Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For anyone with an E H2O pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 12:25 AM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

Default For anyone with an E H2O pump

I have been looking at one of these things and I have a Q to anyone that may know. The Mezzerie pump has a pulley built in so the serpentine belt stays in place. Does the pulley come on it or do you use the factory one? Every picture shows a pulley on it. Just wondering what to expect. Thanks
Old 04-19-2006, 03:49 AM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

Default RE: For anyone with an E H2O pump

it is a part of the new pump and has no load on it other than its own miniscules rotational mass. with the pump, there is no reason for a water pump pulley if you want underdrive pullies as well because you only need the crank harmonic balancer pulley
Old 04-19-2006, 06:58 AM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: The Ghost

I have been looking at one of these things and I have a Q to anyone that may know. The Mezzerie pump has a pulley built in so the serpentine belt stays in place. Does the pulley come on it or do you use the factory one? Every picture shows a pulley on it. Just wondering what to expect. Thanks
If you haven't gotten the UDP you should get this package ...I think it's in a 'Not bad price'thiere for 534$ for both of em, you should just get a smaller belt ... but i wonder if it will be safe for the motor.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:53 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Sleeper and Suad....but that was part of the reason for the Q. I do have UDP's and was wondering what I am going to do with the water pump pulley now. E H2O pumps are very safe, but I would look into a relay that would shut down the motor if the pump fails, probably a presure switch that would defeat the fuel pump. That would make it actually safer than a standard H2O pump because I don't believe the motor will quit if no flow is detected. Of course this car seems smarter than me so it might.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:59 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

The trick is to keep an eye on your dash, there's a coolant thermometer for a reason. (I've glance at it often since my waterpump failed on my aspen 10 years ago, lol)
Old 04-19-2006, 01:05 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: The Ghost

Thanks Sleeper and Suad....but that was part of the reason for the Q. I do have UDP's and was wondering what I am going to do with the water pump pulley now. E H2O pumps are very safe, but I would look into a relay that would shut down the motor if the pump fails, probably a presure switch that would defeat the fuel pump. That would make it actually safer than a standard H2O pump because I don't believe the motor will quit if no flow is detected.
It would have to be a high pressure switch because it isn't the water pump that produces pressure in your engine it is heat and the pressure cap. The hotter the motor gets the higher the pressure is, so a low pressure switch like you would use with fuel or oil pressure won't work. You would need to know the pressure in the system at a given temperature say 205*, then you would need to find a pressure switch that would be tripped when pressure exceeded that temperature.

It would be easier to put a temperature switch in that would trip at a specified temp shutting the motor down or just put a warning light in like Autometer offers and when it lights up shut the engine down.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:07 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Tik_Tok
The trick is to keep an eye on your dash, there's a coolant thermometer for a reason. (I've glance at it often since my waterpump failed on my aspen 10 years ago, lol)
If you haven't noticed, the stock gauge doesn't move with changes in temperature. It isn't much better than an idiot light it will only show hot if the motor is outside of it's normal operating range, if you want to use gauges to monitor the engine the best thing to do is ignore the factory gauges and install some aftermarket gauges.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:24 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

Stock temp gauge stinks....presure is 18-22psi....that's when the radiator cap blows off to relieve presure. At 55 GPM even dead cold it should build 3-5 psi. maybe more. So on that note, you are right a presure switch will be too difficult due to having to have a high and low range. A high temp shut off would be better, just thinking now (smell of wood burning)....I tend to do a lot of that before I actually come up with something that suits me. I hate doing things twice or incomplete. Thanks all for the input.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:44 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

I like the high temp cutoff, I may have to do something similar on my car when I do an E-H2O pump.