magic marker lines made the one-shot install a success.

Yes I wish they were more heavy duty and more engaged in the car wall system instead of right on the glass, BUT, for the money I think they look great.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...8/DSC05292.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...8/DSC05295.jpg
How is the vision out of the louvers? I have a tight parking spot at work so I need to be able to see out of the quarter windows as I exit my parking spot. What is the brand of the louvers you installed and did they come already painted? Where did you get them?

Thanks
Old 09-13-2008, 09:44 PM
ahkitekt
1st Gear Member

the vision is of course a bit limited, but you can still see out. basically i look twice as much now, giving that little extra look while pulling into my parking spot in my garage. While driving I don't see it as much of an obstruction
Old 09-13-2008, 09:46 PM
ahkitekt
1st Gear Member

meanstang08 - honestly i forget. they were put on fresh about 4 months ago and the guy doing the install said it was not very easy to find this color as it is not one he frequently uses.