Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoods

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 10:23 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Hoods

There were a couple of "prototype" aluminum Saleen hoods floating around on fleabay about 6 months ago. But those were the only ones I have seen and I have kicked myself in the *** several times for not picking one up. I too am pretty anti fiberglass hood. I have no desire to have hood pins to keep the latch bolts from pulling out, and don't want to give up my hood struts.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:32 PM
Racefiend
2nd Gear Member

If the fg hood you choose is made worth a damn, it will have all the proper bracing to support both the hinges and the hood latch. You should have nothing to worry about. Also, you can revalve your hood struts for the lighter hood.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:21 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Racefiend

If the fg hood you choose is made worth a damn, it will have all the proper bracing to support both the hinges and the hood latch. You should have nothing to worry about.
Is that why practically every single vendor out there suggest using hood pins with the hoods they sell? RK Sport certainly does. Steeda does. Cervinis does. Are you saying their hoods are crap?

ORIGINAL: Racefiend
Also, you can revalve your hood struts for the lighter hood.
It has nothing to do with the weight. It is the pressure that will cause the hood to crack where the strut mounts are mounted. Redline states specifically on their web site that the struts are not for use with a fiberglass hood.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:47 AM
Racefiend
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

Is that why practically every single vendor out there suggest using hood pins with the hoods they sell? RK Sport certainly does. Steeda does. Cervinis does. Are you saying their hoods are crap?
If their hoods are designed to use the stock hood latch, and they still require hood pins, then yes, they didn't brace it enough. However, if they're not designed to use the stock hood latch, then that's a different story.

It has nothing to do with the weight. It is the pressure that will cause the hood to crack where the strut mounts are mounted. Redline states specifically on their web site that the struts are not for use with a fiberglass hood.
Yes it does have to do with the weight. If you revalve the struts for the decreased weight, it also takes requires less force to close it, which puts less stress on the mounting point. That is why redline does not want them used on fiberglass, because they are stiffer for use on the stock hood.

I've had a FG hood for two years now. I revalved the stock struts for the new hood. I've opened/closed it God knows how many times, and it is as structurally sound as the day I put it on. It also does not require hood pins.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:01 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

If I had flex and lift in a FG hood I'd reinforce it; assuming it was real FG. Reinforcing would not be difficult if you have experience with FG and it could be aesthetically done.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:18 AM
06VistaGT
1st Gear Member

If the fg hood you choose is made worth a damn, it will have all the proper bracing to support both the hinges and the hood latch. You should have nothing to worry about.
I couldn't agree more. I picked up the Kaenen fiberglass hood. It is solid as a rock (actually weighs more than the stock hood). All the attachment points are reinforced and the hood has a tension built into it to ensure there is no issues with hood flex at high speed.

I dealt directly with Kaenen and the guy suggested hood pins only if I was planning to go to the strip every week. I plan on going a few times a year, and he fealt there was no reason/need for the hood pins. Just remember, if there are wispers of poor fit/finish, what assurance do you have that the hood was crafted in such a way to ensure durability?

I can only speak for the Kaenen hood and the RK Sport Ram Air (only ones I have seen). There is no comparison, although I do like the look of the RKSport hood, I didn't want to spend the money and hope for a "good" one. Do the research and ask people who own the particular fiberglass hood you are looking at - that will be the best way to determine if you are getting a good product.

There are inferior hoods ... if anyone is looking for a 4" cowl Fox body hood that is 2" inches too narrow and 1.5" too long, let me know I will not name names, but anyone who has a hood through this company would agree that it is junk.