Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Leftover ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 12:15 AM
quadzilla200

Default 2005 Leftover ?

My wife and I are looking at possibly buying our first Mustang. We went to the largest dealer in the state and were surprised to find a few 2005 convertibles left. After reading this I saw that wasn't that unusual. They let us take it over the weekend. I have a couple questions
1) Has anybody seen a 2005 GT Convertible leftover. All we see are V6's.
2) In terms of price this is how they are showing us it is priced.
Sticker for V6 Prem Auto $29,490
They are saying they will give us the x plan price off of that and also are saying the all of the 2005's have a $3,000 rebate. Is there really a rebate on these leftovers? That puts it at around $24,000.
The one thing I'm contemplating, and might be wrong, but since this is a 2005 and we're halfway through the 2006 model year, how much of that $3000 rebate would be market loss when we sell in the future?
Sorry, but I have one more important question. My wife is sold on the v6, but the guy in me wants to go after the GT. How much difference is there in fun factor? I will say this V6 they are trying to sell us has dual exhaust put on it already. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:14 AM
Blueeyes

Default RE: 2005 Leftover ?

zilla,
My wife and I just bought an 05 V-6 manual yellow vert this week. The $3000 is an incentive (rebate) to the dealer to clear the 05's off the lots and make room for the...07's. It's not advertised. A couple of local dealers were discounting 05 V-6 verts by $6K. I'm in New England, and there were a few 05 GT verts with automatics around, but no manuals anywhere in New England or New York. I was in the market for a manual. So, to get a manual GT vert, I was going to have to order an 06, and every dealer was ready to take my order and give me a whole $200 off the MSRP to get my business. That meant an 06 GT vert would cost $11,000 more than I paid for the 05 V-6. I was pretty comfortable buying the V-6. $11,000 can buy a lot of performance. And, it was just perfect convertible weather this week!!!

I had high expectations for the rated 210 HP of the V-6. I'd have to say after buying it that I was, as most of the reviews I read said, impressed with the 'swiftness' of car considering it was a V-6. But I wouldn't say the engine impressed me as being equivalent to an early GT, as has also been reported. I last owned a mostly stock 93 GT that would smoke this V-6. So, I immediately bought an AEM cold air filter system, a Helix power tower throttle body spacer, a Motoblu 25% underdrive pulley, a Diablo computer tuner and a JBA single exhaust axle back system (muffler with tail pipe). I installed everything but the muffler-still waiting for delivery. I definitely woke the motor up. It's an absolute blast to drive, and both my wife and I have that frozen Mustang grin. She's NEVER loved a car before, but she sure loves this one. I'm still running the first tank of 87 octane gas that came with the car. Once I switch to 91, I will adjust the computer tune for even more power. My impression, if you care, is that the V-6 is no V-8. It's as simple as that. If you want the car to sound and behave like a V-8 muscle car, then buy the V-8 muscle car. I don't think you'll regret it. The V-6 will probably never have the same exhaust note of a V-8, and that's maybe the thing I will miss the most. But I'll get over it. But the V-6 is a great engine in its own class. According to the onboard computer, I'm getting about 30 MPG as I cruise 80 MPH with the top down.

You're right about taking a market value risk by buying an 05 that's been left over almost two whole model years. I felt the same way. I rationalized through it two ways. First I put my prospective car into Kelly blue book to find the used car retail value with 1 mile on it, since going to the used market was another potential way to buy an 05 model. The used retail was about $1000 more than the deal I was getting. Looking good so far. Then I looked at the trade in value for my prospective car with 1 mile on it. I guess this is the proverbial value drop as you drive it off the lot. The trade in was about $6000 less than the deal I was getting. This seems to be a larger than normal spread to me. Most trade in values I've seen are about $3000 less than retail value, but I never priced such a new car for trade before, so maybe that impacts it. But to me, it didn't really matter. I have no plans to sell this car. If I do, it will be so old, that one model year isn't going to make any difference. As a matter of fact, my car sat on the lot since last April, so I'm thinking it's got to be a very early convertible model. I am looking forward to finding that information soon to find out how early it was. Ahhh, the fun of mustanging!!

-Ol' Blueeyes
Old 04-03-2006, 03:28 AM
Kriger
2nd Gear Member

Gt 05 convert here in Ephrata pa at victory ford. Not sure on the price but last year it was 38k... what they have it at now ? i'll stop tomorrow and find out... I was considering too...
Old 04-03-2006, 04:03 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Great response there Blueyes!
I would agree with most of the mods except would recommend a dual exhaust if you have the bling to get the new rear lower bumper for the 2 tail pipes.
As far as the difference in future value of an 05 vs. an 06 or 07- it's more about miles that you put on the car. If you plan on putting a lot or just average miles (12,000 or more) then yes you might want a newer model to keep the resale up should you want to trade in a few years. But if you put on few miles like me (under 8,000/year) you might make that up after a couple of years.
Anyway, with $3000 off most people will say go with the 05!
Old 04-03-2006, 11:37 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

There is a dealer in Dickson Tn that has a v-6 with no miles and a conversion appearance package, the same that is on mine, a Razzi package, rims and tires, dual exhaust (mines a GT). It is Black with white stripes. They have to sell it as used as it was titled but never delivered. The last I heard they were at 17k. Heck of a deal. Not a convertible though.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:18 PM
wildabouthorses
2nd Gear Member

Blueeyes, open your driver's door and look at the date on the sticker there. That's when you car was made.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:10 PM
aTm

If there are any 05 convert GT new for sale sightings/findings on dealer lots (or if anyone works for dealers and you know about one) in Illinois, Wisconsin, or NW Indiana area -- please let me know!

The only way I know how to search for such a car is thru forddirect.com, and you have to search by zip code -- hardly efficient for finding something that at this point is pretty rare.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:01 PM
1fast05GT
3rd Gear Member

My wife wants a v-6 mustang and I am considering getting an '05. The question is, does the warranty period starts when you purchase the car? My answer is yes but someone told me the warranty actually starts when the dealership took delivery on the car.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:13 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

For "fun factor" get the GT GT GT GT GT GT! Even if you have to get a AT to make the wife happy.

My warranty started when the car went "in service" which was the day I purchased the car.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:37 PM
Blueeyes

Orion-thks for the kudos!!

I got my 91 Octane in last night. The Diable 91 tune definitely made a big difference! I don't know if I was just driving it differently, but it felt much more natural getting to red-line. With the 87 tune, there didn't seem much point in going over 4000 RPM. Still waiting on that muffler.

I think I'd go headers before the dual exhaust. I say that because there was a dyno test (Mustang 5.0 + Fast Fords mag??) of a V-6 auto, stock and then again with the JBA short headers and the single JBA muffler for something like +16HP/+16lb-ft. No X-pipe, no high flow cat, no dual exhaust. I think JBA has a link or PDF of the mag article on their site. They were surprised at the unusually high positive results of just these two changes. Seems to indicate those header looking cast manifolds aren't very free flowing.

I'm all done with engine performance mods for now. I moved on to handling performance for week two!! Two Hellwig anti-sways (thank-you MF for the group buy!!), Eibach pro-streets, and I'm brinking on the Tokico's, but again a bit expensive. Also grabbed a Hurst off Ebay.

Then it'll be on to front brakes and wheels. I'm really liking the black bullits. MF has a BRS parts add which shows the wheel with the chrome spinner. I never thought of recycling my spinners onto the bullits, but I love the look. I'll probably just go with GT size (12.4") front rotors, just not the Ford ones. I usually use Steeda brakes, so I'll start there but I haven't starting hunting for that one yet.

1fast-Warranty clock starts on the day you 'purchase' the car, which is the day you sign all the papers. The only exception I've ever experienced is with my new Mustang. The dealer didn't maintain the battery, and the battery actually became defective as a result. By day 2, after an overnight charge, the battery voltage would drop from 13.5 to 8.5 VDC in just a few minutes with the ignition on. I tried to get the battery replaced by a local dealer, but they refused to cover it under warranty. The selling dealer had to replace it out of their pocket. I was all set, but the warranty no longer applied because it had been on the dealer lot for more than a certain number of days. I have no idea what would have happened if the battery failure was a few months from now. Maybe the warranty would have covered it again.

Wildabouthorses-Can't wait to get home to look at the door jamb!! Thx. I've spent hours on the net trying to figure out if the date on my MSRP sticker had any meaning.