Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunking noises?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 10:28 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default Clunking noises?

I remember hearing about some people having issues with their rears, and that it would clunk when shifting / slow turns... Well, mine clunks whenever I release the clutch at low speeds, like a shift from 1st to 2nd, or 2nd to 3rd. I think those who had the issue had it taken care of by the dealership, and the culprit was clutch paks?

I took mine to the dealer today, and the service guy told me there has been no Mustangs in for this, and that they wanted me to keep it at the dealer for a day or two. Fat chance... I recall someone having a TSB sheet for this, that they presented to the dealer and the dealer fixed it... I could be thinking of something else, but if anyone has any info on the subject please respond.

PS, I also asked about the window scratches. My passenger window scratches once and while in operation. They said sometimes dirt gets in there, and all they do is clean it out, but don't replace the glass. I told them I recall it being some kind of mechanical part inside the door scratching the glass, as from what I heard on here. He said he's never heard of that. Again, they wanted to keep the car for 1-2 days. All I wanted was for them to tell me what's wrong, what their fix is, and how they are going to go about it. I'm not leaving my only car at the dealership so they can take things apart, and tell me nothing is wrong with it.

Thanks,
Menace.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:52 AM
Warlok
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Clunking noises?

Sir the clunk you hear when shifting is the unfortunite sound of a split drivshaft "two piece". It seems that the rear end is set pretty loose and somtimes seems like a worn U-joint doesnt it? It's not. And it takes a while to learn to "drive around" the clunking. Carry your shifts farther in rpms and slowly up shift. Its weird to explain, but you WILL get past that and soon wont be noticing it any more.

Its a matter of getting used to the hydralic clutch too. This explaination sounds sort of lame, but I was on top of this crap from day 1 and made it a point to be shown this happans in all the 07 GTs with 5 speed manuals. I had the dealer let me drive a brand new GT
'mine was a week old" just to make sure it made the same clunks...it did.

Now for the TSB you were asking about. Thats on the clutch pack in the rear end. This sound will be heard when you turn full lock left or right slowly in a parking lot etc. You will hear a growling sound from the rear end a bit like the sound of a power steering pump under load. You will want to make sure you have the car warmed up compleatly when you test this. Just find a open empty parking lot after a good run and turn some 360's slowly in first gear. You will know if the clutch pack is hurtin.

The TSB is 06-19-2 and is listed as 8.8 LIMITED SLIP AXEL MOAN/GROAN NOISE DURING LOW SPEED TURNING MANUVERS:

I can email you the printed copy I have on this, as I had mine done a week or two ago. Good luck sir..