Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cams

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 11:40 PM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Cams

I don't think they were a waste of money. They DID increse my power considering the only power mods I have are the cams and a CAI with tune and it pushes over 300rwhp. I do like the sound but that is not the reason I installed them. I installed them because I am going F/I and stroked. Thanks for the compliment "these young guys". [sm=chairshot.gif]
Old 04-30-2007, 01:30 AM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DeStonn

I don't think they were a waste of money. They DID increse my power considering the only power mods I have are the cams and a CAI with tune and it pushes over 300rwhp. I do like the sound but that is not the reason I installed them. I installed them because I am going F/I and stroked. Thanks for the compliment "these young guys". [sm=chairshot.gif]
Gawd, I turn 50 this year, and I'm racing my 20 year old son. Life couldn't be better...

John
Old 04-30-2007, 03:51 AM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zkiller

Cams are a waste on these three valve motors........ the cost is too high for minimal gains. Many people have drivability problemsafter they install them, and they totally affect the power curve that the motor has...Total waste of money.......
If done properly, cams are a great addition. I gained over 30rwhp and about 25 lb-ft of torque just changing the cams (I already had the exhaust, CAI, etc). With everything we're learning about cam timing, the next tune-up should yield an additional 10 hp and 5-10 lbs of torque.

Yes, they affect the power curve - that's the whole idea isn't it? I have a seriously lopey idle, yet I have absolutely no drivability issues - as soon as I come off idle, the engine runs as smooth as a stocker.It's important to get the combo right: just throwing cams in won't get you the gains you expect. You have to do the exhaust, CAI, gear, and most importantly a tune-up on the dyno.

If someone is telling you these 3v engines don't respond well to cams or result in major drivability issues, then they either don't know what they're talking about, or don't know how to do it right (ignorance either way).

You also mentioned 0.620 lift and 20 psi - are you insane? First of all, I don't know that they even make a cam that large for the 3v or if you wouldn't run into valve clearance issues.

Bang for the buck, you can't beat a supercharger, but there's something very cool about having a well thought out and well tuned NA engine.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:31 AM
stangoil
2nd Gear Member

i did the comp cams and gained nothing no hp or torque gain and yesthey are the comp cam made for superchargers we have dyno 3 times and no power gain waste time and cash

[IMG]local://upfiles/52448/4BD0A23C78CB4AC99DA56D2F4053D565.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-30-2007, 07:21 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangoil

i did the comp cams and gained nothing no hp or torque gain and yesthey are the comp cam made for superchargers we have dyno 3 times and no power gain waste time and cash

Stage 1, 2 or 3? A number of us here are on the Stage 3 bandwagon...

John
Old 04-30-2007, 09:14 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

N/A newby chiming in here. . . we've all gotta start somewhere. if we whippersnappers think cams will do the trick, some crumudgeon [however correct] is going to do nothing to lead us away from that [and the crumudgeon may justifiably laugh if the engine blows].

from what i've read in this fantastic info age, the only way i can get to 350 N/A rwhp is CAMS [aside from a new motor]. period. if it's good enough for Brenspeed, it's good enough for me. so that's what i'll eventually do. and even though a supercharger is the cheapest dollar for dollar, it's a one-time-deal! it's in or it's not in. i don't have 5 grand for the S/C and install and tuning and all that. . . but i've got a few hundred here and a few thousand there to beef up what i've got every now and then. . .and i'd rather do that than drive my stock stang for eternity and save up 5 grand [not gonna happen].

but that's just me!!!
Old 04-30-2007, 09:49 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

You didn't do any research there bud. it's 100% your fault you bought the safe cams
ORIGINAL: stangoil

Old 04-30-2007, 09:59 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

seriously? man, way to bust my hopes on installing cams on my car... i was considering the stage 3 comp cams. waste of time? so far, many people (excluding Destonn) have loved their cams on the car... definetly get hp out of the aftermarket cams....
Old 04-30-2007, 11:03 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: billyjo

the delete plates is your problem, they affect the low rpms and rob your power. if you dont do highway and such and drag and want top end then add them if not they will hidder you, i suggest putting back the plates.
Erm delete plates dont really loose your low end, I gained around 2-8hp and 3-9tq thru the whole rpm band 1.5k-6.3k

Andrew
Old 04-30-2007, 11:10 PM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tonkpils555666sas

seriously? man, way to bust my hopes on installing cams on my car... i was considering the stage 3 comp cams. waste of time? so far, many people (excluding Destonn) have loved their cams on the car... definetly get hp out of the aftermarket cams....
Don't get me wrong I LOVE my cams I was just wondering what I could do to get over the laggy feel. Was also asking because I wanted to know if it was my tuner or if I needed other mods to help the cams out.

I just think it is the brand of cams because my tuner is AWESOME (Adamfrom STMotorsports) I might have to break down and get the Comp stage 3 cams.

Quick Reply: Cams