Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

20" rims

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:53 PM
all2qwik

my 06 handles great and looks great on 20's
Old 06-19-2009, 06:24 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Here are my low profile 20's and yes you feel the potholes more and have to slow down greatly for railroad tracks and speedbumps etc......I have 30 series all around and like War Machine 115 I am getting taller tires in the future when the BFGoodrichs are toast. I love the handling and stick to the 285/30/20's in back and the wide 265's up front but the tires in front are NOT even 27 inches tall.....you live and learn but they do IMO look great and I have NO drop (yet)

see the small side wall in front (I have had no issues but am always careful and know the areas that I drive)

Old 06-19-2009, 08:26 AM
GM EATER
2nd Gear Member

another couple of sharp cars with 20's !!
Old 06-19-2009, 08:45 AM
Poco
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GM EATER
The Dark Horse / Speedstar Saleen wheels look great! Saleen used the 20" wheels with great success I guess everyone has different feel for the road. My S-281 handles like it's on rails. What hood are you using and how much did it cost? Looks great! The GT brakes get lost though, in those rims. Time for a big brake kit to stop all that reciprocating mass!
Reciprocating mass means moving parts like the engine...crank shaft,connecting rods and cams.Rotational mass is what your talking about..flywheels,wheels and tires.I got an explanation from my engineer daughter.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:10 PM
tim.route

Originally Posted by Starfire
EH? My 20's have a lot more traction then the stockers, they also increased handling a lot!
Put the same height and width tires on a 16" or 17" wheel, 20" would be heavier, rougher, and less traction
Old 06-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tim.route
Put the same height and width tires on a 16" or 17" wheel, 20" would be heavier, rougher, and less traction
If you put the same height (35) and same width (255) your ride would be the same since the sidewall is the same, also if you have the same width your traction would be the same, plus you'd have way to thin of a tire for a mustang on that size rim, it would look silly and your speedo would be way off. Granted some 20's are heaver but the stock wheels are no light weights either.

If you wanted to get real technical since the radius is smaller the rate at which the circumference of the wheel would vector away from the tangent would be higher which would in turn of course be translated to the tire and due to the vector rate of a small wheel your contact patch would be ever so slightly smaller causing a reduction in traction, unless you ran a lower PSI to compensate for that, it's nothing that will really be noticed in the real world though(at least I don't imagine so) and that is WAY to much math for friday!

Last edited by Starfire; 06-19-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:56 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

If you put the same height (35) and same width (255) your ride would be the same since the sidewall is the same, also if you have the same width your traction would be the same, plus you'd have way to thin of a tire for a mustang on that size rim, it would look silly and your speedo would be way off. Granted some 20's are heaver but the stock wheels are no light weights either.

If you wanted to get real technical since the radius is smaller the rate at which the circumference of the wheel would vector away from the tangent would be higher which would in turn of course be translated to the tire and due to the vector rate of a small wheel your contact patch would be ever so slightly smaller causing a reduction in traction, unless you ran a lower PSI to compensate for that, it's nothing that will really be noticed in the real world though(at least I don't imagine so) and that is WAY to much math for friday!

Ouch, my brain hurts now. 50 lash's with a wet noodle for you for all that real world math on a Friday......
Old 06-19-2009, 01:15 PM
GM EATER
2nd Gear Member

I'll go with your daughter rotational mass works! 20's Rock!
Old 06-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
Ouch, my brain hurts now. 50 lash's with a wet noodle for you for all that real world math on a Friday......
LOL I know, that was about the extent of my brain power for the day

Just seems there has been a lot of 20's are no good threads around lately. My switch from 18" Stock polished bullets to my 20" Konig Beyonds (Incidentally I'm the car of the month on there web site. Woot!!) I gained a ton of handing, I'm sure it was wheels AND tires, and I don't feel I lost any power, but I did gain traction with my wider tires which sometimes feels like a power loss since I don't spin as easy.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:55 PM
tim.route

Are you an idiot? I meant that the tires were the SAME width and height. Never said anything about aspect ratios and such. I mean measure the tire you put on your 20" with a tape measure and then find a 16" or 17" tire that is the same. You would have the same circumference and width but with more side wall.

Quick Reply: 20" rims