Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Learning to "feel" the car

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 12:47 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default Learning to "feel" the car

Alright so last night I figured Id go out and get a real feel for my car in the turns (its stock suspension wise)... Had a couple really sharp turns that I took at around 40-50 and the car felt pretty stable, although it felt like I had to keep turning the wheel, as if the wheels kept slipping. Is that normal? Also, when I do a U-turn and try to do it even semi-fast the car bounces around... it feels like the front tires lift off the ground and then grip again and then repeating(maybe?)... Everything in the car shakes and vibrates like crazy along with this ungodly sound that makes me want to cringe... what causes that? Also, what fixes it? Please dont say "suspension mods" because Im not ignorant, I know suspension mods help, Id just like to know what specific mods do in specific situations. Anyone have any insight? Thanks
Old 12-14-2006, 12:51 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Learning to "feel" the car

sounds like wheel hop when its "bouncing." are your tires breaking loose in the back? if it is wheel hop, some lca's should help. I did the same thing during summer. went out at 2am and took some hard turns with nobody around. handles like a champ, i really expected alot less from it.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:58 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

sounds like wheel hop when its "bouncing." are your tires breaking loose in the back? if it is wheel hop, some lca's should help. I did the same thing during summer. went out at 2am and took some hard turns with nobody around. handles like a champ, i really expected alot less from it.
Im not sure if they break loose, it doesnt feel like the wheel is spinning, but there usually is a slight screech. I guess it could be wheel hop, it feels like its coming from the front... I could be wrong though. Is it possible to have front wheel hop? I know Ive felt wheel hop in the back once when I tried to burn out in the rain with TC on.. my God was that painful.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:59 AM
Chuckdoc
3rd Gear Member

You're driving a heavy front biased car with little to no grip on stock tires. This is combined with the stock suspension that was tuned for normal, comfy driving - not high speed u-turns. What you are describing is understeer taken to the 9th degree, where the front wheels are looking for purchase and 'bouncing' off traction.

Racing tires, less air pressure, and a shock and spring replacement with sway bars would help some, but you're still not gonna be able to carve because of the weight distribution.

To achieve driving nirvana, I recommend a mid-engine exotic sports car (read: farrarri, lambo, nsx, etc... )

Not to knock what you got. I love Mustangs. I just spent a LOT on one. You can have loads of fun in one, but it's more a GT type car than pure sports car.

Chuck
Old 12-14-2006, 01:01 AM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

lol don't break an axle wheel hopping, that would ruin ur day
Old 12-14-2006, 01:07 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

bl1nkage i'll tell you lowering my car and adding LCA's and my panhard bar made a noticable difference for corners along with the KDW2's. I can take a 45 degree turn at 30mph and not even hear a screech.

-Jeff
Old 12-14-2006, 01:45 AM
classj
4th Gear Member

All of the above will help. My thoughts are to add stickier tires to mine. Then a maybe a GT500 rear sway bar only, which will eliminate some push. After that, maybe shocks. Lowering the car really is not attractive to me right now, but it may happen. I like the raked stance though given it is a muscle car and I dont track my car.

But they handle pretty good as is. With the TCS off, because of the great diff out back, and actually quite good weight distribution, you can steer these cars with the throttle. If it is pushing a bit too much, a little throttle should bring it around for you.

It will never be as neutral as say a porsche 944 or cayman S. But they are quite good and very respectable.