Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brenspeed Retune

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 07:45 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Brenspeed Retune

ORIGINAL: Rupp

If you had a Diablosport Predator tuner couldn't you adjust for these add-ons?
No. The SCT and the Predator both do the exact same thing. They are different brands, but they are virtually identical.

Their primary function is just to copy a new tune file onto the car's onboard computer. If you have a significant mod that requires the timing/fuel maps to be changed then you must get a new tune file from your vendor.

Both of them can make certain Minor changes without a tune file. For example you can change when the fans turn on/off, or you can change the speedo setting if you get different gears. These things can be done without a tune file.

But with either the SCT or The Predator, you must get a new tune file for mods that require tuning (headers, CMCPs, CAI, and so on)
Old 10-10-2006, 07:56 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

I was never told that it would be free. (Not that I am calling V0s6a a liar, I am just stateing that I wasnt told that)

I was expecting to pay for it. However, there was some confusion when I posted this originally. The 110 appears to be for 3 new tunes. The lady thought i wanted to update all 3 different oct. tunes. I have not called back, but I belive these guys are right and it will be 60. The 110 was amazingly shocking to me, so I was a little on the pissed side.

While 60 is still alot, I will live with it. I will also try to group my mods into batches to minimize the costs.

I was thinking that since he will give free tunes if you buy the parts from him I could buy one thing from him and have him tune for everything else, BUT he doesnt sell the brand of headers I am leaning towards or the FRPP CMDP or the brand of UDPs I want.

I really like doing buisness with him and He is always willing to help, and give advice, and I would love to buy the parts from him but the selection is very very low. His policy of tuning free when you buy from him would be completly cool with me if he only had a better selction of parts.

For example he only sells the saleen UDP that cost 250, I would much rather buy the moto blue UDPs for $150. I would like to buy dynatech headers (I think) instead of kooks but he only has kooks and MAC. I dont think he has the CMDPs at all.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:59 PM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

ORIGINAL: Rupp

If you had a Diablosport Predator tuner couldn't you adjust for these add-ons?
No. The SCT and the Predator both do the exact same thing. They are different brands, but they are virtually identical.

Their primary function is just to copy a new tune file onto the car's onboard computer. If you have a significant mod that requires the timing/fuel maps to be changed then you must get a new tune file from your vendor.

Both of them can make certain Minor changes without a tune file. For example you can change when the fans turn on/off, or you can change the speedo setting if you get different gears. These things can be done without a tune file.

But with either the SCT or The Predator, you must get a new tune file for mods that require tuning (headers, CMCPs, CAI, and so on)
Partly right, but missing some other good information.

You can change more than just when the fans turn on/off and speedo settings with the SCT. If the vendor you purchased your tune from has it unlocked, then you can also do things like Add/Remove spark in RPM increments and Adjust fuel ratio at different RPMs and WOT. These things are most likely the ones that will change when you do any mods, but they are NOT the same as having your vendor recreate the entire timing/fuel map for your mods. Your vendor will give you more precise settings, and ensure that you do not damage your engine by having too little fuel at a given RPM.

So, CrazyAl, you are right. You wouldn't want to program your car yourself using the adjustable settings in the tuner, but if you are feeling lucky, you just might be able to get by.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Warlok
2nd Gear Member

Brent told me that if I ever did any other mods on my 07 GT that he would send email me the file to load in my SCT Xcal2 and no charge. I bought the C&L Intake, pypes mufflers, and the SCT from him. Since this is all I wanted, I am real happy with Brenspeed.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:21 PM
Andys06GT
2nd Gear Member

thats weird,,, fred at evo sent me a new tune for free. i moved to a place with 93 oct instead of 91, so he even payed shipping on it. go evo....
Old 10-11-2006, 07:28 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Performance-wise the JLT and the C&L are virtually identical. I would pick whichever one you like better.

Let's get this straight with Brenspeed though:

1 tune = $60.

3 tunes = $110

Bought parts from him: tunes are free.

...I don't know where this "$330" figure is coming from unless you want three new tune files for every one mod? That makes no sense.
Because I want all the tunes everytime I upgrade, I aint gonna just buy 1 tune for 60$ and have to stick 93 premium for thruout the whole week. I want 87 octane for weekdays and 93 octane for weekends that is why. So 3 upgrades = 330$. Tunes are free if you buy the parts he stocks and as you can see he doesn't stock up everything

ATt. Andrew

Att. Andrew
Old 10-11-2006, 07:46 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Why would you want all the tunes? Just run 93 all the time. The price difference is not much unless you drive a TON of miles.

Let's say you do 15,000 miles a year and get 20 MPG on average. That seems pretty reasonable. That means you're burning 750 gals of gas in a year. Premium (93) usually costs 20 cents/gal more than the basic stuff. So then you're looking at a total cost difference of $150 over that year. Three bucks a week. That's not a lot of money compared to what you are getting for it. In your case the cost difference will probably be less. After all, you're already putting in premium some of the time.

If you really want to keep switching gas, then just skip the "mid grade" tune. If you buy two "3-packs" of tunes you can end up wth 87 and 93 tunes for each of three mods. That's $110 knocked off the price.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:12 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Why would you want all the tunes? Just run 93 all the time. The price difference is not much unless you drive a TON of miles.

Let's say you do 15,000 miles a year and get 20 MPG on average. That seems pretty reasonable. That means you're burning 750 gals of gas in a year. Premium (93) usually costs 20 cents/gal more than the basic stuff. So then you're looking at a total cost difference of $150 over that year. Three bucks a week. That's not a lot of money compared to what you are getting for it. In your case the cost difference will probably be less. After all, you're already putting in premium some of the time.

If you really want to keep switching gas, then just skip the "mid grade" tune. If you buy two "3-packs" of tunes you can end up wth 87 and 93 tunes for each of three mods. That's $110 knocked off the price.
2005 gt with 35k miles. I bought it april 2005