Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

2005 Convertible Rear window problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 05:08 PM
stanrohrer

Default 2005 Convertible Rear window problem

Hi everyone. Have any of you who have 2005 convertibles had any problems with your rear window? Mine is coming unglued around the top and sides on the outside and the defroster stripes are coming off. It's not like I put the top up and down a thousand times a day. This started a few months ago and just is getting worse. I was just wondering if anyone else was having this issue and how they got it fixed and how much it cost.

I see some places sell replacement roofs, so I'm wondering just how hard it is to remove the old one and put a new one on. Anyone do this yet?

Thanks,

Stan
Old 10-08-2009, 11:50 AM
RJD2001

Unhappy 2005 Convertible Rear Window Problem

This seems to be a design flaw. The cost to replace is $2000 per dealer. I've been sending Ford a lot of e-mails in an attempt to get them to declare this a problem and repair it at their cost. Ran into another owner at the mall this weekend and her window has almost completely fallen out and can't drive it when it rains . . . needless to say leaks like a sieve. Owners need to all contact Ford regarding this problem so they will do a recall or free replacement for those with problems. I also wondered about the replacement tops. Let me know if you find out anything about them.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

I don't have any issues with mine, but I suspect the glass window is attached to the vinyl with glue.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Pony123
2nd Gear Member

I have the same problem

Edit : the cornor rubber actually fell off
Old 10-08-2009, 02:05 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

If I were you, I would look into a removable convertible hard top. That way, it will last waaaaay longer than a cloth top. It may cost a lot more, but in the long run it would be $$ well spent plus it looks cooler,

See if these guys have one;

http://www.smoothline.com/
Old 10-08-2009, 05:30 PM
azrael_nite
1st Gear Member

Any idea if there is a petition anywhere?
Old 10-09-2009, 08:30 AM
stanrohrer

Well my car got flooded because of all the rain we had here in GA a couple weeks ago and the rear window was worse than I thought it was. Carpet reeks now. Had an inch of water on the floor boards.
I finally found a way to fix the problem with the window temporarily that seems to work. Had to get some fairly quick setting epoxy that works on just about anything at Home Depot or Lowes. I think the stuff I got works on marine applications as well. I glued down the vinal to the glass with that. Had to hold if for a while in a few spots. Then a ran a thin line of it around the entire window to hold everything and give it all a little strength. After that dried (gave it a day) I put some clear silicone around everything, using it to fill in areas I just couldn't get glued flat.

It doesn't look too bad, not great but it does the job for now until I can get Ford to do something of come up with $2k for new roof. Let me know if you want to see pictures. I'll post them.

I've raised and lowered the top about half a dozen times since this repair job and it seems to be holding. I check it every day for leaks, tears etc. It's gone through a few good rains and is water tight.

The problem with the damn defroster stripes is annoying and there's nothing I can do about it other than keep the car in the garage.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:09 AM
azrael_nite
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stanrohrer
Well my car got flooded because of all the rain we had here in GA a couple weeks ago and the rear window was worse than I thought it was. Carpet reeks now. Had an inch of water on the floor boards.
I finally found a way to fix the problem with the window temporarily that seems to work. Had to get some fairly quick setting epoxy that works on just about anything at Home Depot or Lowes. I think the stuff I got works on marine applications as well. I glued down the vinal to the glass with that. Had to hold if for a while in a few spots. Then a ran a thin line of it around the entire window to hold everything and give it all a little strength. After that dried (gave it a day) I put some clear silicone around everything, using it to fill in areas I just couldn't get glued flat.

It doesn't look too bad, not great but it does the job for now until I can get Ford to do something of come up with $2k for new roof. Let me know if you want to see pictures. I'll post them.

I've raised and lowered the top about half a dozen times since this repair job and it seems to be holding. I check it every day for leaks, tears etc. It's gone through a few good rains and is water tight.

The problem with the damn defroster stripes is annoying and there's nothing I can do about it other than keep the car in the garage.
Post some pics please. Would be nice to see what we might all be in for. Thanks