Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IRS

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 12:11 AM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: IRS

Pay attention to my post, and what I said, the S197 is awesome, compared to the 60's generation, and for you to compare some 1991(datsun) POS, that won't "touch" an S197, in all catagories, is BS.
YOU called the new breed retro Stang a "fatpig", for that comment alone............. SHOWS your ignorance.[sm=bustedsign.gif][sm=badidea.gif]
Old 10-17-2006, 12:14 AM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

ORIGINAL: Kaldar142

ORIGINAL: 05gtdriver

ORIGINAL: LegallyTorchRED

Ok Kaldar,.......... it is what it is.
I respect your opinion, HOWEVER,......
IF you feel you are driving a "fat pig",.. you, Sir.... don't deserve a MUSTANG. Try driving any 66-72 'Stang, and then state your opinion.
IMHO
I just think he's poking fun......the S197 is a larger 2 door sports coupe, and coming from a smaller, lighter and IRS equipped JapCrap, of course the 'Stang's gonna feel, well, LARGE. I drove European Ford Capris for over 15 years before getting into trucks and now, Mustangs! The Mustang does feel very large and heavy, but with a lot of grip and balance...too bad Ford leaves too much
off the cars to make better use of these traits(i.e. too soft of springs, cheap suspension pieces, too small a rear sway bar). With proper pieces these cars can be made into animals(I drove a Roush Stage 2 and there's a noticeable difference). I see both perspectives and no, the S197 isn't a big fat pig, but maybe a piglet?(hahaha)
i just wish the stang wasnt so heavy and more handling orientated and sir, my 240sx is not japcrap.

if anything itll beat half the v6 mustangs out there
Fixed [8D]
Old 10-17-2006, 12:15 AM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

i'm not here to argue.

ps my "japcrap datsun pos" is defiently not slow.

240rwhp in a 2400lb car is pretty quick if you ask me
Old 10-17-2006, 12:18 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Hey Kaldar, just my phrase for all things Japanese....not harm implied. Just funny to me and it rhymes...JapCrap! I've owned plenty of Asian tin before and I'm not offended by it. Stock for stock a new S197 GT will embarrass an early nineties 240SX, but it'll feel less
communicative in the process.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:28 AM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

stock for stock, yeah it will. but in autocross i'm pretty sure the 240sx would be right behind it. just look at the 240sx for an early 90s car it was pretty nice...

2600lbs, IRS, 5 speed RWD, 4 wheel disc brakes. 160 hp? ehhhhh its lacking the hp but hey it gets the job done.

my sr20det took care of the power problem
Old 10-17-2006, 12:46 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kaldar142

stock for stock, yeah it will. but in autocross i'm pretty sure the 240sx would be right behind it. just look at the 240sx for an early 90s car it was pretty nice...

2600lbs, IRS, 5 speed RWD, 4 wheel disc brakes. 160 hp? ehhhhh its lacking the hp but hey it gets the job done.

my sr20det took care of the power problem
Oh yeah, no doubt the 240SX would chase it like a bloodhound on an autocross, better chassis dynamics, lighter weight and with
proper suspension tuning it wouldn't be close. I realize that the 240SX was always considered the perfect autocross/drifting/roadrace platform. The Jap spec Slivias(which aren't of course sold here) are little terrors(basically a mini Skyline with better balance and less hp and just 2wd). I'm completely familiar with this type of car, remember, I was in my mid 20's when these cars were new..too bad we didn't get the turbo 240SX version here.....just got the damn Hardbody Pickup/Altima powered one. I actually prefer the last version sold here, '95 I believe.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:26 AM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

Ummmmm..... the Falken Mustang is the Drift King over any Japanese Ricer you can name. It doesn't need an IRS to run circles around whatever the Japs wanna throw at it.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:53 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Yes, in drifting hp can be the equalizing force, but if you had read my post, it says, WAS considered the perfect platform, that implies that it used to be.....and I agree with proper suspension setup the S197 'Stang is a monster.....it has great balance, just needs to be exploited better with aftermarket parts. I'd never consider Asian tin against a Mustang with my money.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:40 PM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

well the american drifting scene is alot different then the japanese drifting scene, basically the american drifting scene is all about raw hp, i mean every single car they have out their now is just ridiculous.

by the way, if the mustang is sooooooo great in terms of handling, why does it lose just about every grand am race lol

BMW stomps all over them, no doubt the s197 is an awesome car but its so damn heavy.

ps the last version 240sx sold here was a 97, oh yeah the silvias and 180s in japan are awesome.... sad but true the 240sx in america was designed for the middle age women, hence the down tuned engine (ka24 as opposed to sr20det or ca18det) whereas in japan it was designed as a sports car for young people.

but all in all i like the mustang better, thats why i'm here lol. i just wish it was more handling orientated, ford got the acceleration part down now alls they need is the handling part, hell if they just lost a couple hundred pounds and gave it 50/50 weight ratio it would be amazing
Old 10-17-2006, 03:55 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

I will second the "Mustang handles like a fat pig statement." I had a 2005 RX8 Shinka before getting my 2006 Mustang GT and that Mazda would embarrass the Mustang on any curvy road course. Why? That's what the car was built for. Now, I live in SE Michigan which is a land of grid-like street design (lots of straights). Mustangs would embarrass me all day long between the stop lights. Being that I am not moving from this area for some time I decided to get a car that fit my environment. I get much more joy out of burning rubber between the stop lights with my stang. But the first things I noticed about the Mustang were the ****ty brakes and crappy suspension when it came time to do something other than drive straight. But that is what the Mustang was built for so I'm happy. I can always mod the stang to fix it's short comings......but stock this thing handles like a fat pig.

Quick Reply: IRS