Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Sound from Engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 01:34 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

Default Weird Sound from Engine

Ok, I guess I'm a little paranoid, but yesterday I'm in the drive through and was idling for a while. I started to hear a strange noise coming from the engine. The best way I can describe it is a periodic tick...I could count slowly...1...2...3...4...5...and on five I'd hear an audible and single "click" coming from the engine.

Here's the funny part, I start messing around with the different settings on the dash. I had the defroster on from my morning commute, so I move the climate control from defrost to OFF. It stop clicking, I kept idling for a few more minutes and no more clicking noise. It's hard for me to believe that these two are related.

I start fiddling around with the climate controls and couldn't get it to reproduce itself. However, I did notice the climate controls are actually controlled electronically. In accessory mode I can turn the climate control to defrost, floor, etc. and actually hear the servo operating. I'm used to a vacuum controlled system, so it kind of surprised me.

I have a SCT 93 Octane tune and a Steeda Cold Air Kit, but it doesn't sound like pinging too me. Although, I guess I've never actually heard a vehicle knock before. It doesn't sound like the valves clicking, either, I've have heard that sound before on another vehicle, kind of a rapid clicking, it's way to slow for that. I loaded the 87 Octane tune this morning, just to be certain.

Has anyone else heard the same noise?

Oh, the car is a 2006 GT.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:11 PM
KdF
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Weird Sound from Engine

Betcha a Coke it`s the AC clutch!

Turn it on , walk around to the engine and watch!
Old 09-30-2006, 02:17 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

everyone has it. it's the a/c clutch. happens with the defroster on, too. sucks, but can't be fixed.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:49 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys, it's glad to know that the sound is normal. I had no idea that the AC clutch engaged in defrost mode...go figure...you learn something new everyday. Ok, well, I'm off to reload my 93 Octane tune.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:05 PM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

Hey man that A/C clutch get really annoying but it can be fixed. I have a 'Vert and that thing was so freakin loud and annoying. I took my car back 3 times for them to fix the click, everytime they told me that's the way it is and nothign can be done. Well they were wrong, I refused to take my car back if it was still making that ridiculously loud clicking noise that I could here over the wind noise and radio. Suddenly out of no where they found a TSB.....wow...go figure. There is a fix for this problem, so if it drives you crazy like me they will fix it under a TSB, and replace the A/C clutch with some other parts and all your clicking will go away !!
Old 09-30-2006, 10:24 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: backinblack06

Hey man that A/C clutch get really annoying but it can be fixed. I have a 'Vert and that thing was so freakin loud and annoying. I took my car back 3 times for them to fix the click, everytime they told me that's the way it is and nothign can be done. Well they were wrong, I refused to take my car back if it was still making that ridiculously loud clicking noise that I could here over the wind noise and radio. Suddenly out of no where they found a TSB.....wow...go figure. There is a fix for this problem, so if it drives you crazy like me they will fix it under a TSB, and replace the A/C clutch with some other parts and all your clicking will go away !!
got that tsb number?