Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! RETURNED EVOLUTION TUNE TO STOCK...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 11:09 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: HELP! RETURNED EVOLUTION TUNE TO STOCK...

I've never seen so many people worried about their warranty.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:12 PM
BigNasty06
2nd Gear Member

I'll just take it through the dealers "quick lube" tomorrow andleave the tune on there until I email Fred. I'll post whatever Fred has to tell me.

Thanks guys...

Old 09-18-2006, 11:19 PM
Gig4Fun
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

Guaranteed it's not the C&L. The car should run just fine with it on. If you floor it with it on it might throw a CEL b/c of a lean condition but that's about it. It's quite possible you need to have the dealer reload the stock tune. In fact, you can bring the car to the dealer with Fred's tune in there and they will flash it to stock for you automatically sometimes.

Alot of people will keep the performance tune in there when they bring it to the dealer, it depends on what you were bringing it there to have done. If it's, say an oil change or something just keep Fred's tune in there. The worst that can happen in that case is they might just flash it back to stock for you. If so, when you plug in your programmer it will re-download the new stock tune and youo should be good to go.

WWOOOAAAHHH!!!!!!

Hold on and take a minute to read this:

I have NOT had anything bad happen to me BUT I have been reading it on the net...

senario:

You pull your custom tune off and reload OEM stock tune. Dealer changes oil et cetera and "updates" your PCM. You get home where it is safe and hook up your SCT for the "good" tune. A couple things then can happen:

1) CALID is changed.... your little hand held friend no longer "knows" your car and you can not get it to recognize the device. Just get the new CALID hash off to your tuner and he can convert it and get you a tune that works.
or:
2) CALID is changed....but your car serial number still stays the same (both cases it will).... the SCT X2... WILL reload your custom tune because the markers are there for it to "think" that it already has the stock tune backed up. You load your great custom tune and are now NOT a friend to your service dept. when you show up with your OEM backed up tune in there that IS NOT the one they sent you on your way with the day a while back when your oil was changed and they did their little "update".

from SCT's site: "The tuner (they mean your handheld) does not know the calibration code in the vehicle changed, but the vehicle is the same vin, the Xcal2 does not know the vehicle calibration changed. The best option would be to "unlock" the tuner once you got back from the dealer update."

As I see it ,you should release the car from the tuner (clear the VIN ) and then start over again to get a current OEM written tune off and into the Tuner. BUT first check the CALID and see if it has changed. (YOU must know it BEFORE you take it in for service work of course). It is not the same as the little number you gave SCT when you bought the tuner.

Hope this saves someones arsss ! I am seeing (reading peoples troubles) ... it can roll either way right now.

READ THIS SLOW and understand that if you return your stock tune, & RECORD your CALID, and take it in for service AND then when it gets home READ YOUR CALID and it is the same. NOT a problem IT it is a different CALID get that number to your tuner so he can hash it and get another tune to you. DO NOT attempt any retuning (loading your custom tune) UNTIL you KNOW this stuff.

Russ
Old 09-18-2006, 11:29 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Did you try to disconnect the battery for a bit? Its worth a shot.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:43 PM
BigNasty06
2nd Gear Member

Russ-

Couldn't your scenario play out no matter what load I have on the flash when I go to the dealer? Even if I have my tune on there, if they update it, how do I get my tune back on there?
Old 09-19-2006, 12:15 AM
Gig4Fun
1st Gear Member

Well first off, you don't want to attempt to put your custom tune on it until you KNOW the CALID. If it is the same go after it. If it is changed, have a call or email off to your tuner. If you just load it you may get a situation where your car will not start. Then you will likely have to get it towed to your dealer and have them reload the PCM with the OEM tune. I have read where a dealer told a guy that his PCM was "messed up" and he needed a new one.

I suggest that you have a call or email out to your tuner and let them know that they may be hearing from you. Don't take this flash/reflash issue lightly given what "could" happen. Be prepared for a bit of trouble... so that means, schedule a little time.

To answer your question:

I explain (In the "big" post) how it would be best to remove it from your car in a permenant way. (Clear the VIN from the handheld tuner. It is called "unlocking it"). Then for sure, when you hook it back up to upload your custom tune file it will FIRST download the OEM tune as a back up for you to have for the next "return to stock" day. BEFORE you reload your custom tune though... Get the CALID and let your tuner know it et cetera (as explained in the "big" post...)
Old 09-19-2006, 12:21 AM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

You have an SCT tuner, right?

When you flash back to stock, your performance tune is still in the SCT.

I would recommend that you put your evolution tune back in and take it to the dealer.

I highly doubt they will pay any attention to it whatsoever if you're just going in for an oil change.

Your evo tune always stays in the SCT. That's why it won't work on any other car but yours!

Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 09-19-2006, 12:22 AM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: moosestang

+1

The words are "Moss-Manganson" and SEMA!

Mike
Old 09-19-2006, 12:32 AM
BigNasty06
2nd Gear Member

Yes, the Evolution Performance tunes stays on the tuner. But when I returned it to "stock" today, the car barely keeps running, and the entire front end shakes like the motor is struggling.

I guess I need to stay away from the dealer unless I truly need warranty work ot a TSB/recall performed.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:22 AM
BigNasty06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MikeVistaBlue06

ORIGINAL: moosestang

+1

The words are "Moss-Manganson" and SEMA!
Well what happens when they flash my PCM back to stock at the dealer, and I try to load the SCT 87 Octane tune? I have no clue how to check for the CALID?

Quick Reply: HELP! RETURNED EVOLUTION TUNE TO STOCK...