Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sirius antenna location

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Earth Brown

Default Sirius antenna location

Hey everyone.This is my first real post,been lurking awhile and was gonna save it till I got my stripes painted next week but here is some good info.
I just took a cruise and tested this and it works great.You can take the flat sirius antenna and put it underneath the 1/4" board and carpet behind the back seat. I had mine just laying up there temporarily but it actually comes in better when its underneath the rug.I originally tried this on my Jeep softtop,I have it mounted under the rollbar padding and canvas and the softop and it works great. I see a lot of pics with that thing on the roof or trunklid, go ahead and hide it .
Old 08-08-2006, 06:36 PM
Cowtown
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Sirius antenna location

Really? I have XM and get more dropouts now, than I did on my Mazda 3 before. I have it right on the lip of my trunk lid as I'm not going to drill holes for it, I think the glass is affecting it though. Under the package shelf though? That seems to defeat the purpose. If I cover my antenna with my hand it tends to drop signal.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:56 PM
Earth Brown

I read about this on a Jeep forum and didnt believe until I tried it myself. When I had it laying on the deck I could not get a signal in my garage and now it holds it constantly. It also seems to get a better one in the trees.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:02 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

I have mine in the back deck and have no problems. I might have have to lift up the carpet and put it there and see how it does.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:00 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

I have mine in the back deck and have no problems. I might have have to lift up the carpet and put it there and see how it does.
+1...Back deck works great for my XM, with dark tint.....

Old 08-09-2006, 12:55 AM
underbird10
3rd Gear Member

I tried several suggestions from members on where to put try my Sirius Sportster 4 antenna. Based on the readings from the signal meter, the back deck behind the seats, the trunklid, and the rear car seat mount point are at least several percentage points less optimal than outside on the roof. I was still having problems with dropouts in all those locations. After trying them all, I opted for mounting it centerline of the rear roof and it works much better.

A lot depends on your angle towards the equator, where all the geosynchronous satellites orbit. Typically, the further north you are of the equator, the more of a shallow angle you have to the satellite and the more intereference you get from obstacles like trees and buildings. I live in an area with lots of tress that overhang the road and a lot of hills where you can't get a good line-of-sight to the satellite, so I have to go with the best signal strength to stop the drop-outs.

UB10