Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 12:28 AM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Whine Noise

I've been doing a few searches today and found the following:

“You need the dealership to re-shim the ring & pinion in your rear axle or have them put in a new set & shim correctly. The ring & pinions are lapped as a set and shimmed to a proper backlash. Yours was not done correctly at the factory in Sterling Heights, MI.

Gears should only whine if they are improperly installed.

If they are installed properly they will not whine. If they whine the gear installer did not do the install properly. A lot of shops only set the backlash. You can get by with it but it's not the only requirement for a proper install. The wear pattern should be checked. If it's out you may have to pull the pinion gear back out, reshim it and start over. If you are lucky you may have to shift the carrier with shims. You should have the wear pattern centered up on the ring tooth. If it's on the toe or heal then you are going to have problems like whine or heat build up.”

I'll give the shop that installed them a call tomorrow and see what they have to say. I've never noticed the whine till after 3 weeks of gear install.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:30 AM
rebelyell06
2nd Gear Member

I'm pretty sure it is what I said it was. I didn't start noticing the whining sound until I had had it for about 2 months at around 3000 miles.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:35 AM
grasshopper
2nd Gear Member

Does anyone know if the dealer isn't just shimming the gears ultra close so that you won't come back to bother them? This would present a lube problem that may not become critical til after your warranty is up.

I've heard complaints about the stock gears, FRPP gears, and Motive gears. Many of the complaints resulted in more than one return to the dealer before being satisfied. I wouldn't put it passed the dealer to do something shifty to prevent a return to their workbay, but I also wouldn't put it passed the factory to not properly set the axle up from the beginning.

The only variable I have never seen discussed is the fact that the driveline might just be inherently noisy as a consequence of durability. Do we all already know this to be untrue? or are we kidding ourselves about the nature of this vehicle again?
Old 05-08-2006, 12:40 AM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

Could for any reason the improper install of the gears have this effect on the rear differential clutch pack? If the installer says everything looks fine, then I just want to prepare my case with the dealership.

Thanks for all the quick replies!

Old 05-08-2006, 12:40 AM
rebelyell06
2nd Gear Member

All I know is the problem I had was the rear clutch pack. They replaced it and now it doesnt' whine anymore. I would have continued to think it was my tires if it had not been for me seeing a post on these forums about a simlar problem that ended up having the same solution as mine did.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:44 AM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

its a warrenty issue, get it fixed, and to those who did, and theres still whine.. the tech was lazy...

i work for my locals fords fleet center and this issue is delt with pretty often (not jsut on mustangs) its because the diff on vehicles is jobbed out... not put on by a machine. who ever did it ****ed up, and who ever fixed it ****ed up jsut the same
Old 05-08-2006, 05:50 PM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

Ok, just got back from the shop, and he says it’s not the gears. Which was the consensus on this topic. He did say that the cause for the clutch pack making the noise would be due to insufficient amount fluid. He suggested getting another bottle of the modifier and stopping by to put in.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:48 AM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

Well, adding more fluid didn't take very well. I've taken her into the dealership today; the tech had some hesitation due to having 4.10's installed. I did mention that others have had this issue as well, with everything being stock. Parts needed are on order, will update once I get her back.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:02 AM
Cindy
4th Gear Member

Just curious...What does this sound like?????? If you could explain it to me????
Old 08-09-2006, 03:06 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

sounds like a whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine coming from the rear end. Something like your power steering pump when you turn your wheel to far in one direction.

Quick Reply: Whine Noise