Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does the Mustang hold up in the Winter???

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 01:18 AM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: How does the Mustang hold up in the Winter???

Oh yeah, I forgot. I also put 100lbs of kitty litter in the trunk. Added weight plus had something for traction in case I got stuck anywhere. Very hilly here. Also, I got different wheels and tires for the summer, so my Fanblades just became my winter rims. Probably get snow tires for next winter...
Old 08-03-2006, 01:26 AM
KenInWY

ORIGINAL: cyberjock4hire

Live in NY on LI, had no problems at all. Just have a set of winter rims with Dunlop M3 winter sports, did not even know there was snow on the ground most of the time. With ice just watch out in first gear, so many RPM's so little time.
I have to say I was surprised with the way the car handled during this time, not like the mustangs of the past.
The only real problem was looking at the car being real dirty and not being able to immediately wash it.
Winter Rims.. what did those rims cost you if I may ask.. I'll need to find some 17" rims,, thanks for the Dunlop M3 suggestion
I'll check them out.. I'm in Wyoming and my 96 t-bird did ok with 15" snow tires. I was concerned as I was told 17" snow tires are hard to find.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:25 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scramblr

Oh yeah, I forgot. I also put 100lbs of kitty litter in the trunk. Added weight plus had something for traction in case I got stuck anywhere. Very hilly here. Also, I got different wheels and tires for the summer, so my Fanblades just became my winter rims. Probably get snow tires for next winter...
KEEP IN MIND WHEN ADDING WEIGHT TO THE TRUNK THAT IT WILL BE DETRIMENTAL TO HANDLING IF IT IS ANYWHERE BESIDES DIRECTLY ON TOP OF THE AXLE!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2006, 04:49 AM
Red_Stallion
2nd Gear Member

We had a late spring snow storm up where I was working and I was supposed to drive into the city to watch a hockey game....it took me 2 hours to get the car out of thr driveway because the snow was so slushy and slippery. I ended up having to get the tire chains off my truck and lay them on the driveway, move the car a few feet readjust the chains and slowly and painfully work the car out to the street. Once I got to the street it was downhill so I just prayed no one was coming at the stop sign and kept on the gas until the highway. Pretty impressed with the TCS, but what a hassle to get started, definitely would not be able to handle that on a daily basis, glad it was a one time thing and that sealed my decision on the stang being my summer driver.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:39 PM
markus51
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the info gang... Looks like I'll be ok with some snow tires and some added weight in the trunk... Still have my beater for those really crappy days... Now all I have to do is just find the time to break it in before it gets too nasty this Winter here in Germany....

Out...
Old 08-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Treatz
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LesteR723

ORIGINAL: scramblr

KEEP IN MIND WHEN ADDING WEIGHT TO THE TRUNK THAT IT WILL BE DETRIMENTAL TO HANDLING IF IT IS ANYWHERE BESIDES DIRECTLY ON TOP OF THE AXLE!!!!!!
good info
looks like my heavy 10' sub box directly over the axel will help me