Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wax

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 12:32 AM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Wax

Claybar is only necessary if you have contaminents on your paint. If your paint still feels smooth, a polish and then a wax will do. If it feels kinda gritty to the touch, even after a wash, then go for the clay bar. I also like Meguiar's Paint Cleaner, it removes all your old wax and polish, and readies your car for a new coat/new coats. You should NEVER keep putting new coats over old coats, because the old coats will contain contaminents. If you're getting ready to wax, was your car with a mixture of your normal car wash, and Dawn or some other strong detergent (you need onlya small amount of the detergent). This will get rid of most of the old wax and/or polish. Then start by washing and drying the car thoroughly, and moving on to claybar. Then use a prep product, such as my afore-mentioned Paint Cleaner. Then polish, then wax. You paint will feel better than new.

What products to use? It's up to you. Don't go cheap, or you'll get cheap results. I detail cars on the side, so I'm not about to tell you everything I use. Besides, most of it I get at a local speciatlty shop the caters to detailers, so you may never even find it. Stay away from high-speed polishers, unless you know what you're doing. But a decent orbital buffer will do wonders. After you take off the last coat of wax, I always wipe down the entire car, then buff it with a micro-fiber bonnet on your orbital buffer. It will shine like a diamond...

See, no swirl marks, no scratches, and an awesome shine....(sorry I'm so long winded)
Old 01-06-2007, 12:34 AM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

P.S. Polish shines, wax protects... You need BOTH. And don't get a "cleaner wax," they're completely pointless.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:40 AM
Mustang Dude

+1 to the Turtle Wax Ice.

I have been a loyal Meguires customer for years, but a friend recommended the Ice. No more white residue on the black trim and moldings. You can basically wax over anything but the glass with this stuff and the final product looks like a professional detailing job. You can even wax in direct sun. I have been using the Liquid Polish for about 6 months now, it is quick and easy to use and theyhave a companion spray on detailer for in between wax jobs.They now also have a paste wax and a liquid clay bar version.

The results are surprising.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:43 AM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

Mustang Dude, waxing your glass is actually a good thing. It's easier to do, and works a lot better and longer than Rain X. I would actually recommend waxing your windows every time you wax your car. You'll notice a big difference when it rains. The only time I have to put my wipers on is when it's pouring.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:43 AM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

There is no need to use Dawn when washing if you plan on claying the car. The clay is going to remove any wax that is on the car. As for the orbital buffers they are ok for applying wax but that is all they are good for. Save your money and if you want a Random Orbital that is capable of fixing paint flaws buy the right tool and buy the Porter Cable 7424 which is what i think Slappy is refering to.
Those 10" Orbitals that Sears and Wally World sell really do nothing to help the finsh of your car.

Richard
Old 01-06-2007, 12:45 AM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

Yes, get a GOOD orbital buffer. Not the $20 from Wal-Mart or Autozone. Porter Cable makes a good one.

And I only suggested the Dawn because it makes the rest of the process a little easier. Work smarter, not harder.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:56 AM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SlappyGT

Yes, get a GOOD orbital buffer. Not the $20 from Wal-Mart or Autozone. Porter Cable makes a good one.

And I only suggested the Dawn because it makes the rest of the process a little easier. Work smarter, not harder.
I understand completely why you suggested the Dawn but there is no need of your going to be using a clay bar after that anyway. The clay bar is going to remove the wax and your not doing any extra work since you already planned on claying. No need to subject your paint to the harshness of Dawn.

Meg's use to have a fantastic paint cleaner that they no longer make due to VOC regs but that stuff works wonders after claying. You think claying makes the finish smooth man does it get slick after the paint cleaner.

Richard
Old 01-06-2007, 01:54 AM
Gone2
2nd Gear Member

Turtle Wax Ice?

I've never actually had a wax make me infuriated like ICE did. It streaked so bad I had to dawn the whole car and rewax with something else. I keep ICE to to the plastic bits of the car.

The ICE detail spray is pretty good.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:47 AM
FINGT
1st Gear Member

I use now Zaino, best and easiest wax I have ever used. You can wax the whole car and let it dry and then polish it, and the finish is just great.
I first used Turtlewax, some new wax don't remember the name any more, but it was pain to use. If you let the wax to dry, it was really hard to polish and the finish was bad, you could see polishing marks, it was a nightmare. When I polished the Turtlewax when being still a bit wet, then the finish was pretty good, but still, Zaino is the way to go. My car is black so I used the product targeted for new cars, it will not "sand" the paint.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:42 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FINGT

I use now Zaino, best and easiest wax I have ever used. You can wax the whole car and let it dry and then polish it, and the finish is just great.
I first used Turtlewax, some new wax don't remember the name any more, but it was pain to use. If you let the wax to dry, it was really hard to polish and the finish was bad, you could see polishing marks, it was a nightmare. When I polished the Turtlewax when being still a bit wet, then the finish was pretty good, but still, Zaino is the way to go. My car is black so I used the product targeted for new cars, it will not "sand" the paint.
Aren't you supposed to polish --> then wax? So as to have the wax cover & protect the nice clean finish and shine the polish gives your car?

Quick Reply: Wax