Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Modification laws NEED HELP?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Fatblazer
1st Gear Member

Default California Modification laws NEED HELP?!!!

There is a possibility I will be relocating to Orange County California. I currently live in Florida, where 93 octane fuel is a blessing, and there are NO emission laws. My car is modified with a Borla Exhaust, and within the next week or so, a Procharger Supercharger. I have been reading some articles about the very strict laws Cali has on modified cars. I am a little confused. Are superchargers illegal? I read an article posted from a San Diego newspaper saying any cars with racing stickers, custom exhaust, or even tinting windows are subject to search anything that might hint off modifications. Citations are issued regularly, and even impounded. Anyone who happens to know the laws better, I would greatly appreciate and information or advice. Also, how are the car insurance rates in Southern Cali? Thanks,

Peter T.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:30 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

Default RE: California Modification laws NEED HELP?!!!

ORIGINAL: Fatblazer

There is a possibility I will be relocating to Orange County California. I currently live in Florida, where 93 octane fuel is a blessing, and there are NO emission laws. My car is modified with a Borla Exhaust, and within the next week or so, a Procharger Supercharger. I have been reading some articles about the very strict laws Cali has on modified cars. I am a little confused. Are superchargers illegal? I read an article posted from a San Diego newspaper saying any cars with racing stickers, custom exhaust, or even tinting windows are subject to search anything that might hint off modifications. Citations are issued regularly, and even impounded. Anyone who happens to know the laws better, I would greatly appreciate and information or advice. Also, how are the car insurance rates in Southern Cali? Thanks,

Peter T.
Everything is california is illegal...
Register the car in someone elses name out of state... but then they would probably put you in jail for that... [:'(]
Old 04-19-2006, 03:52 PM
KeithET

Here are some usefull sites. Not having any mods myself I can't provide any first hand experience.

From what I understand if the particular device/mod is legal it will have some type of California issued certification either attached to the device or the paperwork that came with it.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php

Hope this helps.

Old 04-19-2006, 03:58 PM
mustangman2424
I ♥ Acer

Where in Orange County will you be moving? I live in Orange, which is right next to Anaheim. The laws are not too bad, superchargers are fine, and cops don't really care about tinted windows and stickers and that stuff. If you get caught racing though, that could be bad, not sure how bad though.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

As long as your S/C or Turbo has a C.A.R.B # you're fine. That basically states that the 'mod' is smog legal. Otherwise you may be S.O.L

Here are some things about Cali you should know:

1) Tint is NOT illegal but, you cannot have the driver or front passenger windows tinted with film. If it's DOT tinted glass (Tint is part of the glass) then that's fine.

2) You have to have a front license plate

3) No neon lights or any other type of running lights can be on the car while driving other than light being emitted from an OEM type light

I know there are a few others that I just can't think of at the moment. Any one of the three up top, could/may get you pulled over. Once you're pulled over they can use that as a reason to have you pop the hood or even search the car if they can prove 'reasonable suspicion.'

CA is bad but VA is the worst. Just don't be a ******** and give cops a reason to pull you over.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Fatblazer
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info. I used to Live in Mass, I'm used to the emission test and high insurance rates. but I just got confortable in Florida. I see monster trucks drive on the highway! Mustangman2424 I would be relocating to Irvine, or newport beach area.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:14 PM
mustangman2424
I ♥ Acer

I don't think cops really care about front tinted windows unless they have nothing else better to do. As long as they are not too dark I don't think they will cause any trouble for you.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:17 PM
Fatblazer
1st Gear Member

I have the legal limit tint in florida which is 20% I think. It's not dark at all. If I am correct 91 octane is the highest pump gas in California?
Old 04-19-2006, 04:19 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

if your parts have a carb #, you are good. make sure you have cats and a carb# on the procharger and you'll be fine. a cop can't search your car because you have stickers, that's a myth.

and yeah, i've never seen higher then 91 here in socal.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: mustangman2424

I don't think cops really care about front tinted windows unless they have nothing else better to do. As long as they are not too dark I don't think they will cause any trouble for you.
That is true but any other minor infractions along with that and they will pull you over. I had driven around in my nissan with side tinted windows and no license plate on the front for like 5 years..then I got a crack in the windshield passenger side. Got pulled over within a day.

Cop told me one infraction alone was not a big deal but three!? He had to cite me.

Red- there is always the local airports that sell plane fuel! 103 or 105 octane I believe.

Quick Reply: California Modification laws NEED HELP?!!!