Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 03:27 AM
Cindy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Whine Noise

Mine did that for a little while but it just stopped on it's own. No problems since. It did this for several weeks.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:18 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I thought he was describing the noise I have. Check the first post.
I noticed it since day one. When I lift off the gas I hear what I'd describe as a "whoop whoop whoop" sound. I noticed it when I drove down a street with a center island. It's possible the sound bounced off the curb so I could hear it better. But i still hear it whenever the window is down. I thought it might have something to do with the exhaust on my GT.
Any techs have experienced this?
I'd actually hope it's a problem and not a normal sound cause then maybe I can add it to the long list of problems and get them to buy back my GT so I can get an 07.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:24 PM
Cindy
4th Gear Member

The sound coming from my stang sounded like a high pitch squeeling noise. I had my window down to listen. It always happened when I was turning my steering wheel and pushing on the gas at he same time. It did eventually stop though. Good luck with yours.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Whine Noise -updated with new TSB

So I finally took my GT in to get several rattles and the brake fluid master cylinder leak fixed. We'll see if those fixes were succesful.
But they did fix the "whoop, whoop, whoop" sound coming from the rear axle when I let off the gas at around 45mph! I keep trying to replicate it and don't really hear much noise any more. I think I hear a little tiny bit of that noise but it might just be my ears expecting to hear it! Should have fixed it last year!
Anyway, on the service invoice for the rear end prob it says "Perform TSB 052002A"
Looks like they put in a new gear and pinion assembly, and new oil, sealant, and additive oil
All covered under warranty, but the rental wasn't :-(
Old 10-10-2006, 06:39 PM
viza
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grasshopper
I wouldn't put it passed the dealer to do something shifty to prevent a return to their workbay, but I also wouldn't put it passed the factory to not properly set the axle up from the beginning.
I'd lay money on the dealer creating as much work for himself as possible. They get paid for every warranty repair by ford (or you), for parts and labor. It's found money to them whenever you have a warranty problem. They _love_ warranty problems. You need to come back 3x to have the same part replaced? NO PROBLEM!!! LOL they make $500+ on you every time you walk up to their service counter, with anything bigger than an oil change or scheduled service.

-Viz
Old 10-10-2006, 06:53 PM
viza
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: STANGT

RSTONE13,

I've worked as an automotive engineer for over 15 years on drivetrain in Detroit. Most of my experience is in front & rear axles. I designed & released the F-body (camaro & firebird) axle back in 93'.

Anyways, what you have (by your description) is what they call "coast side" ring & pinion noise. Not a big deal mechanically, but it can become very irritating to the ear. You need the dealership to re-shim the ring & pinion in your rear axle or have them put in a new set & shim correctly. The ring & pinions are lapped as a set and shimmed to a proper backlash. Yours was not done correctly at the factory in Sterling Heights, MI.

Tell the dealer to fix it. It's a common problem in axle manufacturing. The dealer will know about exactly what I've written here. They have seen your problem a hundred times I'm sure......

STANGT
Should there be any gear whine from the tranny? I can hear a hint of gear whine coming from somewhere but am not sure if it's the tranny or rear. It seems to change pitch when I shift so I'm guessing it's the tranny. It's there but I can barely hear it. Is this normal on a manual shift car? I've had gear whine on every manual car I've ever owned so assumed it was normal... I actually like the sound of it. It lets me know there's no chunks floating around in there. I am super sensitive to high pitch noise tho... so maybe it's just me.

I do audio engineering so sort of dissect sound on the fly as a matter of habit. I hear everything.

Also being that you are a drivetrain engineer... do you not recommend downshifting? I've developed a habit over the years of downshifting to slow down. I find that I use a lot less braking that way. As well I feel like I have more control of the car when slowing down.

-Viz
Old 10-10-2006, 07:36 PM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

I hate to say this, but it COULD be that the tech is right about the 4.10 installation. If gears are not installed CHECKED PROPERLY during assembly and SET UP properly they will whine. If it is indeed gear whine, then it should change sound when you get on the gas, then off the gas and might go away when you are niether accelerating or decelerating.

When installing a differential carrier FOR ANY REASON, with new gears OR old, it is imperative that the pattern and the backlash be checked. If they are not correct, problems are almost guaranteed.

Best of luck.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:48 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I've read this whole topic and some of you are talking about 3 different things. The initial post was a decel sound, like a reverberation, or a rur rur rur sound. This is typical of "gear noise". Usually fixed by replacing the gears and set up properly. Waste of time to try to "re-shim" old gears, the noise usu just gets worse.

The second posted was a high pitched whine at 50+mph and continuies from there. This occurs on accel or the drive side of the gears. his is usu not gear related, rather bearing or pinion angle related. I have this noise and replaceing the gears twice did no good. It's real annoying.

Third, is the much discussed noise at slow speed turns which turns out to be the clutch packs in most cases, and most members here who have had that tsb done report a fix.

So, let's get all of these in order here and make sure which "noise" we're posting a response to as to not give any wrong info to other members. Thanks all, I hope this clears thing up a little