Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clunk when accelerating after lowering?? (update)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 09:52 PM
blaven
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: clunk when accelerating after lowering??

Also make sure your springs were installed correctly. The pigtails should be facing the driver's side on both side's
Old 09-25-2006, 10:22 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Does that really matter? Surely if that was important they would include some kind of instructions saying so.

ORIGINAL: blaven

Also make sure your springs were installed correctly. The pigtails should be facing the driver's side on both side's
Old 09-25-2006, 11:19 PM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Does that really matter? Surely if that was important they would include some kind of instructions saying so.

Yeah, I believe the springs must be put in the exact way the others originally sat. If they aren't, they will make noise. I installed mine that way and I don't have any noise. What kind of springs were they?
Old 09-26-2006, 12:08 AM
blaven
3rd Gear Member

Yeah i have mine both facing the drivers side just like the stock ones were and i have no noise at all.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:14 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

They are the ford racing springs and i'm pulling out the [sm=bs.gif]flag on the facing to the drivers side. There is no special groove for the pigtail to sit in on the bottom and the spring is pretty flat on the bottom anyway, the top i'm not sure about because I didn't pull the spring cushion out.

ORIGINAL: Newbreedgt05

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Yeah, I believe the springs must be put in the exact way the others originally sat. If they aren't, they will make noise. I installed mine that way and I don't have any noise. What kind of springs were they?
Old 09-26-2006, 12:34 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Newbreedgt05

Do you have adj. LCA's? They're not listed in your mods. I didn't notice any noise on my first test drive when my pinion angle was set at approximately -5 or -6 degrees, after setting it to approximately -4 degrees it started the clunking noise so i'm guessing it has everything to do with the pinion angle and nothing to do with the rear springs. By the way i'm not stomping on the gas in second gear, I merely coast and then touch the gas and there's a clunk each time. I now have my pinion angle set to -2 to -2.5 approximately, but I didn't get a chance to test drive it.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:41 AM
yays51

I think I have the exact same problem. However, this noise has been the case before and after I lowered the car. From what I have gathered, this transmission is just plain noisy and completely "normal". Another problem that I encountered when I installed my springs was that the strut boot (I think that's what it's caled) was loose, causing the clunking noise. But your concern sounds more to do with the tranny.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:55 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The transmission is noisy, especially the manual when you put it in nuetral, but this clunk is coming from the rear of the vehicle, that i'm sure of.

ORIGINAL: yays51

I think I have the exact same problem. However, this noise has been the case before and after I lowered the car. From what I have gathered, this transmission is just plain noisy and completely "normal". Another problem that I encountered when I installed my springs was that the strut boot (I think that's what it's caled) was loose, causing the clunking noise. But your concern sounds more to do with the tranny.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:23 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: clunk when accelerating after lowering?? (update)

Well I decreased my pinion angle even more to about 2 to 2.5 degrees negative and the clunk is gone. I took a short cruise up to Mac Donalds to test it and it's perfectly smooth when coasting in second and stepping on the gas.