Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finished my linelocks finally........

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 07:26 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Finished my linelocks finally........

Now i'm getting somewhere! Here's a bubble flared line with metric threads, they also sell bubble flare lines with us/domestic threads.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...tnumber=BLE330
Old 10-29-2006, 10:29 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Just to be clear, have you ever installed a linelock? As far as I can tell none of the solenoids have ports that are supposed to except flared brake line so it's impossible to install without using some type of sealer on the adapter. For some reason the stock lines/fittings sealed in the port on the summit solenoid, but I think I was supposed to use an adapter.

ORIGINAL: Justastockmustang

Just to be clear, brake lines should not should NOT have any type of sealer, be it tape, paste or other.

If it leaks there is a problem that needs to be fixed, not sealed. Most likely a bad flare or the wrong fitting.

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

This information is too late, but here it is anyway:

When you're working on critical fittings and you don't want to use teflon tape for the aformentioned safety reasons, you use teflon PASTE, also called joint compound or "pipe dope". The paste-like compounds won't break off bits that can contaminate the lines.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:53 PM
jay0heavenly
3rd Gear Member

Hey Moosesang, I gotta newbie q, I have been hearing some people talk about linelocks that say it will mess up our ABS. What system do you have, where did you get it and what did you do to ensure it did not mess up the ABS? (Sorry if you answered this already). Thanks.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:15 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I bought two solenoids from summitracing.com and made my own lines from parts at napa. I have no abs problems or leaks even though I seemed to have screwed a metric fitting into a 1/8 inch npt port on the solenoid.
If the solenoids are installed between the abs block and the front brakes then there shouldn't be any problems.

ORIGINAL: jay0heavenly

Hey Moosesang, I gotta newbie q, I have been hearing some people talk about linelocks that say it will mess up our ABS. What system do you have, where did you get it and what did you do to ensure it did not mess up the ABS? (Sorry if you answered this already). Thanks.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:39 PM
jay0heavenly
3rd Gear Member

thanks!
Old 10-30-2006, 10:10 PM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

No, I haven't installed linelocks. While Ford does not use anything but flare fittings on the brakes obviously the aftermarket doesn't always do things the same way.

You are correct about the 1/8 NPT ports on the solenoids. It looks like that's the way they all do it. Probably so they don't need different models.

This is a quote from TCI's instructions:

Step 2 Before mounting solenoid, note that the solenoid body has two (2) threaded port. The
brake lines are connected to these ports. There are two (2) common size brake lines available.
TCI’s solenoid will work with either size but you will need to purchase the proper bushing
adapter. The thread size in the TCI solenoid is 1/8" pipe thread. Purchase either an adapter that
goes from 1/8†to 1/4†inverted flair or 1/8†to 3/16†inverted flair. When using the bushing
adapters you may use Teflon tape on the adapter threads but do not cover the first two (2)
threads. Use of an excessive amount of Teflon sealing tape can cause contamination to brake
system. You must obtain a pair of brake line fittings to join the brake line to the solenoid. The
brake line fittings will seal the system and keep from leaking fluid pressure.

CrazyAl - Sorry, obviously I was wrong in saying there was NO circumstance that someone could encounter anything other than a flare, someone other than Ford may have done it.

I have gone to the garage and had a gorgous girl give me 20 lashes with brake lines!

I just get a little sensitive with brakes and some of the dangerous things that I have seen done to them over the years. The sealant and flare issue comes up over and over again.

Moosestang - Once again good work on keeping with this.

Now don't throw anything at me!! I still think you have a couple of the wrong fittings in some places. I am concerned about the adapter in the ABS controller, what kind of threads did it have? The controller should have been a flare fitting. You also have one of the flares goning into the solenoid that is supposed to be 1/8 NPT. You may have to clear this up for me! LOL!

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Just to be clear, have you ever installed a linelock? As far as I can tell none of the solenoids have ports that are supposed to except flared brake line so it's impossible to install without using some type of sealer on the adapter. For some reason the stock lines/fittings sealed in the port on the summit solenoid, but I think I was supposed to use an adapter.

ORIGINAL: Justastockmustang

Just to be clear, brake lines should not should NOT have any type of sealer, be it tape, paste or other.

If it leaks there is a problem that needs to be fixed, not sealed. Most likely a bad flare or the wrong fitting.

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

This information is too late, but here it is anyway:

When you're working on critical fittings and you don't want to use teflon tape for the aformentioned safety reasons, you use teflon PASTE, also called joint compound or "pipe dope". The paste-like compounds won't break off bits that can contaminate the lines.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:43 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Generally, most OEM systems have double-flare (or bubble flare) connections only.

You do see NPT (pipe thread) fittings on some parts. As the above post mentioned, some line-lock solenoids have NPT threads on them. Likewise, some race parts like proportioning valves, residual-pressure valves, and calipers have tapered threads too. Most Wilwood calipers are like this, for example.

Tapered threads (pipe threads) DO require some kind of sealant. As we discussed earlier, teflon tape is not a good choice. Rather there are many liquid sealants that you can use instead. HOWEVER, you only use this sealant on the tapered part of the fitting. Flared fittings never require sealant. If a flared fitting is properly torqued and it leaks, then one or more parts of that fitting are defective.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:02 PM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

Now if we could just get everyone to read!
Old 06-21-2007, 06:34 AM
probinator
3rd Gear Member

is there a write up on this somewhere. I think this will be my next mod....