Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker replacements

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 09:32 AM
JoeJP

Default RE: Speaker replacements

I like the Infinity Kappa's 682.7cf better than the 6812 Reference's. They cost more, but the tweeter is crisper and they have a real 2-way passive crossover that avoids sound frequency gaps.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:44 PM
sl8anic
1st Gear Member

So far I've resisted putting new speakers into my GT convertible. I rarely listen to stereo while stationary, while driving it's noisy enough that any gains from the speakers would be drowned out...
Old 05-12-2006, 06:46 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Any problems with the common 6x8's mentioned above fitting under the factory speaker grills??
Old 05-13-2006, 12:45 AM
GTpilot

ORIGINAL: classj

Any problems with the common 6x8's mentioned above fitting under the factory speaker grills??
NOPE!
Old 05-13-2006, 05:55 AM
loadedpony

i have a 1000 too. Replaced the rear deck speakers with MTX's. Cheap but better than those stock pieces of whatever. I noticed the fronts are two-way so I wasnt inclined to replace them. The stereo still sounds raspy though. Dont know if its the speakers or the head unit. ???
Old 05-13-2006, 10:41 AM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

Stupid Q...how do 25watt factory speakers add up to the advertised 500watt and 1000watt ?? Are you telling me those front subs are supposed to be 400watts? I know they advertise the rear subs as 500watt. I am just very shocked to hear that the factory speakers are only 25watts each. And those front subs sure as hell don't sound like theres 400watts going to them. I feel cheated
Old 05-13-2006, 05:18 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

A couple of things:

Your midrange and tweeters are generally very efficient speakers. You simply don't need a lot of power going to them in order to get plenty of "volume" or SPL. 25 watts is enough power for a midbass/tweeter.

Now then, for subs you need more power. Especially for "competition" systems or if you are trying to get extremely low bass extension. You will see this in all serious installs and competition cars. They generally have 5 or 10 times the power for Subs compared to mids/tweets.

I agree that the OEM speakers in our cars are crappy, but 25 watts doesn't really bother me.

As for where they're getting the numbers "500" and "1000" from? That's a good question. It is certainly not continuous RMS power. It's probably peak power under ideal conditions--which is great for marketing but pretty meaningless in reality.

I've actually never seen the systems advertised as "500 WATT" or "1000 WATT". The word "Watt" is conspicuously absent, as least as far as I can remember. Maybe the number is nothing but hype?
Old 05-13-2006, 06:14 PM
skycow

just wondering if there is any difference as far as the number of speakers between the different audio systems like base and shaker 500 and 1000 not including the sub just midrange and tweeters.

just thought id mention im not to sure about the actual power output going to the speakers but as it is 25 watts would be louder than any speaker with higher wats you hooked up to it.
but thats considering the speaker isint overpowered and ends up distorting. besicly the closer u get ur speaker and reciever wattage the louder it will be, they prolly just matched the speaker the best they could to the power being put out by the reciever but considering how much they charge id expect more. but all in all there is alot more to sound quality and dB than just watts.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:28 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: skycow

just thought id mention im not to sure about the actual power output going to the speakers but as it is 25 watts would be louder than any speaker with higher wats you hooked up to it.
but thats considering the speaker isint overpowered and ends up distorting. besicly the closer u get ur speaker and reciever wattage the louder it will be, they prolly just matched the speaker the best they could to the power being put out by the reciever but considering how much they charge id expect more. but all in all there is alot more to sound quality and dB than just watts.

That first part is NOT CORRECT.

The way you determine the volume (loudness) of a given speaker is to look at it's effeciency. For example, a given speaker might be rated at "91 db 1w/1m" That means that with one watt (continuous) power, it will produce a volume of 91 dB (measured at 1 m distance). Volume and power are a logarithmic scale, with 3 db equating to a doubling of power. So with this example 2 watts = 94 dB. 4 watts = 97 dB, 8 watts = 100 dB, 16 watts = 103 dB, and so on.

Matching the "wattage" of the speaker and the "wattage" of the amp doesn't necissarily correlate to maximizing volume. If you had a 50 watt amp hooked up to both a 50 watt speaker and a 100 watt speaker, the lounder speaker will be the one with the higher efficiency--regardless of the wattage of the speakers.

Old 05-13-2006, 06:59 PM
skycow

its very close to correct... you cant expect a 1000w subwoofer to hit 91 db at 25m with 25 watts of power... the size of the magnet and voicecoil are to big to even begin pushing it. the bigger the overall speaker more becomes a factor like i said before such as location of the speaker.. enclosure... and actual shape of the speaker.
but 2 speakers at the same wattage and size and dimensions the more efficent one would with out a doubt be lounder

Quick Reply: Speaker replacements