Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Window and Ragtop rattle. Was: coin rattle under windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 12:26 PM
tedBalog
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: coin rattle under windshield?

I told the dealership how insane that clicking noise in my dash made me. They say they can't hear it.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:37 AM
NetComrade

Default The windows and the ragtop still rattle

The dealer claimed they have replaced the fan, but the noise is still kind of there.
I would not have believed them, however, the coin rattle noise is finally gone, which leads me to believe that they actually disassembled (parts of) the dashboard.
They have also fixed the door handle rattle, which was probably just sticking some cushioning on the other side

However
The Driver side windows are still rubbing against each other. Even through the dealer sprayed some WD40 on the rubber (which was the most unprofessional 'fix' by a dealer I could not have expected), the windows are still rubbing against each other, I can hear it as I drive. I ran around and shook the windows on both sides, but I cannot determine what's more loose the little window or the triangle 'rear' window. If I go back to the dealer, they'll just claim "can't hear it", or "can't just throw parts at the car", I need help narrowing it down
The ragtop is making the most annoying chirping sound, besides being very rattly on bumps. I took the roof down today, and have looked at the mechanism of it closing. There is a little wheel at the top of the windshield, to help 'guide' the ragtop closing mechanism. There is also a metal part surrounding it, in my case it was completely loose. I clamped it down, but the noise wasn't gone until it started raining, which confirms my belief that the chirping is somewhere on the ragtop-to-windshield connection. I intend to rubberize it somehow, however, I am concerned about the reasons it's getting loose. Something is misalligned somwhere, in my opinion. I am really not a professional to determine it, but the dealer mechanics probably just don't give a damn. How do I go about this?

P.S.
Still feeling ripped off by the mechanic, especially after I saw the WD40 on the rubbers, which is not dirtying my windows.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:06 PM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: The windows and the ragtop still rattle

I have a scratchy type of rattle which I believe is the top near the windshield. Perfect when the top is down, I've tried several things to stop it like putting some felt in suspicious places to no avail. The latch can be adjusted in all directions by removing theA pillar trim & loosening the three torx screws. There is also an adjustment screw over your head on the top frame that sets the height of the first bow, I found that a nylon piece had falled out that cusioned the end of the screw against the top frame. It is a small white square about 3/8 in square. It was present on the passenger side. I replaced it with a small squareI cut out of a plastic bucket lid with a piece of 3m tape under it. Didn't help my rattle much but its something to check. Is there something that is recomended for lubing the joints in the top frame that could be squeaking.