Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for fellow convertible owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 03:23 AM
jfrush

Default Question for fellow convertible owners

Just picked up a 2006 GT convertible and I love it! But I do have a question. Everytime I let the top down it gets about 2/3's down and stops. I release the button and press it again and it goes a little farther and stops again. It does this three times every time I let the top down and it alway stops in the same three places. Is this normal?

If it helps, I do this when the car is in park and the engine is running.
I've checked to make sure there is nothing obstucting the top.
It does not do this when putting the top up.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-10-2006, 03:28 AM
rhein
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Question for fellow convertible owners

Mine does not do this. However: You do have to press firmly on the button, if you half -a$$ it it will stop....

Does it make any funny noises?

Old 06-10-2006, 03:37 AM
jfrush

ORIGINAL: rhein

Mine does not do this. However: You do have to press firmly on the button, if you half -a$$ it it will stop....

Does it make any funny noises?

OK I just ran out and tried it making sure I pushed the button real hard. No good, still behaves the same way. No funny noises or any other indication that anything may be wrong.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:48 AM
rhein
1st Gear Member

Off to the dealer for you..... Bummer.

Hope they get it fixed quickly for you. Having the vert in the shop when the weather gets nice is a drag.

One thing to note when you put the top down: I always make sure that the inner liner doesn't get caught over the top of the right and left coners of the rear seat. It tends to stretch the fabric if you let it get caught there. I learned that trick from my in - laws, their 04 vert does the SAME thing.

If this doesn't make any sense to you, I can post some pics tommorrow maybe to show what I'm describing.

Old 06-10-2006, 03:58 AM
jfrush

ORIGINAL: rhein

Off to the dealer for you..... Bummer.

Hope they get it fixed quickly for you. Having the vert in the shop when the weather gets nice is a drag.

One thing to note when you put the top down: I always make sure that the inner liner doesn't get caught over the top of the right and left coners of the rear seat. It tends to stretch the fabric if you let it get caught there. I learned that trick from my in - laws, their 04 vert does the SAME thing.

If this doesn't make any sense to you, I can post some pics tommorrow maybe to show what I'm describing.

Oh well that's what warranties are for. In a way I'm happy, at least it's not normal cuz that would suck. Since it's not critical and I have another car, I'll just wait for the next rain spell and take it in then.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:35 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

That definitely is not normal. Mine very smoothly rides all the way down until the top is collapsed. One thing that people have trouble getting used to is because of the shape of the roof, it tends to look like it's not all the way down when it in fact is. But it sounds like yours is stopping well short of that point.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:14 AM
cyberjock4hire
1st Gear Member

That does not happen to mine, goes down all the way. In an older car I had with a sun roof, the sun roof would only close about 3/4 of the way and you had to press the button again because that was a safety feature. I doubt that this is the case here. Good luck at the dealer.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:40 AM
BLACK06GT4ME
2nd Gear Member

Had that problem with a previous vert, just adjustment took care of it.

Good Luck.