Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel removal / replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 02:47 PM
titanjcGT

Default Steering wheel removal / replacement?

There is only one option that I wish I had on my car: the Sport Appearance Package with the leather steering wheel w/ aluminum trim. I just have the base black steering wheel and shift ****. The shift **** is easy enough to replace, can find the leather ones on Ebay for $20. Now, leather steering wheels are on Ebay as well, but I was curious as to how difficult it would be to remove the airbag and steering wheel from my car, and then replace it? Is that something I would have the dealer do, or could I do it myself? If it's something that's going to end up costing me a grip, I'd rather just order the aluminum trim kit for the wheel for $100, and live without the leather wrap.

Any ideas?
Old 03-28-2007, 03:42 PM
titanjcGT

Default RE: Steering wheel removal / replacement?

I searched around and found a link to the airbag depower / repower and also for airbag and steering wheel removal. Doesn't look difficult at all!
Old 03-28-2007, 05:19 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

i ordered my car with that steering wheel, but i was looking at the GT 500 wheel to put it in, looks nice. can you post the link that u found about the airbag?
Old 03-28-2007, 07:31 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

B4 I bought mine I was considering not getting the upgraded interior. I searched on Ebay, as you have, and found a guy who was selling some upgraded steering wheels. I asked him how to do it and he said it was very easy. I'd say go for it! I'll see if I still have those emails. . .

revised: yep, sure enough it was still in my inbox. here you go!

All you need is a flathead screwdriver, a 7 mm socket/rachet, and 23 mm socket (I think, I used a 1 inch, it was too big, but worked).

Be sure steering wheel is straight and front wheels are straight. This will help to insure proper allingnment when re-install new wheel.

First you will need to remove the airbag fuse in the kick panel of the passenger side. I think it's number 12 (check manual), it's 10amp. Turn your key to the on position to make sure the airbag light stays on for more than 30 seconds signifying you have deactivated it.

Pop the plugs out of the left and right sides of your steering wheel. Doing this will reveal the 7mm screws that hold the Airbag in.

Remove the two screws with the 7mm socket.

Pull out on the airbag, horn may honk if you haven't disconnected the battery so be prepared. Once you get the airbag out of wheel, you need to disconnect 2 air bag connectors, one yellow and the other black or gray, simply squeeze the sides and they will come out.

Set the airbag to the side with the Mustang emblem pointing up in case it should open for some freak reason.

You will notice a black plug on the top of the wheel above the steering wheel nut. Unplug it.

The big nut in the middle (not the one behind the wheel, j/k) is the one you need to remove. I used a 1 inch socket, I believe it is 22 or 23 mm.

Once removed, pull steering wheel off and reverse directions to reinstall.

I love my leather wheel, I got here on ebay for $60.

Hope the instructions help

Harold