Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride quality after lowering

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 04:32 PM
RideCRF450
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Ride quality after lowering

The setup was actually quite simple. I replaced both the Tokicos and the Eibachs at the same time, as this saved me from two different installs. You have to go to any Autozone, Checker Auto, etc. and get spring compressors. These are like two simple rods that clamp onto the spring and tighten so as to compress the original springs. Then you remove the spings and hook up the new shock and struts to the new prokit. Then basically just place everything back together...I also added the camber bolts which were a little tricky to figure out how they went in. This allowed me to take it to the local Ford dealer here and have them adjust all of the camber, tow, etc. so tire wear is even. There is a good write up on this forum somewhere...I will try and find it.

Essentially, the Tokicos look identical to the original shocks/struts (which makes sense because they have to be) and the spring are similar, but are shorter (to lower the ride). All of the stock bolts are reused... Everything is pretty self explanatory once the old stuff comes out because all you have to do, is replace the new stuff.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:37 PM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RideCRF450

The setup was actually quite simple. I replaced both the Tokicos and the Eibachs at the same time, as this saved me from two different installs. You have to go to any Autozone, Checker Auto, etc. and get spring compressors. These are like two simple rods that clamp onto the spring and tighten so as to compress the original springs. Then you remove the spings and hook up the new shock and struts to the new prokit. Then basically just place everything back together...I also added the camber bolts which were a little tricky to figure out how they went in. This allowed me to take it to the local Ford dealer here and have them adjust all of the camber, tow, etc. so tire wear is even. There is a good write up on this forum somewhere...I will try and find it.

Essentially, the Tokicos look identical to the original shocks/struts (which makes sense because they have to be) and the spring are similar, but are shorter (to lower the ride). All of the stock bolts are reused... Everything is pretty self explanatory once the old stuff comes out because all you have to do, is replace the new stuff.

Ditto. The ride is much smoother with the Tokicos. I would probably still have the stock shocks/struts if the back ones didn't start leaking.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:21 PM
Stewart
2nd Gear Member

My problem with slapping on springs without doing anything else is that the spring rate doesn't match the oem strut dampering. So, after I put on my springs the ride, while feeling stiffer, just felt off. The shcokls have bottomed out a few times and I'm going to get tokico struts as soon as I can. I wouldn't reccomend just getting new springs. Btw I have the Steeda performance springs.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:26 AM
lynwood78
3rd Gear Member

I just ordered my Steeda Lite Springs and I'm debating if I should get the D-SPEC SHOCKS & STRUTS or the Tokico D-Spec 16-Way Adjustable Shocks & Struts. Help a brother out or it really doesn't matter which one I pick.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:30 PM
RideCRF450
1st Gear Member

Well, first off, I was unaware that there were two diff. kinds of Tokicos...but why would you not want the adjustability? It is nice to know that you can adj. smoothness for the street, and tighten 'em up for autocross/fun street driving, etc. I live in Tucson, so the roads here are pretty dry and cracked. I tend to keep mine adjusted to about 4 clicks from full stiffness. The ride is really quite nice. Definitely go with the 16 way adj. ones. Hope this helps.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:43 PM
lynwood78
3rd Gear Member

I got confused with the ones from brenspeed and some other website. They're the same shock/struts.