Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT 5spd + snow = !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: GT 5spd + snow = !!!!!

I've been getting around just fine this winter with four Michelin Pilot Alpine PA2 tires (235/55) on the stock 17" wheels. Of course, I still need to be careful and I break rear traction now and then, but it's nothing unusual for driving in the winter. In my opinion the Mustang GT handles snow reasonably well. If the roads are icy or worse yet ice covered with new snow no car is going to do well.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:27 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: classj

all i know is, regardless of what tires you have (unless they're studded or have chains which are illegal in most us states), the mustang SUCKS if more then 1/2 an inch of snow is on the ground, and noone can dispute that. TCS on, TCS off, this car SUCKS and is almost uncontrollable if any real snow is on the ground.
Clearly a statement by a VERY uninformed individual. Anyone that has a RWD car, and does not put snow tires on it, has no right to complain about snow performance.

You enjoy having your winter wheels eaten by salt, taking your life in your hands in the winter and risking damage,and having to drive around on crappy all season comprimise tires in the summer, be my guest. Better you than me.

A friend with a 99 stang always complained every winter about the car being a pig in the snow. I kept telling him to get snows and throw a little weight in the trunk. Finally he did that, the car was perfect in the snow.
uhhh did you not read my post? i DID put snow tires on it, this car just sucks. whether you can learn to drive it in the snow or not is irrelevant. compared to 4x4s and FWD cars, RWD cars, especially sport cars, will ALWAYS suck in the snow, period. i don't know how anyone can debate that. maybe more fun to drive (sometimes), but not as good of handling. period.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:29 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: feejay
Dude, you're just plain wrong. I live in the "big city" of Buffalo NY where we have the occasional bit of snow. "Driving in the snow" here means anywhere from a dusting on the roads to hard packed snow mixed with sand all the way up to several unplowed inches. I'm not sure what utopia you speak of, but I can assure you we dont have plows out 24/7.

All I was saying was that the Blizzaks level the playing field between our Mustangs and other cars on the road. I have a stock V6 5 speed, no TCS, no ABS, and with the snow tires my car handles predictably and safely in any weather. Of course that also means my driving style is appropriate for the weather, not like the guy on here who was surprised he spun out on a snowy highway on-ramp doing 60mph or the guy who tried a lane change across a snowy interstate at 85mph.
sure, you can modify your driving style, or learn to drive better in the snow, etc., but i can't stand the fact that RWD sport cars suck in the snow, even with snow tires. you would think that with all the technology that we have, someone could make a RWD sports car (especially one as heavy as the mustang) that could handle like a FWD or 4x4 vehicle in the snow...
Old 02-08-2007, 03:17 PM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

Its even worse trying to drive my fox in Michigan winters. I would LOVE to be in a S197
Old 02-08-2007, 03:36 PM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

Milwaukee, WI here. GT with a 5 Spd. We've had the same snow you guys have had and I haven't had any problems. And I'm still running my stock Pirelli P-Zeros. But then again, I've seen how you flatlanders generally drive. You have trouble staying on the road in the middle of August!

Old 02-08-2007, 04:19 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

my v6 is like that when we have even 1cm of snow!
Old 02-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Centurion96
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: imyy4u

uhhh did you not read my post? i DID put snow tires on it, this car just sucks. whether you can learn to drive it in the snow or not is irrelevant. compared to 4x4s and FWD cars, RWD cars, especially sport cars, will ALWAYS suck in the snow, period. i don't know how anyone can debate that. maybe more fun to drive (sometimes), but not as good of handling. period.
Everything above is partially true. If your conclusions are based on driving your Mustang around with only snow tires on the rear axle then understand you made the driving characteristics of your car worse and not better. If you only can afford 2 snow tires put them up front. Snow tires in the rear only allows you the advantage of moving in snowy conditions, like the FWD and the 4X4. With all these vehicles operating with summer tires the 4X4, the FWD will have an advantage in being able to move in snowy conditions, but just like your Mustang all these other vehicles only have 4 wheeled brakes. None of these vehicles are going to stop any better than the next one unless they have snow tires up front. Snow tires in the front give you an advantage in steering and stopping. By putting snow tires only on the rear, you've turned your Mustang into a projectile. You've increased your ability to go but you have done nothing to increase your ability to stop or steer. There is a myth that 4X4s are better in snow and a whole lot of people who own these vehicles are rudely awakened when they discover that once they easily start moving they cannot stop or steer any better than a 2X4 car. So instead of sliding down the street in a 4000 lb. missle they are sliding in a 6000 lb. missle.

Either put another pair of snow tires up front or rotate your snow tires to the front and it wouldn't hurt to add a few pounds over the rear axle. The only advantage to FWD is that there is added weight over the drive wheels, AKA its motor.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:33 PM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

Damn! One can only wonder how those poor state troopers are able to make it around in those high performance Crown Vic's they drive.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tracedaddy
Damn! One can only wonder how those poor state troopers are able to make it around in those high performance Crown Vic's they drive.
It couldn't be the driver and not the car, could it? Naaaaaah!

I've made it to work with my Marauder in conditions that had FWD and AWD cars off the road and in ditches, and that is without having snow tires. Does that mean my Marauder is better in the snow than those cars? I doubt it. Frankly, I'm a little tired of all the "My mustang sucks in the snow" threads. It's always somebody or something else that is at fault, never ourselves.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:53 PM
bighoodci

whos the idiot that sold you two snow tires? You must be an old schooler. Do you want to steer and brake. then get 4 of them. I have the same snow tires, $ of them and my car has been wonderful here so far.