Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shelby test drive: Can a Mustang be worth this much?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 03:37 PM
persistantthug
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Shelby test drive: Can a Mustang be worth this much?

Exactly.....THEY WERE SUPPOSED to kill the vette. They didn't and that sucks. I'm very disappointed [X(]
Old 06-09-2006, 10:15 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

I'm putting my hopes in the possibility of a new Mach 1 or Boss. Everything I've heard points to this being a 400'ish hp car powered by a NA motor. I'd be willing to bet that it comes in considerably lighter than the GT500, and since it should be marketed more towards the average buyer..........should be alot cheaper also. Fingers are crossed...
Old 06-09-2006, 11:43 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Maybe, and if that happens it will be cool. But the quesiton inevitably will be whether it is worth trading in our cars that are only two-three years old or so and loose money, for a car with 25-50 more HP than a modified GT. Might be, depends on how these cars hold value and how they hold up.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:09 AM
ogmaster

Maybe it's just me, but I dont get why the hate for the Shelby. It's a limited edition car with a lot of power for a nice price. The big thing is the whole "LIMITED EDITION". Why people dont see the big deal with this, I'll never know. The Shelby is for car enthusiasts who know about the Shelby name and know the tradition and quality that comes with that name. Not only that, they know the huge value these vehicles carry with them over time. It's not going to be the best and fastest car out there, but it's never intended to be.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:11 AM
classj
4th Gear Member

True. And I dont hate the car. I almost put a deposit on one and waited. But the dealer markups are a joke.

And critiquing the car is not a bad thing IMO. There are some diehard people that would love anything with a shelby badge on it. Thats fine.

My point is, that if chevy made the ZO6 vette 500lbs heavier than the std model, regardless of the extra 100hp, they have taken three steps forward and two back.

But they didnt. They kept the weight in check. And if ford had done the same. We would have a serious machine out there.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:07 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

I don't hate on the new Shelby either. I was just disappointed that Ford didn't go all out on it. It would have been nice to have the lighter aluminum block 5.4 from the GT in there..........even if the car still weighed 3600-3700 lbs, it would still have been lightyears better than nearly 2 tons. I was also disappointed that Ford backed down on the styling a bit. The prototype GT500 was awesome....but Ford opted for a car that was alot closer body-wise to the rest of the mustang lineup. I also think the tail lights from the GTR concept would have been more fitting for the revived GT500 badge.
Ya know, it's like you said, this is a limited edition Shelby mustang. That hasn't happend in 30+ years. Ford could've gone an extra mile and done this puppy 1 or 2 better.......and then even a 45-50K MSRP would have still seemed like a good deal. But even in current form, 41K for a 500hp performance coupe is just unfreakin real.......you don't see that anywhere I can promise you.
So it really doesn't matter to me in the end because I can't afford one anyways. But bottomline, would I send it back if someone gave me one?...............uhhh, are you crazy??[8D]
Old 06-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Gizzmo0411

Some of you GT owners almost *almost* sound like some of the V6 owners defending their cars...heheheh...Bottom line...if you could buy a shelby, you'd do it in a second. I highly doubt that anyone with the means to do so would choose a GT over it.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:33 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Not me . I would be ashamed of having a 500 horsepower car that couldn't out run the 400 horsepower vette in 0-60. From what I read the GT mustang is more fun to drive. I'll keep mine which is better looking and modify it some more as time allows. Thanks anyway.