Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

modding an Auto

Old 05-11-2007, 03:59 AM
pxdig
2nd Gear Member

Default modding an Auto

So, I went to AMP (all mustang performance) a totally kick **** shop specializing in mustangs.

I got smart on CAI, tunes, and maybe gears for my 05. However, it seems that all of these mods would only make it as fast as a manual.

Should one bother to mod an auto or simply trade it in for a manual ?? I mean is it a waste of time and money since you can only get as fast as the other stangs come stock ?

[IMG]local://upfiles/51953/92217BC55E7F44C593FA74C8160E02A4.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-11-2007, 04:11 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: modding an Auto

Tuned autos = sick. With just an intake and tune I beat a pretty much stock manual... ~10 car lengths by 100.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:47 AM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

I made the decision to go with a Whipple after driving an auto. Going down the freeway at 80mph(Whipple car) I punched it, and the car lit up like it was leaving the starting line. It broke the wheels loose and lit `em up. I was sold at that point. I have a 5 spd!
Old 05-11-2007, 05:27 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

I might have miss read or atleast misunderstood your post!

Now you went somewhere that someone claims to be a kick a$$ Mustang shop and you learn from either there or somewhere else one can only make an automatic Mustangas fast as a stock manual Mustangafter adding CAI, tune, and gears to the automatic car??

Dude please do some research!!!

A good tune WAKES UP THE AUTO! I don't thinkI can put it any clearer then that! A tuned auto NEVER misses an upshift! Yes I have had my auto 'hunt' for the right gear as it's unsure of what I'm doing sometimes. (you know; twisty road, hard braking, hard throttle, back and forth brake, gas brake, gas, but really getting it, and having to much HP I can't just floor it I have to pedal it, yea those times it hunts) Then,sometimes whenit doesn't do EXACTLY what I wanted it to or thought is should have, usually a quick jab to the loud petal and it smartens right up and remembers who's driving who!Also most of the time when I'm out playing on my favorite twisty roadI leave it in 3rdjust to make sure I don't get going TOO fast and can rally from 10 to 100. I can keep both hands on the wheel and drive, but Iwould gladly play with any manual though this 11 mile stretch! Please read this right:I'm NOT claiming my car can beat any car! I'm saying not ALL Mustang automatics are pigs!Wedrove around our GTas pretty much a sleeper for a year, with500+ hp and from the outside all one could tell was it had different rims and might be lower to the trained eye. No one could see the suspensionand brake upgrades!

To just go around thinking that a sports car can't have an automatic in todays world is just WRONG! But some still do..........
Old 05-11-2007, 06:24 AM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

Huh? Dude, You definitely missed something in the translation here! I liked the auto in the car I drove. It made me wish I'd bought one of them instead. I'm hoping you were referring to the first post.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:31 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Not sure either butI think he meant the original post. I see your point on the auto, but I have a stick as well!
Old 05-11-2007, 07:56 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

Sorry guys! Very nice rides you each have!
Yes I was directing that post to the OP pxdig

btw scotte NICE NUMBERS! I'm sure you know what I mean by petaling around some 30-50 mph sharpcorners!
I not taking anything away from the stick as they are fun! Our twin turbo stealth was pushing 450 through a6 speed, but AWD & AWS made it a breeze to drive hard! (spinning 4 wheelsand drifting whenthe chassis becameunloaded because of unlevel roadsunder full boost was kind of cool!I takes a heck of a driver in a S-197 with HP to keep up with an AWD sports car in the tight twisties! but that's not the subject here!
Old 05-11-2007, 09:41 AM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

It depends on which gears are installed as to which one is quicker. A manual with a 3.55 and a good driver will likely beat an auto with only minor work and a 3.31 rear. On equal ground, mods, gears etc., it becomes more of a drivers race. On a twisty road, I'd rather have the auto. For a play car, the manual can be more fun. Neither really have much of an advantage on the other as it depends on the driver.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:32 AM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

haha, I like the auto's. the only reason I could imagine getting a manual is only because you CONTROL the car. a manual just seems more fun. but either way, both manual and auto Mustangsare fast as hell!!! I have taken a stock 2007 manual mustang with the 3.55 ratios...
Old 05-11-2007, 11:52 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dirtydeedsinc

It depends on which gears are installed as to which one is quicker. A manual with a 3.55 and a good driver will likely beat an auto with only minor work and a 3.31 rear.

Depends on how far they are racing. Anything over 1/2 mile, the auto 3.31 will have him. Higher top speed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: modding an Auto