Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-badging

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 02:45 PM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Re-badging

Ground Hog Day......................
Old 05-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Lees07GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

Personally, I think there's going to be one heck of an aftermarket in trying to restore all of our Mustangs back to original condition in 20 years!!! They'll be selling factory air intakes for $500!
Good point. Everyone modding their cars really should hold on to all the original stuff for possible future re-use.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:55 PM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lees07GT

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

Personally, I think there's going to be one heck of an aftermarket in trying to restore all of our Mustangs back to original condition in 20 years!!! They'll be selling factory air intakes for $500!
Good point. Everyone modding their cars really should hold on to all the original stuff for possible future re-use.
+1
Old 05-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

Rice!
Old 05-06-2007, 03:10 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

My opinion on your question Ron, is, as long as the cloning is a "look" and no misrepresentation takes place, i.e. making an S197 look like a Mach 1(like with all the goodies that CDC offers), but doesn't have" Mach 1" plastered anywhere, then, I feel that's acceptable IMO. Making a GT with all the badging and such out of a V-6 car(S197 and otherwise, I actually see more New Edges abuse this) without swapping out the engine(for something more appropriate), than, I feel that's bogus and isn't Kosher IMO.
I realize in the vintage Muscle Car world, cloning, tribute and "re-creation" cars are a way to make big dollars by converting 6 cylinder and small V-8 cars into their more glamorous, desirable and powerful big block cousins, it seems as long as it's stated as such, no harm, no foul.
I think our S197s are too new to take such drastic measures, since many vintage big block cars aren't available anymore and cloning is the only way to go for someone that wants to drive an expensive muscle car without fear of damaging a 6+ figure car.
Making a GT500 look-a-like(like some pictures listed here from certain dealerships across this great land) out of a V-6 or GTis absurd. I realize a GT500 nose is very sexy, and many members here have done such conversions, but they haven't badged their steeds as a GT500, showing good taste IMO.
Again, nothing wrong in doing that, just don't start making a car that isn't what it claims to be. Just my 2 cents
Old 05-06-2007, 03:16 PM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05gtdriver

My opinion on your question Ron, is, as long as the cloning is a "look" and no misrepresentation takes place, i.e. making an S197 look like a Mach 1(like with all the goodies that CDC offers), but doesn't have" Mach 1" plastered anywhere, then, I feel that's acceptable IMO. Making a GT with all the badging and such out of a V-6 car(S197 and otherwise, I actually see more New Edges abuse this) without swapping out the engine(for something more appropriate), than, I feel that's bogus and isn't Kosher IMO.
I realize in the vintage Muscle Car world, cloning, tribute and "re-creation" cars are a way to make big dollars by converting 6 cylinder and small V-8 cars into their more glamorous, desirable and powerful big block cousins, it seems as long as it's stated as such, no harm, no foul.
I think our S197s are too new to take such drastic measures, since many vintage big block cars aren't available anymore and cloning is the only way to go for someone that wants to drive an expensive muscle car without fear of damaging a 6+ figure car.
Making a GT500 look-a-like(like some pictures listed here from certain dealerships across this great land) out of a V-6 or GTis absurd. I realize a GT500 nose is very sexy, and many members here have done such conversions, but they haven't badged their steeds as a GT500, showing good taste IMO.
Again, nothing wrong in doing that, just don't start making a car that isn't what it claims to be. Just my 2 cents
+1
Old 05-06-2007, 03:29 PM
Foose12
2nd Gear Member

My take.........do whatever you want to do with your car, it's YOUR CAR. But 9 times out of 10 your not going to fool a fellow mustang fan/owner. So be prepared for a lot of critism!!!
Old 05-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Let mequote the Isley Brothers....." It's your thing do what you wanna do"
Old 05-06-2007, 03:54 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Just say no to....
clones
tributes
re-badging of any kind from other SEs
creating pretend mustang versions (i.e; GT350, GT300???)
Anything to do with Eleanor or Gone with Sixty Seconds

If you want a Mach1 or Shelby, then buy a real one.

Do you see guys with Vettes doing that crap?

Old 05-06-2007, 04:11 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

I think so long as it is tastefully done, it is ok. That is to say, emulating the general style of a car with features that are exclusive to that car or identifying styling is fine. Badging that car as such however, IMO is a no no. For example, I have always loved the Boss 429's and the Shelby 1966 GT350 R models used in racing back in the day. So in my build, I am planning on borrowing a couple of styling cues from each of them. I do even like some of the striping used... the C style stripes that were on the Boss, the Shelby stripes. However, the stripes that proclaim "Boss" or the snake badges that Shelby uses, those are going a bit far IMO. Mine is not a Boss 429 nor is it a Shelby GT 350 R, and anything procliming it to be such just is just dirty pool.

Now on an older car, I think its a bit of a different situation. Might be hippocritical of me to say, but so long as your calling it a clone, I think it's ok. For example.. a 68 Camaro that started life as a 6 banger, but now is powered by a V8 and looks like a Z-28 or an SS, so long as it is portayed as a clone, is fine.

If its a car that never could have existed (for example, a 1980 Chevy Mailbu badged as an SS), I think its a matter of taste. If its done nicely, thats fine. If it looks like crap or is tacky... well, nuff said I think.

Quick Reply: Re-badging