Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too much horsepower?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 07:11 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Too much horsepower?

ORIGINAL: NYSE PONY

ORIGINAL: Derf00

At last Derf and Jbail I fell like I am reading knowlegable replies. As I just posted on the SC thread I am about to do the SC thing and don't want to go CRAZY with it. Going for the Procharger 3core air to air so that future engine mods will get me to around 600RWHP. BUT for now I want to stay within the safe and reliable realm. At least until this car is not my daily driver.

With 600rwhp you will need to upgrade the internals, fuel system, the tranny, and get a stiffer rear to keep from squatting all the time when you whomp on it even conservatively. They will not hold that amount of power for any reasonable amount of time especially under track use. You'll need to make about 700hp at the crank to get 600rwhp if you take the standard 10-15% powertrain loss for an auto and 10-12% for a manual.

I plan on getting Sean Hyland to build the next motor to hold 800 hp at the crank. Suggestions on the suspension? Whats the "Best" product out there for this kind of thing? JMS Performance is doing the Super Charger for me and I told them to keep it Conservative for now. Will cross the tranny bridge when I get to it....
All depends, what is your ultimate goal for the car? Drag suspension would probably be best but would suck for daily driving, and daily driver suspension would suck for the drag strip on that beast. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:14 PM
NYSE PONY

At last Derf and Jbail I fell like I am reading knowlegable replies. As I just posted on the SC thread I am about to do the SC thing and don't want to go CRAZY with it. Going for the Procharger 3core air to air so that future engine mods will get me to around 600RWHP. BUT for now I want to stay within the safe and reliable realm. At least until this car is not my daily driver.

With 600rwhp you will need to upgrade the internals, fuel system, the tranny, and get a stiffer rear to keep from squatting all the time when you whomp on it even conservatively. They will not hold that amount of power for any reasonable amount of time especially under track use. You'll need to make about 700hp at the crank to get 600rwhp if you take the standard 10-15% powertrain loss for an auto and 10-12% for a manual.

I plan on getting Sean Hyland to build the next motor to hold 800 hp at the crank. Suggestions on the suspension? Whats the "Best" product out there for this kind of thing? JMS Performance is doing the Super Charger for me and I told them to keep it Conservative for now. Will cross the tranny bridge when I get to it....
All depends, what is your ultimate goal for the car? Drag suspension would probably be best but would suck for daily driving, and daily driver suspension would suck for the drag strip on that beast. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
My goal is a daily driver that kicks butt and takes names on the street. I live in a relatively small town and with the SC that I am planning on using I should be close to "king of the hill" at least for a daily driver anyway. Just don't want to be embarrased - too many times- at the red lights in and around town.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:01 PM
sidmanic
2nd Gear Member

The purpose of an after-cooler, inter-cooler, whatever, is to cool the air charge temp. That's it. That's why the SC's without an inter-cooler only run 5psi max because once you start increasing the psi on the compressor, the hotter the air charge will get and the greater the chance for detonation.
Another thing to point out is that a centrifugal blower only kicks in at WOT and only produces its max psi at the top of the rpm range, so when you are just cruising around town, you aren't sending any boosted air unless you got your foot in it. If you haven't done so already, you should consider running 4.10 gears or higher to take advantage of your blowers potential. Centrifugal's need high rpm to create boost.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:54 AM
sonicblue05
3rd Gear Member

i think they are full time boost, just not peak till around 4000 as a roots type peaks at around 2900.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:13 AM
sidmanic
2nd Gear Member

I guess the easiest way to find out would be to look at the boost gage during accel and see what it reads.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:41 AM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

As sonicblue05 said, centrifugal blowers boost all the time under load, not just at full throttle. The difference is they spool up like a turbo and don't hit peak power as quick. With a positive displacement, you are at full boost almost instantly. I believe that's why they call it positive displacement, it's almost like the engine's displacement is just that much more. You're right sidmanic, the best way to tell is log the boost on a 3rd gear pull. You'll see the boost climb. You'll also notice the torque climbs vs. with a positive displacement the boost is constant and the torque goes up very quickly. Also you could watch the boost gauge under partial loads.

Regarding the coolers, you're correct that they are both used to cool the charge temperature but the 2 definitely have 2 different affects. Cooling the charge before the air is compressed starts the process at a cooler temperature so as the air is compressed it is effectively that much cooler. The pressure to the intake manifold is just what was put out by the sc. Aftercooling will cool down the the heated air from the supercharger. Whenever you compress air it is heated. I believe the numbers are 70* at 8psi if it were 100% efficient. Imagine that air filling a container, then you cool that air. The volume of air doesn't change but there is less pressure because it is condensed. Therefore less boost pressure. I'm not saying that's bad, just the opposite, it's best to have cooler air going in. -Joe
Old 03-29-2006, 10:03 AM
clearym
2nd Gear Member

The engine is one thing but the T-3650 is rated at 400 lbs of torque. If you're driving it hard a lot, with that much snot under the hood your Tranny will suffer as well.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:08 AM
sidmanic
2nd Gear Member

I agree with everything you said although I think you misunderstood just the bit about inter-coolers. It seems that every company that manufactures superchargers has a different name for the part that cools the air charge. Doesn't matter what you call it, it does the same thing, more or less, whether its air to air or air to water. And positive displacement in regard to a supercharger mean that a given amout of air will be compressed for each revolution of the compressor. In my case, one revolution of the SC will compress 2.4L of air multiplied by the volumetric effecincy for the SC.