Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise level?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 02:38 AM
bboren
2nd Gear Member

Default Noise level?

alright, well i dont wanna get into too much trouble with the cops or neighbors around here when i get my h pipe. so im just wondering when i put my hpipe on, if its too loud with my motoblue rs mufflers, will it sound alright if i put the stock mufflers back on?
Old 04-06-2007, 02:55 AM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Noise level?

If it's the off-road h-pipe, i've heard of several people using the stock mufflers with it. I haven't heard it in person but i hear it sounds good. The off-road h-pipe and corsas is a VERY loud combination and I usually have to be careful when taking off from a stop if i notice a cop is near...it will probably be a little louder with your motoblues.

If it's too loud for you...stock mufflers probably sound good with the o/r h. Some day, i may switch out the mufflers just to see for myself.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:03 AM
bboren
2nd Gear Member

it is an o/r h pipe. my motoblues have a tiny bit of muffler to them, so i think they will sound better than slps with the o/r h and maybe a little quieter. i dont think the cops here care that much as every camaro/trans am/and cobra i see sounds incredibly loud. im a little more worried about my parents getting pissed at me. if the stockers dont sound good with it though, i might try another axleback with a muffler to it.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:11 AM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

The time that may annoy your parents is when you first start up when the car is cold. The idle rpms hover around 1500 for a few seconds and then goes down to around 600-700. During the time it's idling high, it'll be very loud. The first time i started my car after the o/r h, it was on jack stands still and ice cold. It sounded like i was running open headers it was so loud and evil sounding. On the ground, it's not so bad. Starting it up in the mornings in my garage at my apt is incredibly loud due to the echo. I feel like everyone within a 500ft radius probably hears it but it's actually probably not that bad from outside the garage.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:19 AM
bboren
2nd Gear Member

alright, the garage is pretty close to my parents bedroom, so my car already wakes my mom up, so whats a little more noise right? haha. its starting to get 80s-90s everyday now, so it shouldnt start up extremely cold anymore. does anyone know if its illegal to not have cats in texas?
Old 04-06-2007, 03:27 AM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

It's illegal to modify the emissions system in any way in those counties that do emissions testing. Removing the cats (off-road pipe) is included in this restriction. My car did not throw codes after removing the cats so it's running clean enough for the o2 sensors to not find a problem. During emissions testing, since it's a new car, they'll hook up something to the car's computer and scan everything. As long as no problems are found, they usually leave it at that. If the place is strict or notices the car is a lot louder than normal, they'll rarely look under the car for cats but from what i hear, this doesn't happen often. I have a friend who has gone through 3 inspections at different places (not "a guy" he knows) and has passed with an off-road x-pipe. If it does fail, you have 15 days to put the stocker back on and go back to the place.

When i say a cold car, i don't mean cold from temperatures outside but cold as it pertains to a car. It's been 60s-70s here lately but the car is "cold" in the morning.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:35 AM
bboren
2nd Gear Member

yea, mine does idle high from being "cold" just from overnight, but whenever its cold outside, it seems to idle even higher, i guess to warn the engine up faster, and it is louder. is emissions testing required in those counties, or is it just if a cop pulls you over and desides your car needs to be tested? ive never even heard of emissions testing here
Old 04-06-2007, 03:48 AM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

Certain counties require emissions testing along with the yearly inspections for the cars. If you've never heard of it, you may live in a county that doesn't require it. You can find a list of Texas counties online who do emissions testing.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:04 AM
bboren
2nd Gear Member

i just looked, my county wasnt listed, sweet!