Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 06:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2005/2006/2007 Mustang Water Leaks!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 02:04 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by penguinechef
The customer service reps say for this to be repaired under a recall...everyone needs to call Ford directly at 1-800-392-3673.

They will still say that this is an owner issue...but you need to call to be heard.
Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
P.O.Box 6248
Dearborn, Michigan 48126
1-800-392-3673(FORD)
TDD for the hearing impaired:1-800-232-5952
Monday - Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM local time

Old 02-22-2012, 03:23 PM
davidwa

Originally Posted by 996r916sps
Hi,

I am one of the selected few owners that have noticed a puddle of water or wet area on the passenger side front floor area of my new Mustang. I have been in a couple other forums to find out, that I'm not alone. The problem is the dealers can't seem to fix it on any of the cars that show this problem.

My vehicle was sent to an outside body/trim shop in the Detroit metro area, that specializes in water type leaks. They have not seen it before in a 2005-up Mustang, but have seen it on other Fords in recent years. Here is the fix, this may save you much time and money.

The leak is from a inproperly sealed seam between the A-pillar/bodyside and the cowl/firewall. Some of you may not understand this, but show this email to your local Ford dealer if you experience this problem. My vehicle seam was sealed, but not correctly at the factory. The outside source after removing the passenger side front fender was able to expose the complete problemed area. The dealer had sealed this seam before, but only what they could see of it. To really fix the leak, you must re-seal the entire seam. My vehicle has been fixed, and the carpet pad replaced to avoid any mildue or odors in the future.

This problem has led to electrical gremlins and all sots of problems that become untraceable. Do yourself a favor and watch your interior after a hard rain, your car may be doing it and you don't even know. Watch for moisture on the inside of windows and such. One person whom I spoke with in another forum, could not get his car fixed at the dealer no matter how many times they tried to fix it. He also had one other problem, nobody would take the car in on trade because of the mildue smell and fear of a water damaged vehcile. He can't sell it of trade it in, and has contacted the Better Business Bureau.

I hope this helps!
I solved the problem, open the hood and remove the 2 plastic clips to the air intake on the passenger side, pull the cover off, under the wiper blade, you can now see the cabin air filter, reach down to the right of the air filter all the way to the bottom of the firewall, you will feel a rubber drian, it is plugged, clean it out with your finger, just push the dirt or in my case pine needles through and clean any dirt out of the area, when the hole is plugged the area fills with 2 gallons of water and leaks in through the cabin air filter, just fixed mine after being flooded at the car wash, very easy 5 min job, the driver side is harder, you have to remove both wiper blades to get to it, hope this helps, I spent a week trying to find out what was wrong.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:31 PM
davidwa

when water leaks from under the dash it is the drian plugs located at the bottom of the firewall, they are plugged, take of the 2 clips that hold the cover under the wiper blade off and pull the plastic piece out, now you can see the cabin air filter, reach down to the right of the air filter all the way to the bottom and you will feel a rubber drian plug that is clogged, clean it out and the leak will stop, when plugged the whole area fills with 2-3 gallons of water and leaks into the heater through the cabin air filter, flooding the passsenger side, the driver side is a little harder, you have to remove the wiper blades to get the air intake cover off.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:48 PM
ogmike

Originally Posted by davidwa
when water leaks from under the dash it is the drian plugs located at the bottom of the firewall, they are plugged, take of the 2 clips that hold the cover under the wiper blade off and pull the plastic piece out, now you can see the cabin air filter, reach down to the right of the air filter all the way to the bottom and you will feel a rubber drian plug that is clogged, clean it out and the leak will stop, when plugged the whole area fills with 2-3 gallons of water and leaks into the heater through the cabin air filter, flooding the passsenger side, the driver side is a little harder, you have to remove the wiper blades to get the air intake cover off.
BINGO! That was it! However, on my '07 the wiper was in the way of the cover on the pax side too, but I managed to get around it.

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2012, 02:08 PM
mmdpg
1st Gear Member

You don't have to remove the cowl covers to get to the drains, they are on the fire wall on both the passener and dirvers side. They have a downward facing "valve" that opens to let water out but closes to prevent fumes for the engine compartment from getting up into the A/C intake. You can reach a finger into the bottom of the drain and clean it out, if it's too clogged you can pull the plug off, wash out the cowl and when clean re-install the rubber drain fitting. In the future just clean them out every time you are under the hood.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:14 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 996r916sps
Hi,

I am one of the selected few owners that have noticed a puddle of water or wet area on the passenger side front floor area of my new Mustang. I have been in a couple other forums to find out, that I'm not alone. The problem is the dealers can't seem to fix it on any of the cars that show this problem.

My vehicle was sent to an outside body/trim shop in the Detroit metro area, that specializes in water type leaks. They have not seen it before in a 2005-up Mustang, but have seen it on other Fords in recent years. Here is the fix, this may save you much time and money.

The leak is from a inproperly sealed seam between the A-pillar/bodyside and the cowl/firewall. Some of you may not understand this, but show this email to your local Ford dealer if you experience this problem. My vehicle seam was sealed, but not correctly at the factory. The outside source after removing the passenger side front fender was able to expose the complete problemed area. The dealer had sealed this seam before, but only what they could see of it. To really fix the leak, you must re-seal the entire seam. My vehicle has been fixed, and the carpet pad replaced to avoid any mildue or odors in the future.

This problem has led to electrical gremlins and all sots of problems that become untraceable. Do yourself a favor and watch your interior after a hard rain, your car may be doing it and you don't even know. Watch for moisture on the inside of windows and such. One person whom I spoke with in another forum, could not get his car fixed at the dealer no matter how many times they tried to fix it. He also had one other problem, nobody would take the car in on trade because of the mildue smell and fear of a water damaged vehcile. He can't sell it of trade it in, and has contacted the Better Business Bureau.

I hope this helps!
DON'T FORGET 08 AND 09, THEY ALSO HAVE THE PROBLEM
Old 09-07-2012, 10:32 AM
mmdpg
1st Gear Member

It's the same design on my 2012 V6, most likely the same on 2013's too.