Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another First Speeding Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 11:56 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Another First Speeding Ticket

ORIGINAL: undecided.steve

Ok.
What you have to do is check with your insurance company as to what counts as penalties.....
IOW points always count and are a bad thing.
A parking ticket usually does not....
etc......

You have to determine if they screw you for the speeding ticket, even though your points are gone due to your taking the online course.

Personally, I would show up in court, delay, delay,delay,delay..........
You have to realize that in the total scheme of things, you are small fish........

Personally, seeing as it was radar I would try the "unsafe truck, rocks spewing out the back, weaving, i had to get out of that lane etc.....story and see what happens.

They WILL ask you for speciifics of the truck in question so be prepared to anser on que....
Color/size/etc....

Explain to the judge that you had been behind that truck for a couple of miles, and it was tossing rocks and you in the past you had windshields cracked etc.....................
You were hoping it would get pulled over etc......

You made a decision to pass the truck and that's when you got clocked.
The judge will ask you, "so you were going 75mph" to which you answer" more than likely I was your honor"...
DO NOT LIE OUTRIGHT (speed, lane etc)....Just be creative with the circumstances.

Seriously, you are fighting for insurence premiums!!!
Yours!!

Do not just give up!!!

The way it works here in Florida, is when you take the online course, they take the ticket off your record and the insurance never even finds out about the ticket. So there is no way for them to raise your premiums because they wont even know unless you call them and go "Yeah I got a ticket for speeding". But good advice none the less...
Old 09-17-2006, 12:27 PM
danam
2nd Gear Member

I say fight every ticket you get, we get OT when you do. AS far as putting of the court date, that does not work up here in Massachusetts. And whenever I go to court wih a LIDAR ticket I win 100% and with radar just about 100%. When I go behind a vehicle, i clock it, estimate the speed and also use a same lane tracking radar, i put all on the back of my icket and i testify that i used three methods to give an accurate measurement of the offender's speed. Case close, responsible.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Stroken97
1st Gear Member

I got my first speeding ticket in 25 years 83 in a 70 zone. Not becuase the officer was being a *** but becuase he was doing his job!. While I didn't like the ticket I don't fault him because I was the one speeding and he doesn't have to give me or anyone a "break" for violating the law. As the ole syaing goes "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time"
Old 09-17-2006, 01:14 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nothsa

I wasn't mad at the officer for doing his job at all, it was because I was in the right lane minding my own business and if he was really just doing his job why not pull over the guy in the left lane doing at least 85?
This is a popular copout for people who get tickets- "someone else was breaking the law a lot worse than me so it wasn't fair that I got caught!" LOL! I think we are all well aware that driving a Mustang garners more attention than driving a generic box around, and as a result we will get singled out by Mr. Law if we're doing something wrong. I drove a Honda Civic many years ago and I drove that thing like a maniac because it was like flying under the radar, NO ONE notices a Civic. But in the Mustang, I drive a LOT more conservatively. Getting noticed is a byproduct of driving a Mustang, unfortunately all of that attention isn't always from the people we want it to be from
Old 09-18-2006, 06:04 PM
amptor
2nd Gear Member

nobody explained to me that if AAA found that I had just _1_ traffic offence, my insurance rate would go up $163/yr on a mustang if I ever bought one. So I found that out the hard way. After October I get my insurance lowered so I just discontinued my AAA and bought a new plan until then. DMV doesn't show that I have any traffic offences at all.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:33 PM
kalel001
2nd Gear Member

Feel sorry for you but the cop is only doing his job.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:56 AM
06 tgstn vert

It's true laser tickets i write I get 100% convictions and radar I get around 95% (judges wifes mayors nephew etc.... they seem to get off somehow). Scrambles dont work and detectors dont work against a cop whos smart. Just be smart about it. REMEMBER COPS are human, if you were the cop whats draws your attention more a CIVIC with a muffler 5x's too big that you can hear from a mile away, an lime green Integra doing mach 3 with a frieking areoplane wing attached, or a STANG GT cruisin not making any noise at all with the top down enjoying life? Human nature is that bright colors and lound noises attract attention. I like what the above post about TARRIFFS said. Well put man well put. We only catch you once in a while and hell if I can get a speeding ticket in FL for 10 over and I dont bitch about it then nobody else has the right to complain. (CHIEF was pissed about that one. Lost 3 vacation days, bet ur boss doesnt take your vacation for your tickets)
Old 09-24-2006, 07:05 AM
2006RedGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: danam

I say fight every ticket you get, we get OT when you do. AS far as putting of the court date, that does not work up here in Massachusetts. And whenever I go to court wih a LIDAR ticket I win 100% and with radar just about 100%. When I go behind a vehicle, i clock it, estimate the speed and also use a same lane tracking radar, i put all on the back of my icket and i testify that i used three methods to give an accurate measurement of the offender's speed. Case close, responsible.
I don't beleive the 100% win ratio. What is Lidar anyways?
Old 09-24-2006, 11:50 AM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

Personally I would NOT try the:

â€The vehicle ahead of me was driving erratic.â€
“The vehicle ahead was kicking up rocks etc.â€

To do so might be embarrassing because if the judge is smart, and most likely he/she is because they have heard just about every imaginable excuse possible will say:

â€Then you should have pulled over, stopped and waited until you could have proceeded safely in your mind.â€

The vehicle driving erratic will NOT work in court because the Judge may come back with â€Well if they were driving so erratic why would you want to be in front of them? What if you had to make an emergency stop, what if traffic slowed down, if they were so erratic do you not think it would be MORE dangerous to be in front of them rather then behind them?

As far as kicking up rocks most likely the Judge will hand you a tissue and let you wipe your tears with it while he/she tells you â€If you couldn’t have pulled off and stopped you could have changed lanes, or you could have slowed down, or you could have got off the freeway on the next off ramp, here’s your tissue…
Old 09-24-2006, 12:14 PM
Meph
2nd Gear Member

It's not just about a cop being human. But about them singling somebody out because of what they drive, for any reason. If you see car in right lane doing 8 over limit, which is the flow of traffic. And you see other cars in left lane doing 20 over limit passing all cars on the right. Who is the greater "danger"?