Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you can "CLUTCHLESS SHIFT" in your GT's? Have you heard of this technique?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 12:44 AM
Big Red
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How many of you can "CLUTCHLESS SHIFT" in your GT's? Have you heard of this technique?

ORIGINAL: chrisc

i had a friend who had no idea what a standard car was, and thought that the clutch was, what he called, "a weak-*** break"

so yeah, you can sift without using the clutch...but you will end up trashing your car
I laughed my *** off to that one, then I IMed it to my friend,a nd so did he, haha
Old 03-17-2006, 01:11 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: How many of you can "CLUTCHLESS SHIFT" in your GT's? Have you heard of this technique?

pulling against synchros is not a good idea...yes, it can be done, but even if done properly, you are likely putting more drag on the synchronizers than if clutch depressed, and as the synchro is in itself a kind of tiny clutch, it wont save any wear on your car- replacing synchronizers(and the little grindings that come off into tranny oil as they wear) will cost way more than any clutch job. the synchros are only designed to spool up the mass of the tranny gears to allow clean meshing, dragging it while holding pressure till rpm synchs up is gonna tear it up. Ive had to drive home when my clutch fluid ran low on my F150 by shutting off/starting in gear and clutchless shifting(and ripping to neutral before having to slow/stop), and its no big deal...but probably 100-1000 times more wear per shift on the synchros than normal. Starting in gear cannot be healthy on the starter either, but it can be done too if theres no fluid in your clutch master cylinder. While were at it, park on a hill, coast and pop the clutch to start works(even in reverse), umm, well, thats about alll the 'possible-but-bad-ideas-for-no-real-reason' that I can think of at the moment

oh yeah- on old fords(say 1969) you can step on the brake pedal, turn emg flashers halfway on and the radio will play without the key in the ignition...but blower fan will run if switched on, lamps will all glow dim(filaments backfeed current to accessories), battery will rapidly go dead, and if youre about 10 yrs old, mom will woop your butt for killing her battery to listen to the radio for a few minutes That one I especially recall as a bad idea...
Old 03-17-2006, 01:46 AM
ss
2nd Gear Member

One word........." OUCH! "
Old 03-17-2006, 11:24 AM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: MikeHawke

ORIGINAL: Tik_Tok

It's how I usually drove my old 83 accord (my car before my 05 stang), it was easy as pie in that thing, it's also easy on F-350 diesel

I tried it 1/2 dozen times in my stang, and haven't been able to do it yet.
well you better just keep on trying till you get it right then.....NOT!

It CAN be done in some cars because syncros are pretty decent these days but I would NEVER EVER try it on a car that I cared about. I have done it at low RPM in my old GT. If you are really careful and gentle, it will go into gear sometimes but I wouldn't count on it.

The guys who do it at the track (and NASCAR) have straight cut gears (ours are helical).

Don't shift without the clutch. It's bad m'kay.

+1 - what I do, m'kay, when I race at the track, m'kay, is powershift by getting the clutch down just those few inches I need to grab gear, m'kay Lot's of practice, m'kay, and you can shift so fast you'll think you're doing it clutchless, m'kay.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:34 AM
zx9rpilot
2nd Gear Member

Cltuchless shifting done on hi revving motorcycles quite a bit.

Last time I had a dyno run done on my bike, the guy asked me if I didn't mind him doing it that way. Was standing right next to the bike and he didn't grind a single gear. His explanation was the higher revving motor and very compact tranny makes it easier IF YOU KNOW HOW TO DO IT!

Personally....not gonna do it!
Old 03-17-2006, 11:39 AM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

my dad has done it a few times in my mustang, but i didnt even dare to try it lol
Old 03-17-2006, 12:25 PM
351PONY
2nd Gear Member

I'd kill my Dad if he did that to my new car...unless of course he bought it for you. [sm=icon_beat.gif]
Old 03-17-2006, 01:05 PM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

Bikes have a completely different type of tranny and cluth setup. A constant mesh close ratio tranny means the gears are always in constant sync and don't require a clutch to shift at all. You can do it at any rpm-downshift or upshift.

I'm surprised if you have a bike you've never done it...at least on your bike.
It's 10x easier than a car and doesn't hurt the clutch or tranny at all. Bike trannys won't grind like car trannys. I've never seen or heard of a bike grinding unless you're switching from neutral to first and the clutch is worn out, then it won't slip in as easy. (with a close ratio tranny and clutch setup -i don't know what cruiser-type bikes have so that may be different)

Try it: accelerate quickly (doesn't have to be ***** to the wall but it helps), but a little upward pressure on the shifter and blip the throttle quickly...it'll slide in nice like...like butta'

Watch an AMA race, the only use the clutch on downshifts into turns...other than that they rarely touch it. Enjoy.

ORIGINAL: zx9rpilot

Cltuchless shifting done on hi revving motorcycles quite a bit.

Last time I had a dyno run done on my bike, the guy asked me if I didn't mind him doing it that way. Was standing right next to the bike and he didn't grind a single gear. His explanation was the higher revving motor and very compact tranny makes it easier IF YOU KNOW HOW TO DO IT!

Personally....not gonna do it!
Old 03-17-2006, 01:24 PM
KFC
1st Gear Member

TwiceI broke the clutch cable in my '88 . Clutchless shifting got me home from accross town. I took all the back roads so I could blow some stop signs safely, but I did have to stop somtimes. I'm sure that turning the key with the car in 1st gear to launch it from a stop was harder on it than the clutchless shifting.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:12 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: blackfoot

i clutchless shift al the time, its better for your car as long as you dont mess up and grind your gears, clutch life is extended x5 matching RPM is easy upshifting, take off in first, and when you want to shift, with your foot steady not accelerating (enough to not put load on your tranny) side your shifter out of first, as you hit neutral release the gas, but continue to move your hand towards 2nd.. hold moderate constant pressure as your rpms drop to match road speed for the next gear it will simply fall in, and repeat all the way to 5th...

downshifting.. slowdown, bring your rpm somewhere below 2 grand, with your foot steady again slide to neutral, give a shot of gas maybe around 4000 if your learning (youll know the apprx rpm you want to be around the more you do it and pay attention where you shifter falls in gear) release the throtle, and with your hand already holding pressure to the lower next gear say 5th to 4th, as the rpms drop so the engine matchs road speed for that gear it will fall in.

now if your applying pressure to hard you may grind or too less you may grind also, the feel comes with learing

typically transmission should only have synchros in 1st (like tractor trailers) (well int hat case low) lol full use of the transmission can safely be used without the clutch.. but if you grind to often or once too hard youll find yourself with a broken sych and chiped teeth on your output shaft

PLEASE DO NOT SPREAD INFORMATION LIKE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

Shifting without a clutch is completely unnecessary and potentially very damaging to your transmission.