Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flame bait: What's a pully

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 11:57 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Flame bait: What's a pully

ORIGINAL: Riven02

ORIGINAL: mygt500

They reduce the accessories draw on the cars alternator (lights, a/c, etc) and reduce the draw by 20-30% or so. When you free up horse power to do other things the motor works better and in many cases faster (more HP) than without the underdrive pullies.
I don’t mean to get to nitpicky but the draw from the lights and such is not decreased. It is actually the opposite. The output is decreased. This is why some feel UDPs are a bad idea. Since you are decreasing output but maintaining the same draw.
This is correct; it is not a free lunch. If you spend a lot of time in traffic at night with your AC on, for example, UDP's might be a bad idea. I've heard mixed reviews of them...but they do, unquestionably, give you a few extra hp to send to the rear wheels instead of alternator, water pump, AC, power steering, etc. The question is whether or not the power is better sent to the "other items." I think the AC cuts out under WOT anyway, so there the UDP just cuts your low speed AC power in exchange for no gain....

I have not tried them so I have no opinion.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:34 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

You are right and thanks for the correction! Nitpick all you want I just want to know all I can about my beloved car! Thanks

They reduce the accessories draw on the cars alternator (lights, a/c, etc) and reduce the draw by 20-30% or so. When you free up horse power to do other things the motor works better and in many cases faster (more HP) than without the underdrive pullies.
I don’t mean to get to nitpicky but the draw from the lights and such is not decreased. It is actually the opposite. The output is decreased. This is why some feel UDPs are a bad idea. Since you are decreasing output but maintaining the same draw.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:32 AM
CaptainAmerica
1st Gear Member

OK, this is incredibly helpful, I appreciate it. I livein Seattle so I raraely ues the AC. Even when its hot, I'd rather have the window open. But I do use the windshied wiper blades pretty often. Do you recommend them?

So other than a CAI + Tune andUDP, are there any other "easy" ways to increase RWHP? I dont want to go Super Charger. A friend of mine said get new cams but I dont know how this would help and it sounds pretty complicated and $$. Thanks everyone.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:36 AM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 6xStang

This is correct; it is not a free lunch. If you spend a lot of time in traffic at night with your AC on, for example, UDP's might be a bad idea. I've heard mixed reviews of them...but they do, unquestionably, give you a few extra hp to send to the rear wheels instead of alternator, water pump, AC, power steering, etc. The question is whether or not the power is better sent to the "other items." I think the AC cuts out under WOT anyway, so there the UDP just cuts your low speed AC power in exchange for no gain....

I have not tried them so I have no opinion.
The voltage regulator does compensate for this, because the alternator turns at different speeds depending on the engine RPM's. I have not had any issues with the UDP, Some have had power issues when running the shaker 1000 becaue the amps draw a lot of amperage. I have a voltage meter and I charge at 13.2 - 14.5 most of the time.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:24 AM
CaptainAmerica
1st Gear Member

You know, given some of the risks, i wonder if i should just stick to the CAI + Tune. I dont need these kinds of headaches....
Old 01-18-2007, 11:08 AM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2k05gt

The voltage regulator does compensate for this, because the alternator turns at different speeds depending on the engine RPM's. I have not had any issues with the UDP, Some have had power issues when running the shaker 1000 becaue the amps draw a lot of amperage. I have a voltage meter and I charge at 13.2 - 14.5 most of the time.
The regulator will regulate voltage, this is true, but if the alternator is not generating enough "power" (required current at required voltage)during low speed operation, the power will come from the battery. After a while, the battery can get run down. If it's only intermittent traffic, then maybe the alternator (controlled by the regulator, of course) will recharge the battery. If not, and you shut down or stall the car, it may not have enough juice to restart.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CaptainAmerica

OK, this is incredibly helpful, I appreciate it. I livein Seattle so I raraely ues the AC. Even when its hot, I'd rather have the window open. But I do use the windshied wiper blades pretty often. Do you recommend them?

So other than a CAI + Tune andUDP, are there any other "easy" ways to increase RWHP? I dont want to go Super Charger. A friend of mine said get new cams but I dont know how this would help and it sounds pretty complicated and $$. Thanks everyone.
You should look into CMDPs, and maybe some LT headers. The CMDPs areavery easy installthe LTs are one of the harder bolt ons.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:56 AM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CaptainAmerica

You know, given some of the risks, i wonder if i should just stick to the CAI + Tune. I dont need these kinds of headaches....
Off the top of my head, I dont recall reading a single person having large problems with UDPs aloneon a S197. There were some that had problems with them in combination with an electric water pump.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:05 PM
2oo5stang
3rd Gear Member

i've been using UDP's on my mustangs for 7 years now with no problems.