Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stroker engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 04:02 PM
jcw
1st Gear Member

Default stroker engines

has anyone built a stroker engine for their car? look into building a dedicated big boost stroker 3v for my car looking for other peoples thoughs and opinions. im planning to gather the parts over this summer and asssemble it next winter to get it all ready for next year
Old 04-25-2007, 05:43 PM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

Default RE: stroker engines

The shop i go to just recently did a s-197 stroker. Its sick. Guy is running 22 lbs with a vortech and still has room for more. Definantly the route i would go if i had the cash. Id stroke it, throw a nice big turbo on there, and call it a day, lol. But seriously the car is sick.....alooooota work though so goodluck.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:57 PM
jcw
1st Gear Member

this is what im thinking right now but i would like some opinions
block-stock 4.6 block bored, align honed, decked,oringed, antifriction coated
maincaps - stock with stud girlde and arp studs
crankshaft - livernois forged crank , antifriction coated
rods-livernois billet rods antifriction coated
pistons -Mahle pistons, skirts friction coated, crown heat coated
heads-livernois stag 3 heads combustion chanber,exhaust port and valve faces heat coated, oringed
arp head studs
camshafts -comp cams blower cams
upgraded valve springs, retainers and locks
finally either a big procharger or a twin turbo setup mid 20 psi of boost it could be a nasty setup but i want some opinions and feed back
Old 04-25-2007, 06:21 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

wha wha wha whaaaaaat? Man I wish I knew about cars.....[&o]

ORIGINAL: jcw

heads-livernois stag 3 heads combustion chanber,exhaust port and valve faces heat coated, oringed
arp head studs
finally either a big procharger or a twin turbo setup mid 20 psi of boost it could be a nasty setup but i want some opinions and feed back

Old 04-25-2007, 06:40 PM
jcw
1st Gear Member

im thinking of running copper head gaskets in the motor they help provide a better seal when combined with cutting matching receier grooves in the cylinder head and block. this is done in applications where there are high amounts of cylinder pressure. you run a sized copper wire into the groove improving cylinder seal. i also feal like running pretty much the full selection of antifriction, thermal barrier, and none stick coatings throughout the motor. nonstick coatings reduce windage loss when applied to the crankshaft and the rotating assembly because their is less oil stuck and it results in a more consistant and lighter rotating assembly. thermal barriers are designed to keep heat from soaking, helping to lower thermal breakdown of the oil and lower cooling temps. it will also help increase the theraml effiency of the motor by keeping heat where it belongs. in the cylinders
Old 04-25-2007, 07:10 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: ohsixgt1217

The shop i go to just recently did a s-197 stroker. Its sick. Guy is running 22 lbs with a vortech and still has room for more. Definantly the route i would go if i had the cash. Id stroke it, throw a nice big turbo on there, and call it a day, lol. But seriously the car is sick.....alooooota work though so goodluck.

This is the same route I am going in a couple of months! Its costly and once you put the stroker in there and turn up boost,then you go other things that will need to be done. So yea know what your getting into before you do it. It will cost big money (more than likely 15+k)
Old 04-25-2007, 07:14 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

arp head studs

thats great and all, but be ready to put in a new tranny, clutch/flywheel, suspension upgrades, bigger brakes to stop that thing , this is just a few things. So big money than just the engine. 15k in engine work, 5-7k in tranny,suspension 3-4k, bigger brakes 2k. Your looking at 30k with labor and tuning, unless you can do this yourself. Trust me I know I am in the middle of doing all this!
Old 04-25-2007, 07:43 PM
jcw
1st Gear Member

car already has almost a complete bmr suspension package in it. different gears and axles in the rearend. planning a t56 6speed swap at the same time as the engine swap. brakes arent that important. i learned how to go fast on old school tech so this car already stops better than nearly anything ive learned to go fast with. brakes can be done later.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:25 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

HorsepowerTV is doing this in a 2 part series that started last week. I believe its an '06 GT. They dropped the engine and rebuilt it with about everything you said. Next week they will reinstall and test it.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:33 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

car already has almost a complete bmr suspension package in it. different gears and axles in the rearend. planning a t56 6speed swap at the same time as the engine swap. brakes arent that important. i learned how to go fast on old school tech so this car already stops better than nearly anything ive learned to go fast with. brakes can be done later.

Depending on the Hp you want you may want to go with an Auto, you get to a point where you have to much hp and need a auto

Quick Reply: stroker engines