Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about getting a new 'stang

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 07:21 AM
mojavewolfpup

Default Questions about getting a new 'stang

Hello,

I have a few questions about the 2006 mustang, and will probably think of more

Is the 4.0 V6 new for the mustang, or carried over from the explorer/ranger/aerostar parts bins?

What about the 4.6 V8? Is that carried over from the F150/Econoline parts bins, or new for the mustang GT?

5 Speed Automatic (I know, I know, it's a muscle car, but a auto will be alot easier for the long drives) Is that a all new design, or taken from another ford vehicle? Any serious problems with it?

I am not real concerned about little squeaks,rattles, slightly slow power mirrors, etc. I am more concerned about serious things like the following: Engine Fires,Fires of any kind, Serious Engine flaws that require a new engine, complete steering/braking system,replacements, mechanical flaws,draining batteries,misfiring engines,sloppy shifting transmission, etc. Do the mustangs have any problems like what I mentioned?

I see the Mustang's have cruise control. Do they use the same part as the F150's, etc that burn down? all I know is that is a texas instruments part that burns down the trucks, and the recall number is: 05S28. I tried finding the part number but can't.

I saw posts about the shaker systems draining the battery due to the amp possibly. has this been fixed, or is easily fixed on your own?

Thanks for your help!

Dane
Old 03-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Big Red
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Questions about getting a new 'stang

The 4.0L V6 is the top of the line engine from the Ford Ranger, but I think the 4.6 V8 is all new for the Mustang. I love the V6, its big, it sounds mean, has lots of room for add ons, and really nice torque, plus I hear its damn near impossible to damage.

Mine is Standard but I also drove a rental Automatic and it was very smooth, I liked it a lot better than some other autos, and from what I hear from people here who have it, they have no issues with it. I dont know if it was taken from any other vehicles.

There have been no major mechanical issues with the new Mustangs, they have a few TSBs but I dont think there have been any recalls at all. Sure there have been problems with individual cars here and there, but nothing on a major scale, which is true for most cars.

Ford stopped using that fauly Cruise Control Switch in 2004 and they are replacing it for free on any car on the road that still has it, also, that part was never used on the Mustang, only the trucks, SUVs and Crown Vic had it. So the answer is no, no new mustangs will have that part.

My Shaker system has not given me any bettery problems, from what I understand of those problems it was only if people left the car sitting for weeks without running the engine.

Hope this helps and you decide to grab your stang while theyre hot.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:08 PM
hootch

Big Red,
You had me curious about the 4.0 engine being the same as the Ranger so I checked it out.
http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/r...res/specs/#per
http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mus...eatures/specs/
I'm not sure if the block is the same; they are both cast iron and they look similiar in the specs. What's different is the heads, or at least some minor differences. The 4.0 Stang uses different lifters. The fuel injection system is different too. There are very minor diffences in the horsepower and torque, but that might come from the different lifters and/or the different fuel injection...I'm not an expert so who knows!

I've never heard of any major problems with either the GT or the V-6. I personally know the salesman who sold me my GT. He even comes to my house and takes my vehicles to the dealership for oil changes at no extra charge. Gone drinking with him too. He's never told me of any problems, if there was I'm sure he would have told me by now.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:26 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Most of your questions can be answered by searching through the 2005-2006 threads! Search for "new engine" to see my story!
You might want to try renting the V-6 Mustang. Many are out there since Ford owns or has arrangments with at least one of the big rental compnies. They might not have a GT. But the power is good in the V-6, though the automatic will be different.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:40 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

the 4.0 or calogne block is actually goes as far back as the early 60s as a 2.8. they respond good to mods but cant hold boost like the old essex used to.

the 4.6 was new in 96 with NPI heads, then in 99 they went to PI heads and now in 05 they went to a 3 valve design.

as for the CD players, even the old mach systems have problems as you will with any in dash player.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:16 PM
mojavewolfpup

ORIGINAL: mustangman02232

the 4.0 or calogne block is actually goes as far back as the early 60s as a 2.8. they respond good to mods but cant hold boost like the old essex used to.

the 4.6 was new in 96 with NPI heads, then in 99 they went to PI heads and now in 05 they went to a 3 valve design.

as for the CD players, even the old mach systems have problems as you will with any in dash player.
I think my mom will be running far and wide if the 4.0 is from the cologne assembly series. She's got a dead 1993 ford explorer with a 4.0 V6 and is *very* leary of ford because of that. 64,000 miles, parked in 2000 due to a crack in the #4 cylinder is what she thinks killed it. I've got some theories from stuff I read (improperly torqued heads, etc but can't check those out yet)

I can understand her pain, as it was a $22K purchase for her (the explorer was her very first new car) and she is sour about it. She *really* loves the mustang though, but doesn't want to end up with another ford parked behind the explorer due to a engine failure or something serious going wrong with it.

If it is the same block design that is in her explorer, she will probably pass on that and probably go for the GT since it is a all new design it is sounding like. Any serious flaws in that block design? It's had 10 years to blow up and burn up, so it's probably got millions of miles logged on them to test them

What about the frame of the mustang? all new design, or carried over from something like the crown victoria?

Thanks for all your help!

Dane
Old 03-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Big Red
2nd Gear Member

The platform of the new Mustang is a modified Lincoln LS/Jaguar S-Type platform. Biggest difference is they used a live rear axle on the stang.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:45 AM
bscottie
3rd Gear Member

how much money?
how much power?
how many mods?
how much time?

it all depends on "how much" you want, I have the V-6, I bought instead of the GT, figured I could use the difference of price for the joy of mods, would have done most of same or similar mods to GT, then end up with more overall money, wont get close to GT numbers but still have good lookin car and good performance as well, 190-200 rwhp aint that shabby and still push about 20 mpg in a great lookin car, you cant go wrong either way. 3/36 warranty on both, add 1200 to 1500 for another 2/24 for a full 5/60 warranty and go for it, plenty of info here to guide you along GT or V6
Old 03-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Wicked Pony
3rd Gear Member

I thought they scrapped the idea of using the Lincoln LS platform. No, I think it is all brand new for the '05 Stang.