Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cams

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 12:39 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Cams

I'll keep my opinion of BBR cams to myself as what is done is done. List your mods, CAI, exhaust etc. That will help see what is going on here. Leave that T/B on the shelf.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Fireguy28
2nd Gear Member

Haha.....I'm just messing with ya from when i got my first CEL.......i seem to remember you saying the samething...LoL Hope you get that lag fixed........We need to do a lil racing.............
Old 04-28-2007, 11:20 PM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

Mods are: 4:10s, C&L street CAI, Bassani SS Racing axle backs w/ factory H-pipe, BBR stage 1 cams and various suspension mods, motor mounts and cosmetics. Waiting to be installed: 3" aluminum driveshaft, BBK throttle body, LCAs and delete plates.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:40 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Well I would recommend you get some longtubes and have it retuned and that will probably solve your problem.

-Jeff
Old 04-29-2007, 12:38 AM
Vista_Blue_GT
2nd Gear Member

is you car an auto or a manual?
Old 04-29-2007, 01:09 AM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

That curve seems very steep at the beginning, thats really odd. Im not sure what the reason for your lack of low end power is, sorry... but I would advise against the throttle body. Lots of people, if not most everyone, that has tried an aftermarket TB or spacer has had trouble with it. It really isnt worth it, just return it and keep your money. And I doubt that the delete plates are your problem, yes they do move the power a little higher into the range, but you shouldnt see much of a tq loss down low, maybe ~10 or so, but nothing like youre experiencing.
My tuner said the delete plates and/or throttle body was the biggest PIA unless you go with a supercharger. He's had more returns and CELs with those two mods. Just my two cents...

John
Old 04-29-2007, 01:40 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jwgroovin

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

That curve seems very steep at the beginning, thats really odd. Im not sure what the reason for your lack of low end power is, sorry... but I would advise against the throttle body. Lots of people, if not most everyone, that has tried an aftermarket TB or spacer has had trouble with it. It really isnt worth it, just return it and keep your money. And I doubt that the delete plates are your problem, yes they do move the power a little higher into the range, but you shouldnt see much of a tq loss down low, maybe ~10 or so, but nothing like youre experiencing.
My tuner said the delete plates and/or throttle body was the biggest PIA unless you go with a supercharger. He's had more returns and CELs with those two mods. Just my two cents...

John
I would agree. The T/B is a total waste of time and a major source of headaches. As for the delete plates, you will get a lot of differing opinions. My reasoning for not doing them is because of the fact that headers and the cams typically cost you some torqueon the bottom end of the rpm range and the delete plates will only increase the bottom end loss. The plates are there to improve low end torque. I would say that you need to look at how much timing they have in your tune in the lower rpm band.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:14 AM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

I had the exact same problem with my cams. It has since been retuned - I don't completely remeber how they fixed it, but it has to do with adjusting the cam timing (using the tuner, not a mechanical adjustment).

Also, I would invest in a set of long tubes simply because you're not getting the full benefit of the cams without them.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:05 PM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

Thanks for all the advise. Sucks that I already bought all the other stuff and now I need to add to the tally and get the headers.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:13 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

BBR Cams? Aren't those reground stockers?
The reputation of BBR says it all.
Throttle body is another waste of money. No gains there, only problems.
So you spend all this money for aftermarket cams and throttle body and you car runs like doo-doo.
Cams are a waste on these three valve motors........ the cost is too high for minimal gains. Many people have drivability problemsafter they install them, and they totally affect the power curve that the motor has.
I find it funny thatthese young guysput cams in these motors because they like the sound they give the car at idle. Cams are supposed to beinstalled to increase valve lift, and that can increase power. If you are pushing 20 lbs of boost then maybe you would benefit from a .620 lift cam but even then the car will lose drivability.
Total waste of money.......

Quick Reply: Cams