Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 California Special?? INFO

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 02:47 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 California Special?? INFO

ORIGINAL: Tracedaddy

ORIGINAL: nineinchnail1024

ORIGINAL: Tracedaddy

Seems some owners of new Mustangs aren't completely familiar with their history.

Call me elitist, but I can't pretend to like something that I don't.
Sorry. Didn't mean to offend. Everyone surely has the right to their opinion and preferences. I just found it interesting that you mention that form shouldn't follow function yet you have side window louvers. And I'm not bashing side window louvers. I'll get them myself. One day. Rear window too. My point is that maybe it isn't always so simple.
The kind of window louvers I have are a visual mod only. The slats face rearward and are open for vision. (I guess you could say they are functional in that respect, but I don't want it to seem like I'm "reaching". My point was, visual mods are a good thing, I just don't like it when they appear to be something that they aren't. (For example, if I had window scoops, then I would have a visual mod with the appearance of being something that it isn't.) I'm not trying to offend people with these mods, I just prefer other modifications. But it's cool man, I see where you're coming from with the heritage thing.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:49 PM
stangmann
2nd Gear Member

These pics give a good idea of the scoop and the cs edition
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07-27-2006, 07:20 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Lots of GT/CS pics here, it's a forum dedicated strictly to the CS:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/forumdisplay.php?f=119

==The kind of window louvers I have are a visual mod only. The slats face rearward and are open for vision. (I guess you could say they are functional in that respect, but I don't want it to seem like I'm "reaching". My point was, visual mods are a good thing, I just don't like it when they appear to be something that they aren't.==

In my opinion there is absolutely no difference between the slats and a hood scoop or side scoops. The slats are a mod that do absolutely nothing for performance, same with the hood scoop and side scoops. SO WHAT? They look good and that's all that counts. I would guess that 99% of the people that bother to come to these forums have done something to their car just for looks. Maybe it's a wheel change, decals, a scoop, chrome on the engine, door pins, whatever. It boggles the mind that the exact same people that are adding components to their cars that do nothing for performance complain about a scoop not being functional! If we were all building race cars than by all means I would be the first to say it's silly to put a non-functional hood scoop on a full-on race car. But we're talking street cars here

Old 07-27-2006, 07:42 PM
RetiredGeneral
2nd Gear Member

I think people are taking stuff a little to personally...
I simply stated that for a long time the majority of posts (regarding non-functional stuff like scoops) were positive. There were very few people flaming the non-functional scoops. Then, as soon as Ford did what everyone else was doing, the flaming started. Suddenly every post regarding the CS was "those scoops are non-functional" and that made the car ulgy, and that noone would buy it... maybe the people that actually liked the CS were just shy about it and didn't want to get flamed.

I've seen some nice looking non-functional products, do I want them? Who cares? I just wanted to know if the trend was shifting away from the non-functional stuff, but from the responses here, it seems that there are still plenty of people that like them AND the CS.

Here's what Ford should have done... make the CS a 5000 lb dog with every non-functional mod available and include all the extras (heated seats, outside temp guage, altimeter etc...). Then at the same time release the Boss 302 as a stripped down 2800 lb race car (no back seat, no power windows, lightweight racing seats...) That way we could all be happy together!
Old 07-28-2006, 03:59 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

My beef is not with visual mods. I just don't like visual mods that appear to be something more. Eh, I'm over it.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:31 AM
C0braFan

My beef is not with visual mods. I just don't like visual mods that appear to be something more. Eh, I'm over it.
Kind of like the fake rear gas cap?

I agree with you in that some Mustangs are pimped beyond recognition, and just become downright ugly because of it (Cervini seems to go way over the top with their designs, IMO). But let's face it, no one is going to cut rear brake duct holes into the side of their practically brand new Mustang just to make the side scoops "real". Especially for a daily driver....that would be absolutely ridiculous. So, given that "real" side scoops are silly for a street car, why not do it as a visual mod? So what if they are glued on? Stock is boring.

Regarding the GT/CS sidescoops, I prefer the full-size scoops over the small rectangular ones. This isn't bad either, a 1965-66 retro look.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:39 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: C0braFan

Kind of like the fake rear gas cap?

I agree with you in that some Mustangs are pimped beyond recognition, and just become downright ugly because of it (Cervini seems to go way over the top with their designs, IMO). But let's face it, no one is going to cut rear brake duct holes into the side of their practically brand new Mustang just to make the side scoops "real". Especially for a daily driver....that would be absolutely ridiculous. So, given that "real" side scoops are silly for a street car, why not do it as a visual mod? So what if they are glued on? Stock is boring.

Regarding the GT/CS sidescoops, I prefer the full-size scoops over the small rectangular ones. This isn't bad either, a 1965-66 retro look.
There is nothing to argue. It's a matter of opinion. I see why people do these mods. I just don't personally like them. I can't MAKE myself change my mind on that.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:05 AM
Mustanglvr

Go to www.californiaspecial.com
We have owners of original 1968 GT/CS`s and of the new 2007`s. See you there!!!
Old 11-13-2006, 10:47 AM
fl_799
1st Gear Member

Part of the muscle/pony car culture has always been to tack on bulges and fake scoops in various areas of the car. Only later did they become somewhat functional. I 'aint passing up on a '67+ Shelby or a '65 GTO 389 Tri-power just because the side or hood scoop scoops are no longer functional.

How else could you tell a GTO apart from a Tempest in the 1960's? The scoops (functional or not) represented power and speed. The various scoops just look out of place on the Fox and newer 'Stangs. We finally have a nice platform that looks good in several configurations.

On another note, my '95 Cobra had (ugly) factory equipped functional hood heat extraction scoops of dubious valuen and rear brake side scoops that directed air right into the meat to the rear tire instead of the rear disks. Nice job Ford!