Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic Throttle Response

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 02:42 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Electronic Throttle Response

ORIGINAL: Simon1

ORIGINAL: shaners90lxhatch

Okay...so they are a mustang tuner. I want someone to prove to me that an aftermarket company can adjust the throttle response. I just don't think it can happen
I have purchased two different products from SCT for tuning mustangs and both have helped with the throttle response. If you are at all experienced with buying these products you would know what we are talking about.

I don't know how they do it, I'm not a computer geek. Ford purposely put programing into the new mustang to close the throttle body blade during shifting to save gas and put less wear and tear on parts. MMFF had a good article about it when the S197 first came out. The guys at SCT were able to eliminate this function, giving the driver more control.

Throttle response is not an urban myth.
Are you telling us that you have absolutelyNO throttle lag???????? When I come out of 2nd gear, at very low RPMs, and nail it, all it does is **** me off. Then I go from 2nd to 3rd and Im pissed again. You are telling me that your tune totally got rid of that????? I just dont understand
Old 01-10-2007, 03:10 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

Okay...so they are a mustang tuner. I want someone to prove to me that an aftermarket company can adjust the throttle response. I just don't think it can happen
I have purchased two different products from SCT for tuning mustangs and both have helped with the throttle response. If you are at all experienced with buying these products you would know what we are talking about.

I don't know how they do it, I'm not a computer geek. Ford purposely put programing into the new mustang to close the throttle body blade during shifting to save gas and put less wear and tear on parts. MMFF had a good article about it when the S197 first came out. The guys at SCT were able to eliminate this function, giving the driver more control.

The throttle actually remains open - thats why the RPMs hang a bit. This is otherwise know as dashpot.
There is a difference in the relationship between pedal position and throttle position versus the response time between input (accelerator signal) and output (throttle position signal or throttle angle actual). I refer to the actual response time. The "big brother" effect that allows the throttle to be in a position unrelated to the accelerator IS a desired characteristic and likely can be changed. The actual response time in output from input is what I understand to be unchangable. That's what I want know and what I would like to prove.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:18 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

The throttle actually remains open - thats why the RPMs hang a bit. This is otherwise know as dashpot.
There is a difference in the relationship between pedal position and throttle position versus the response time between input (accelerator signal) and output (throttle position signal or throttle angle actual). I refer to the actual response time. The "big brother" effect that allows the throttle to be in a position unrelated to the accelerator IS a desired characteristic and likely can be changed. The actual response time in output from input is what I understand to be unchangable. That's what I want know and what I would like to prove.
Thank you sooooo much for that explaination, now I understand what I am trying to bitch about. Not necessarily the lag rather than the response, which you CAN NOT change (per my SCT custom programmer and my hubby the Ford tech). Thank for clearing my scramble brains on this subject!!!!!
Old 01-10-2007, 04:42 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

StowesStang - I am no expert but I think that if you try to accelerate quickly in a manual transmission at low RPM, you are going to experience what you are feeling - I get it too. I think it is because the torque, which would be a factor in the response (i.e., push you back in yuour seat), doesn't really kick in until higher RPMs so your car doesn't pull as much. I had a 2006 Mazda MX-5 (Miata) for a few months last year and it "felt" faster than my Mustang. Maybe it was the gear ratio (it was a 6-speed)or torque band or other factor. Hope this helps. (PS - I do not have a tune or CAI so I can't speak to that but I was under the impression that a tune would help or eliminate it from reading posts on this forum) Kind of disappointed to hear it doesn't always fix it. Good luck!
Old 01-10-2007, 05:26 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangster06

StowesStang - I am no expert but I think that if you try to accelerate quickly in a manual transmission at low RPM, you are going to experience what you are feeling - I get it too. I think it is because the torque, which would be a factor in the response (i.e., push you back in yuour seat), doesn't really kick in until higher RPMs so your car doesn't pull as much. I had a 2006 Mazda MX-5 (Miata) for a few months last year and it "felt" faster than my Mustang. Maybe it was the gear ratio (it was a 6-speed)or torque band or other factor. Hope this helps. (PS - I do not have a tune or CAI so I can't speak to that but I was under the impression that a tune would help or eliminate it from reading posts on this forum) Kind of disappointed to hear it doesn't always fix it. Good luck!
Yeah, I think my expectations were higher than they should have been. But, like you said, understanding more specifically what the real issue is sure does help tremendously. Does it change my disappointment, no, but oh well Im tickled to death that I am now riding the "Clue Bus"!!! LOL
Old 01-11-2007, 01:06 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

So I talked to the lead calibrator from Brenspeed last night for about a half an hour. According to him, they have completely reworked the throttle control including getting rid of 90% of the delay. We got pretty technical but he still wouldn't give me details. Proprietary thing. Either way, I am not drawing any conclusions unless I can see the difference myself AND get in contact with factory engineers. The guy sounds smart but even with the consideration of private information couldn't explain to me how he was able to do what he did. I specifically asked him if the system worked at the maximum of it's technical capability or if the delay between input and output was a byproduct of processing information. He kinda beat around the bush. I can't wait to get in touch with my contacts - will keep you informed.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:53 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Yup you are right the tune will help greatly and make her come alive and get all frisky on ya...lol anyway it really helps...so go do it!
Old 01-16-2007, 11:45 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

So I talked to the lead calibrator from Brenspeed last night for about a half an hour. According to him, they have completely reworked the throttle control including getting rid of 90% of the delay. We got pretty technical but he still wouldn't give me details. Proprietary thing. Either way, I am not drawing any conclusions unless I can see the difference myself AND get in contact with factory engineers. The guy sounds smart but even with the consideration of private information couldn't explain to me how he was able to do what he did. I specifically asked him if the system worked at the maximum of it's technical capability or if the delay between input and output was a byproduct of processing information. He kinda beat around the bush. I can't wait to get in touch with my contacts - will keep you informed.
Post here your results/findings.I've got Brenspeeds 93 tune/JLT2 & I had Brent send me a revised tune with a modified dashpot adjustment on the 'delay' setting. It works great below about 2000-2300 RPM but above that I still have a delay when I let off the gas pedal. According to Brent, if he adjusts it too far down, you run the risk of getting a check engine light as the computer tries to force more air into the system. I've gotten no errors with the current modified tune. I'd be interested if they can adjust this a bit more.
The tune from Brenspeed DID completly eliminate any throttle lag while accelerating,big improvement there IMO.
Thanks
aircare
Old 01-17-2007, 12:10 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I had to drive mine to the dealer yesterday morning after removing the CAI and returning it to stock. My wife in the passenger seat even noticed a difference. I guess it's one of those things you have to try to beleive.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:29 PM
luggage

It isn't drive-by-wire that makes it feel laggy. It's the type of drive-by-wire and some purposeful "features" ford put in. I have another drive-by-wire car and it has no lag what-so-ever. It just opens the throttle plate to match the pedal position. The mustang uses a different system where it decides to open the throttle plate a certain amount depending on how much torque you want (pedal position). The delay is either a by-product of that or a feature to prevent the car from running lean briefly if the throttle plate snaps open (i've heard conflicting stories there).

I've noticed that the tune I got from brenspeed did not eliminate this "lag" but did make it much less noticable. The amount of throttle I get DURING the lag is more, but the length of the lag is the same.

It's definately a feature/bug/side-effect of programming. The throttle does responsed instantly, it just won't let you go straight to WOT instantly.

Quick Reply: Electronic Throttle Response