Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-badging

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 05:52 PM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Re-badging

ORIGINAL: rmays06

ORIGINAL: 01SilverGT

WTF is re-badging? Not sure what it is, but I would take off my GT emblem and put something else like a "281" or a "pony". But I wouldnt ever put a "cobra" one or something I'm not.
Looks like you answered your own question. SO why is a pony ok on a GT? Is your GT a true PONY?
I replaced my side badges and faux gas cap with Pony emblems oppsed to the GT ones. Why? Becuase I like them. Do I care what anyone thinks? Not really.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47929/F464A76B86D844A7AFB523962B670516.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-06-2007, 06:07 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tdbrown75

I replaced my side badges and faux gas cap with Pony emblems oppsed to the GT ones. Why? Becuase I like them. Do I care what anyone thinks? Not really.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47929/F464A76B86D844A7AFB523962B670516.jpg[/IMG]
That's funny, when I bought my first S197 GT(March 2005), it incorrectly had the "pony tri-bar" rear faux gas cap from the factory. Dealer calls me one day to tell me that my "GT" rear cap had arrived and when could I schedule an appointment to have them install it? I didn't even know there was a difference at that point in time! Well the '06 GT I have now has all the correct trim items......that I know of
Besides, the pony & tri-bar are symbolic of ANY Mustang regardless of trim level, model specific or specialty model, if the S197 V-6 had a "V-6" badge or for the pony package cars a different type of pony badge, then I couldn't see a non-V-6 car wearing these specific items.........
Old 05-06-2007, 09:23 PM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

Like one stated; Hey it's your car do with it what you please!
But PLEASE don't try and make aprofile off someone by deception! That would beWRONG!!

Isn't there a quote somewhere stating something about, the ultimate form of flattery is imitation!

Now that being said,

We are in the middle of converting our ‘06 convertible GT into a Saleen S/C Mustang. Somewhere on the car it will say "clone" for respect towards actual Saleen owners. But the local dealer would NOT order a convertible Saleen S/Cfor us AND they would not budge off the $76,000 asking price for a 2006435hp Saleen S/C coupe. Nothing special about this car, I think MSRP was $56,000 or so. (NOT to be taken as it wasn't a very nice car as it was,but it wasn't worth that kind of money to me!)I considered buying a non S/C and swapping my Saleen S/C w/ JDM stage 2 tune from our GT to this car but is was STILL a coupe and still NOT a true S/C Saleen so what wouldwe gain? Believe me Ihave given this very much thought as we havesat on this body kit for almost a year before taking the initiative to put it on. Goal is the end of May first of June to complete the external changes, next winter forseats and a few other things. I will NOT be changing the dash as I feel the200 mph speedo is a complete waist even though I really like the looks! With the suspension and engine changes our GT received last summer is closer to a Saleen S/C then it is a GT before the body kit is even added.
Call me a poser or whatever, (I really couldn't care less)but for you to call me that you’ll have to do it after I stop because unless you driving a Saleen 'E'(or any other turbo orblown NON stock Mustang)chances are verygood you're not going tokeepup with our 'CLONE'! Finally even though it WASN’T my main objective, complete with big brakes and all, once it is all said and done we’ll have right at 45K into a car that performs as well or better then most any factory or specialty Mustang no matter what badges it’s sporting cloned or not! Do I expect EVERYONE to like it? NOPE! Will that bother me, sorry but nope!

LOL now if some of you don’t like what we are doing to our GT vert, you are really NOT going to like what we have planned for the V6 vert……

Lastly to try and smooth some feathers that might have gotten ruffled; I would like to make it clear: We don’t plan to EVER sale either car! So there will be NO profit incentive for us in doing these changes. Just the enjoyment of driving a nice car that we are proud of and that performs better then it did when it left the factory!

(I hope I don’t fall as I get down from this soap box…)
Old 05-07-2007, 01:58 AM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05gtdriver

My opinion on your question Ron, is, as long as the cloning is a "look" and no misrepresentation takes place, i.e. making an S197 look like a Mach 1(like with all the goodies that CDC offers), but doesn't have" Mach 1" plastered anywhere, then, I feel that's acceptable IMO. Making a GT with all the badging and such out of a V-6 car(S197 and otherwise, I actually see more New Edges abuse this) without swapping out the engine(for something more appropriate), than, I feel that's bogus and isn't Kosher IMO.
I realize in the vintage Muscle Car world, cloning, tribute and "re-creation" cars are a way to make big dollars by converting 6 cylinder and small V-8 cars into their more glamorous, desirable and powerful big block cousins, it seems as long as it's stated as such, no harm, no foul.
I think our S197s are too new to take such drastic measures, since many vintage big block cars aren't available anymore and cloning is the only way to go for someone that wants to drive an expensive muscle car without fear of damaging a 6+ figure car.
Making a GT500 look-a-like(like some pictures listed here from certain dealerships across this great land) out of a V-6 or GTis absurd. I realize a GT500 nose is very sexy, and many members here have done such conversions, but they haven't badged their steeds as a GT500, showing good taste IMO.
Again, nothing wrong in doing that, just don't start making a car that isn't what it claims to be. Just my 2 cents
Great post!

Really all I'm looking for debat here! I think there is alot of hipocarcy thou, most of the rebadging talk I hear is because of misrepresenting something its not, so why is it fine for a GT or other style of Mustang to place a pony emblem on the car when it is an "ACTUAL" model for the S197....just debate don't kill me!

One more bit of food for thought, what are your thoughts on V6's putting on GT take off parts on the car and now I see lots of GT's placing the NEW V6 spoiler on the car....thoughts
Old 05-07-2007, 02:15 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Great post!

Really all I'm looking for debat here! I think there is alot of hipocarcy thou, most of the rebadging talk I hear is because of misrepresenting something its not, so why is it fine for a GT or other style of Mustang to place a pony emblem on the car when it is an "ACTUAL" model for the S197....just debate don't kill me!

One more bit of food for thought, what are your thoughts on V6's putting on GT take off parts on the car and now I see lots of GT's placing the NEW V6 spoiler on the car....thoughts
The factory 18" Bullitts wheels and steering wheel hubon my '06 GThave the pony/tri-bar logo on them, so I see that logo as something Ford intends to mean "Mustang", retrofitting them to the fenders and butt of a GT is something that doesn't "misrepresent" it as a GT or as a Mustang IMO. Putting GT logos on a V-6 is misrepresenting because the GT is a model with a V-8 engine(from the factory), again IMO but that speaks for itself.
On the takeoff parts, fine with me as long as GT doesn't appear on any non-GT cars flanks, I realize some people have a problem with that, but as long as the car isn't badged as such, then it's all just a styling choice IMO
Btw Ron, your ride looks sweet with the 18 inchers.......
Old 05-07-2007, 03:57 AM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05gtdriver

Great post!

The factory 18" Bullitts wheels and steering wheel hubon my '06 GThave the pony/tri-bar logo on them, so I see that logo as something Ford intends to mean "Mustang", retrofitting them to the fenders and butt of a GT is something that doesn't "misrepresent" it as a GT or as a Mustang IMO. Putting GT logos on a V-6 is misrepresenting because the GT is a model with a V-8 engine(from the factory), again IMO but that speaks for itself.
On the takeoff parts, fine with me as long as GT doesn't appear on any non-GT cars flanks, I realize some people have a problem with that, but as long as the car isn't badged as such, then it's all just a styling choice IMO
Btw Ron, your ride looks sweet with the 18 inchers.......
Thanks man, I think it came together nice but I still want to do something to it not sure yet!
I like this talk its not bad, clean and productive. I just wanted to know why there is such venom (pun) in some clones here....
Old 05-07-2007, 09:44 AM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

+1

I replaced my GT with a vintage looking badge that simply says 4.6 SOHC HP (High Performance). Not going the poser route!!

ORIGINAL: 01SilverGT

WTF is re-badging? Not sure what it is, but I would take off my GT emblem and put something else like a "281" or a "pony". But I wouldnt ever put a "cobra" one or something I'm not.
[IMG]local://upfiles/21355/8245D64151354EC2824A65826470534E.jpg[/IMG]